RC car racing?

gixxie750

I raced 1/10th scale indoor offroad carpet back when I was in Pa. I was running all associated stuff, T4, B4, and SC10. Kept it for a few months after moving out here then sold it all, because I wasn't racing anymore and didnt want to hold on and have it depreciate.

Hobby is a blast. Really the recurring costs are not bad at all, it is the initial setup that scares people away from racing. I had an easy $1500 in my gear, but that was top end electronics for 3 cars. That was buying used equipment at "deal" prices too, only thing I bought new were motors($80). I liquidated my equipment in the span of about 2 track visits....broke about even.

hobbypartz.com - chargers, batteries and if you want to skimp on any other electronics

If you are going to race, see what people are running and what parts are available at the track....run that brand.

Here is a buddy's video from PT Raceway close to Monroeville Pa. It is onboard of an associated b4, he is normally more consistent, but the camera upsets the suspension. We used to race bumper to bumper for laps on end.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7b_Me-Zeae8

This is from one of the places I used to race at.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQk7Apu_niY

i had a radioshack x-mod i took to a couple hobby shops when i was a tween. dad got me a lithium set up, so it smoked any of the mini-z's in a straight line. but i couldn't drive it for shit. 1/28 scale though, smaller than all of those. it was awesome in a parking lot though.

I used to run an associated rc-10c buggy. The old school gold aluminum tub chassis, championship edition car. Had well over $1k into the car and gear. All the good stuff, the Novak mosfet speed controller running 14V, Hand wound Bud's racing motor, full ball bearing kit, locked out diff. Sold the thing on E-bay years ago. I'm sure I have some pictures of it somewhere but not a clue where they are hidden. :nono: There certainly are days I miss that car, right up until I think of the repair costs. :D

track in Wilimington, just east of I-71 on SR73.

I had a Traxxas Revo nitro, and it was amazing. Bulletproof.

Loved that one, so tried the JATO, and couldn't control it (too much power, tires couldn't keep up with the engine). I float in and out of RC every few years.

I agree, Nitro is the way to go.

A couple of friends and I race at Go Fast RC Track in Batavia during the winter (when we do a lot less shooting than in the summer). We know the owners really well, so we go and watch the races and occasionally enter to get our asses kicked by the pros (we do 1/10 4WD SCT). The track is a huge indoor offroad facility that's heated, so it's pretty entertaining. If anyone from that area wants a place to run the cars, here's the site: http://www.gofastrc.com/

track in Wilimington, just east of I-71 on SR73.

I had a Traxxas Revo nitro, and it was amazing. Bulletproof.

Loved that one, so tried the JATO, and couldn't control it (too much power, tires couldn't keep up with the engine). I float in and out of RC every few years.

I agree, Nitro is the way to go.

Going to that track too!

A couple of friends and I race at Go Fast RC Track in Batavia during the winter (when we do a lot less shooting than in the summer). We know the owners really well, so we go and watch the races and occasionally enter to get our asses kicked by the pros (we do 1/10 4WD SCT). The track is a huge indoor offroad facility that's heated, so it's pretty entertaining. If anyone from that area wants a place to run the cars, here's the site: http://www.gofastrc.com/

Glad u posted this!! Its like 10 min from my house.

I used to run an associated rc-10c buggy. The old school gold aluminum tub chassis, championship edition car. Had well over $1k into the car and gear. All the good stuff, the Novak mosfet speed controller running 14V, Hand wound Bud's racing motor, full ball bearing kit, locked out diff. Sold the thing on E-bay years ago. I'm sure I have some pictures of it somewhere but not a clue where they are hidden. :nono: There certainly are days I miss that car, right up until I think of the repair costs. :D

I was a Kyosho guy, had the original Ultima 2wd 10th scale with aluminum tub and converted to carbon fiber chassis. All carbon fiber towers, platinum shocks, all ball bearing kit, belt drive conversion, Novak SC, 7.2v & 8.4v, pile of motors, pile of wheels/tires, Airtronics XL2P and all back in the mid 80's. Well over $1k invested into mine too. HuberHeights had an indoor dirt oval and OffRoad course ( Ohio RC Raceway ) that we would frequent. Had a few outdoor tracks in our area back then too. Fun hobby for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

I have 2 OFNA 4wd 1/8 buggys. One was my son's that he lost interest in with the stock .26 big block in it and mine is way wicked modded with a Hyper .21, ceramic bearings, performance exhaust, big bore shocks, modded Jammin suspension and is stupid fast. Handles like it is on rails and soaks up the jumps. I also use a spread spectrum radio so I get no interference with anybody, it's what most folks use now any how. I also used to race outdoors on a local track but they have shut down since and mostly just bash mine around. Still great fun to smell that nitro burn but it also very expensive. No way to recover the money I have invested in mine, so I just have fun with about once a year and that's it.

That track posted above looks like a great place, have fun with it but be ready to spend stupid money.

Just went racing last night. Old buddy let me run his 2wd B4, came in 4th out of 8 buggies. Track was so busy we didnt get any time to test between heats, so adjustments were made on the fly. Finally got it handling well for the mains, but I loosened up the slipper too much and didn't have any punch coming out of the turns. Compensated by running wide lines entering and exiting turns to carry momentum, but people kept shoving their nose up the inside and forcing me out wide. Was a good battle and a fun time even without winning.

not racing but this is when i fist got the car... we really wanted to see what it could do and learning to drive it was differant but here ya go i have other vids i just need to find them

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CC-xltCphQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y73Rs39g4Kw

• 11 months later...

I have a Traxxas Rustler VXL geared and running at 95mph with a 3 cell 11.1 lipo. Replaced a lot of the plastic parts with Integy Evolution kit,stock stuff didn't hold well to bashing very long.

I use to get the rc cars/trucks from Radio Shack back in the day (I was 15). I think my rc car I had would do about 30-40 lol. It was crazy fun. I'm considering asking Santa Claus for something like u have for Christmas lol