55 gallon tank build

chevysoldier

Got a 55g tank from crb. Gonna post progress up in here.

So far I got it home and cleaned it up real well. Today I picked up play sand for substrate, washed it and filled it to about 1.25" deep. I am planning on going with all live plants, real driftwood and real rocks. I have a HOB filter and a Fluval 304 that I can use, not sure which I will. Minimal filtration meaning floss only and no ceramics or carbon.

Not sure about stocking yet though. It will have Malaysian Trumpet snails I'll rehome from the other tank and probably about 8 Platies I am getting from my aunt. Tossing around the idea of 3 Yoyo loaches, Swordtails, Cherry or Gold Barbs and Endlers.

photobucket-2843-1322472200837.jpg

photobucket-2772-1322621491509.jpg

Keep us updated on this! I might attempt a planted tank with the 55 that I have sitting in the basement, and might need some pointers! I would LOVE to do some discus, but they are expensive! At AA they have that awesome corner tank that's planted with a bunch of marble angels, or I thought about some gourami's.

I will. Today I filled the tank, used some seeded media in the filter as well as a rock decoration from the other tank. These will be removed when the plants go in. I also added about a dozen Trumpet snails. It's a really neat having the snails in there. Makes the tank kind of come alive seeing the trails from the snails all over the place.

From my research and fish forums I think I am ready. Biggest thing is little to no surface agitation at this removes CO2 and adds oxygen, meaning no bubbler either. Lighting around around 6500K. No biological filtration as this competes with the plants for nutrients. And no chemical filtration like carbon as this removes nutrients. Basically it should almost be self sustaining.