So, Who thinks puerto rico should be granted statehood?

magley64

Well, since we are not in the business of conquering and colonizing anymore, Puerto Rico and DC are really the last options for statehood (unless Newt gingrich grants statehood to moon bases)

I can't really come up with any reasons why they shouldn't.

It would be a financial drain on the US gov't. I would think that a significant percentage of people in PR would fall under the poverty line and qualify for US public welfare programs.

I don't see how the we could support that fiscally.

It would be a financial drain on the US gov't. I would think that a significant percentage of people in PR would fall under the poverty line and qualify for US public welfare programs.

you don't think their tourism and natural resources would outweigh the strain on social programs?

you don't think their tourism and natural resources would outweigh the strain on social programs?

Based on standard of living, I would have to say no. I would imagine they would be the "poorest" state.

If they discovered substantial oil or gold reserves I would think everyone in D.C. would be tripping over each other to convince them to apply for statehood.

Based on this you have some valid points, but it appears we're already "footing the bill" so to speak...

http://www.topuertorico.org/economy.shtml

Does the change of relationship from territory to state change the benefit/cost relationship between the united states and PR?

They have a 14% unemployment rate and a $60billion (although, what's another 60 billion, when you already have trillion dollar deficits) deficit that we would inherit. I'm not against it, but I think it may be an extra strain on the budget.

I am not against adding states. There is no reason that Alaska and Hawaii should be the last ones. But the US isn't the same economic juggernaut it was when we added #49 & 50. We could absorb their economic challenges without much concern.

Peurto Rico or other terrtories could be added but (IMO) they would need to meet some minimum theshold for per capita GDP, infrastructure, existence of schools, etc.

This isn't the first time it's come up. They have to vote for it themselves. The last time, they turned it down. They didn't like the idea of paying federal taxes, I think. We'll see what happens this time.

Puerto Rico is a US territory. Residents there already qualify for many US public welfare programs and government assistance. Additionally many Puerto Rican residents already pay federal taxes, and they all pay into Social Security, Medicare, unemployment, etc.

Puerto Rico is a US territory. Residents there already qualify for many US public welfare programs and government assistance. Additionally many Puerto Rican residents already pay federal taxes, and they all pay into Social Security, Medicare, unemployment, etc.

this is what i was thinking, we're already footing the bill...

I don't know what difference statehood would make.

this is what i was thinking, we're already footing the bill...

I don't know what difference statehood would make.

Electoral votes.

They are majority democrats as evedenced by their social program abuse and runaway debt. Being a state would entitle them to more access to federal funding though....... sound like just the thing we need though. I'm all for it. No since in pussy footing around with this slow slide into economic failure. Lets bring more democrats on board and dive right in to third world status!