Magpul MBUS

r1crusher

Okay...having acquired a new M&P15 OR I need to get some backup sights. I have been considering getting some MBUS. Now, my problem is that I don't have a fixed front sight, I have a picitiny on the gas block which I'd like to put the sight on. I have heard and read that due to it being poly that it will melt with an kind of high continuous round count.

I don't ever plan on putting four 30 round mags through it all at one time. I would like to get some tactical training with it at some point but even then I wouldn't expect that would cause it to melt.

I do plan on changing out the hand guard to probably a MOE at some point so if that lends itself to a solution, do tell.

SO....I'm hoping that those that have experience or friend/coworkers with experience w/ MBUS sights on gas blocks possibly would give me some feedback.

Flat fish, Walther, Parks, Midget, etc., all opinions welcomed.

Thanks!

Edited by r1crusher

Magpul recommends against it and says so on their site, citing "heat issues" and that is why only a hand guard height it available (shorter). I don't know how it would work in practice but I am sure enough people have bought them and tried it out anyway so I will defer to actual experience

The gas block pictanny uses a slightly taller front sight. A different type. Since it's lower than the sights on the flat top or handguard. Most are probably metal, although polycarbonate takes a bunch of heat. I don't remember magpul making these, so yeah, most are probably metal. I'm looking for a webpage that I saw that showed a bunch of them. This will take a while.

ARR-153_a.jpg

http://cdn1.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd_images/bgprod/ARR-153_a.jpg

Edited by ReconRat

Here, Midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=96&newcategorydimensionid=15523

Same deal at Primary Arms:

https://www.primaryarms.com/Midwest_Industries_Front_FlipUp_Sight_Gas_Bl_p/mctar-ffgfde.htm

Cheaperthandirt:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/prod/Gas_Block_Height_Front_Sight

The front sights either say "handguard height" or "gas block height"

(there's a "tall" gas block rail also, see the pic in the post above)

edit: Somewhere I saw a discount for that type front sight if buying the matching rear sight at the same time...

Edited by ReconRat

Well, John stopped over last night with some leftover goodies he had mounted up on a couple of his ARs. One was an extended carbine quad rail w/ a MBUS front sight. This setup pretty much removed all fears that I had but I still want a MOE hand guard because it feels so much better to me. I would love to see an MOE hand guard redesign with a flat top that you can then mount a section of picitiny to and it be on plane with the upper. Seems like something simple and adds more versatility to it.

So I'll run the quad and see how I like it for now. Need to get some quad covers for it though.

Well, John stopped over last night with some leftover goodies he had mounted up on a couple of his ARs. One was an extended carbine quad rail w/ a MBUS front sight. This setup pretty much removed all fears that I had but I still want a MOE hand guard because it feels so much better to me. I would love to see an MOE hand guard redesign with a flat top that you can then mount a section of picitiny to and it be on plane with the upper. Seems like something simple and adds more versatility to it.

So I'll run the quad and see how I like it for now. Need to get some quad covers for it though.

Check out the ladder style covers.