who knows 2-strokes?

redkow97

Sold the Honda, so I have some cash burning a hole in my pocket. a '72 Yamaha R5 350cc 2-stroke caught my eye on CL.

Not running, and there are some dings and dents here and there, but it's complete. (CL link, until it expires http://cleveland.craigslist.org/mcy/3450644714.html)

Is this worth a $400 offer, and paying $500?

I don't get to do a ton of street riding, so a cheap bike is attractive. I had considered everything from a first-gen SV650 to a first-gen ninja 250 just for grins. Then I found this, and thought to myself, "well shit... If I'm going to ride a cheap, low-powered bike, it may as well be a cool, old cheap low powered bike that has some character, and is stupid-simple to work on."

I mean, it's an air-cooled 2-stroke. I have been led to believe a trained monkey could get it running. (running well is a different story, but you get the point)

so do it, or keep the money and avoid the inevitable headaches that come with a mild restoration?

I'd agree with Jeff on that one. There are probably others out there however it's pretty hard to find an old school two stroke (at least in Michigan) I rode an RZ350 variation and it was probably the most enjoyable bike I've ridden on the street and I'd love to own one again someday. Really any of the twin old school bikes will be fun and easy.

GOPR0026.JPG

The 72 Yamaha R5 350cc is the precursor to the famed Yamaha RD series. A lot of parts are interchangeable and there is tons of stuff on ebay for these old school sleepers.

They handle well and can out corner and out accelerate bigger bikes with ease being as they are very light and have the two stroke engines that wind up in a hurry.

Ignition is a weak point, no pun intended but they do go through points and plugs. Until you get the hang of the two stroke motor you will be fouling plugs pretty regularly.

Change the oil often and carry a spare set of plugs/points and have a blast!

Cost more but,

http://columbus.craigslist.org/mcy/3449591389.html

Edited by Strictly Street

Love the RZ350's..I think they are illegal on U.S. roads though. They put that same engine in the Banshee ATV

A good friend of mine has an rz. It's a super sweet ride, and it's legal.

They made a Canadian version without catalyzers on the exhaust system and the US versions had them. The Canadian ones ran better until you put Toomey or Spec II chambers on.

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

I'm putting back together a '76 Suzuki GT380 right now. Never worked on a 2 stroke before, but it came apart pretty easy...:lol:

I do most of the work on my bikes and there isn't much to an old carb'd 2 stroke. The plan is to eliminate anything that doesn't make it run, keep the headlight and a taillight and use it to bum around when I want to go slow. It won't be a primary source of transportation.

GT380 Pictures

Well, I may pass. The seller says he's firm on price, and I have my eye on an XR100 beater to learn some mechanics on instead.

That will either be fixed, or become a parts bike for whatever xr100 runner I end up with. I'd love to grab the R5, but $600 eats into the budget a bit too much.

I'll help someone else transport it locally if there is interest though. Would love to see it resurrected.