Current V-4 engines, 600cc - 800cc ???

JackFlash

V-4 engines are elegant engineering designs.

Compared to I-4 they can be narrower.

Compared to V-2 they can rev higher and produce higher peak power.

However they are more complicated than either and usually slightly heavier also.

As mentioned midsized bikes are very price sensitive so the V4 has disappeared.

So why are you stuck on V4. There are plenty of light sport touring bikes with I4, I3, V2 and parallel twin motors. The differences between motors is usually one of the smaller differences in bikes.

SV650, Gladius, Ninja 650, Street Triple, Monster 696, FZ6r GSX650R. Lots of choices in this range.

V-4 engines are elegant engineering designs.

Compared to I-4 they can be narrower.

Compared to V-2 they can rev higher and produce higher peak power.

So why are you stuck on V4. ..... The differences between motors is usually one of the smaller differences in bikes.

Right there are a couple of reasons I find them interesting. I'm not stuck on them but I'm not ruling them out either. They seem to offer a good middle ground between the V-Twins and I-4's.

I'm in research mode and still learning the pros and cons of different engines. I was under the impression that the engine was one of the major differences in bikes.

See? I still have a lot to learn.

SV650, Gladius, Ninja 650, Street Triple, Monster 696, FZ6r GSX650R. Lots of choices in this range.

I checked out the Gladius before I bought the bike I have now. I checked out the Ninja 650 a couple months ago. I'm wanting to check out an SV 650. And the Pokemon has me checking out the FZ6r.

I'm enjoying this adventure in learning. I don't have to make any decisions before I'm ready to buy. All of the suggestions I've received have helped to narrow the selection process for me. I'm reading up on these bikes as I get time and I'm getting a much better feel for what is what.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

Just an FYI Rides did a spread on Honda's new NC700X its a parallel-twin. I know you had mentioned a V4 but look at his one. I was actually thinking about getting one here in addition to the CBR600. Plus you can't beat that starting price around $7,000 Here's some links:

http://powersports.honda.com/2012/nc700x.aspx

http://www.ridermagazine.com/road-tests/2012-honda-nc700x-dct-abs-road-test.htm

http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-stories/2012-honda-nc700x-first-look.htm

+1 Great reviews, my buddy has one, and loves it !!!!!

Right there are a couple of reasons I find them interesting. I'm not stuck on them but I'm not ruling them out either. They seem to offer a good middle ground between the V-Twins and I-4's.

I'm in research mode and still learning the pros and cons of different engines. I was under the impression that the engine was one of the major differences in bikes.

See? I still have a lot to learn.

Engines are a significant difference between bikes. But from what ive seen engine configuration is not all that important. Especially in less racing oriented machines. Hence the reason why there are 4 different configurations available in the same bike category. Between counter balancers, tuning and design tweeks the different configurations can be made to suit the manufacturers requirements.

Even in race categories V2, V4, I4 and I3 all compete fairly closely.

So I really think, comfort, price, and other features are more important than engine configuration.

Craig

PS Currently a fan of the 90 degree V-twin as that is what is in my current bike. :D

Engines are a significant difference between bikes. But from what ive seen engine configuration is not all that important. Especially in less racing oriented machines. Hence the reason why there are 4 different configurations available in the same bike category. Between counter balancers, tuning and design tweeks the different configurations can be made to suit the manufacturers requirements.

Even in race categories V2, V4, I4 and I3 all compete fairly closely.

So I really think, comfort, price, and other features are more important than engine configuration.

Craig

PS Currently a fan of the 90 degree V-twin as that is what is in my current bike. :D

More of an "L" twin isnt it?