Multi Use Suppressor...Opinions

r1crusher

Been doing some research on getting the most bang (or lack thereof) for my buck with a suppressor that can be used on any rifles I have or might get. I've read that for the most part a 7.62 suppressor can be used with smaller caliber host rifles. That's what I was hoping to hear/read. Now, I also am leaning toward a QD setup as that would make for simpler install and removal from most hosts. I have read that with thread on setups after heavy use it's tough to get it removed. Given that it would be used on smaller calibers such as .22 my other concern which I didn't really think about is lead splatter on the baffles building up. So cleaning it would be something I'd like to be able to do easily and more importantly safely without hurting the suppressor (i.e. finish, material, etc).

Given the AR is a carbine I don't want to have a long ass heavy suppressor and would like to keep it as short as possible but not take away from it's effectiveness. I'm liking the YHM QD Phantom Ti for a number of reasons.

So, I know I'm going to expect something from the flat fish and walther but if anyone else with real world experience in single suppressor-multiple host usage would like to post up I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Been doing some research on getting the most bang (or lack thereof) for my buck with a suppressor that can be used on any rifles I have or might get. I've read that for the most part a 7.62 suppressor can be used with smaller caliber host rifles. That's what I was hoping to hear/read. Now, I also am leaning toward a QD setup as that would make for simpler install and removal from most hosts. I have read that with thread on setups after heavy use it's tough to get it removed. Given that it would be used on smaller calibers such as .22 my other concern which I didn't really think about is lead splatter on the baffles building up. So cleaning it would be something I'd like to be able to do easily and more importantly safely without hurting the suppressor (i.e. finish, material, etc).

Given the AR is a carbine I don't want to have a long ass heavy suppressor and would like to keep it as short as possible but not take away from it's effectiveness. I'm liking the YHM QD Phantom Ti for a number of reasons.

So, I know I'm going to expect something from the flat fish and walther but if anyone else with real world experience in single suppressor-multiple host usage would like to post up I would appreciate it.

Thanks!

Just a few things to consider.

Weight,

Attachment style,

POA vs POI shift

Sound Suppression

Usage

Weight - Ti cans will be lighter but I doubt you would be doing FA or rapid fire mag dumps or else you run the risk of damaging a Ti can

Attachment Style - Single point thread on will be more accurate with QD being a bit faster. I prefer thread on. Also. some QD cans depending on attachment style may loosen during use. Dont worry about removal as you will need to shoot 1000+ centerfire rounds without removal before getting to that point.

POA vs POI shift - Point of aim vs point of impact shift, each suppressor is different but as long as the POI is repeatable and doesnt change every time you screw the can on or go from cold bore to hot rifle you should be good. Accuracy / repeatability is the most important thing for me in a can.

Sound suppression - Some are better than others. Ive shot YHM 7.62 on a .223 and I can tell you it would loud... Some 7.62 cans are much better than others at suppressing smaller calibers.

Usage - You typically dont want to shoot much rimfire through a centerfire can as rimfire is super dirty. Centerfire cans do not require cleaning but rimfire cans typically need cleaned every 500 rounds or so. They are just so much dirtier.

And most important. DO YOUR RESEARCH AND SPEND MORE THAN WHAT YOU INITIALLY THINK. This will save you down the road.

Edited by flounder

His name is Rick, I've been going to him for about 4 years now. Works from his home with 2 businesses: arlans guns and portage motors. He has a full machine shop AMD gunsmithing service and I desperately want to live in his house. Aside from being a very knowledgeable source for all things gun and bike/car he's an incredibly nice guy and cool to hang around with. Every time I go there I end up shooting the shit with him for an hour. He's fully licensed for nfa/title 3 stuff and can do all the paperwork for your tax stamp. He usually stocks a wide variety of cans and he can thread your barrel in house if needed.

Pm me for number. He's in kent.

Thanks for the input. I'm still reading and researching on silencer talk. My push for qd is not having to worry about the different thread types between weapons. I know, nothing a gunsmith can't fix, but that eats into the cost and lessens what I want to get. Ti stuff isn't cheap as you know and I'm trying to stay in a wallet friendly budget. I believe in the you get what you pay for philosophy.

Just get a bunch of them!!!! a 308, 556, 22, 9milli. enjoy

That's what my initial plan was. But, at $200 a stamp on top of the cost of each suppressor, I'm at least going to start off the same way he is for my center fires. I won't dirty it up with .22 as I already have a can for that, but the one I counted on buying this winter for 5.56 will be bigger instead.

Good timing on the thread. Exactly what I'm starting to look in to myself. :)

You and your stupid black out. :D

I'm certainly going to look at doing a dedicated .22 suppressor give what I know now. I'll dig into the POA/POI shifting with QD ones if I can find that in my searches. I already know I'm going to with Ti to keep the weight down and I will not be doing an FA or full mag dumps with it on.

You and your stupid black out. :D

I'm certainly going to look at doing a dedicated .22 suppressor give what I know now. I'll dig into the POA/POI shifting with QD ones if I can find that in my searches. I already know I'm going to with Ti to keep the weight down and I will not be doing an FA or full mag dumps with it on.

As far as attachment goes. Of youre going to use it on multiple hosts with different thread patterns you'll still end up buying multiple QD mounts in addition to the suppressor.

AR are 1/2x28 while most 6.6 and up are 5/8x24, then even larger when you get into 338.

Pistols have varying thread pitches and some are L hand threads instead of right.

This is true but QD mounts are cheaper then barrel rethreading and I don't have to wait weeks to use it on my hosts. I do understand what you're saying though.

Actually, depending on the mount it's the same price. Keep in mind, most competent gunsmiths strive to ensure their threading is concentric to the bore, factory threading , not so much. Now, since you are talking about doing an overbore can, this is less of a concern since the larger diameter means less chance of baffle strikes from a poorly threaded barrel.

Ti is great for bolt gun cans, but for a semi auto you'll want to do the research to see if they are rated for a decent sustained fire.

For an AR, I'd lean more towards an Inconel or stainless construction.

Also, don't use a centerfire can on a 22. 22's will foul the ever loving hell out of a can, and you don't want that in a bigger centerfire can that will likely not be take apart. Get a dedicated .22 can, and get one that comes apart. My recommendation would be the SWR Spectre II. I have the spectre I and the newer version is an improvement, not to mention cheaper.

Call me before you talk to anyone about purchasing, one of my closest friends is a dealer/class 2 manufacturer and I can probably get you a better deal through him.

FYI for those interested, this is a vid of what a 308 through a suppressor sounds like at 100yards when the rounds impact an AR400 steel plate. These shots are alternating rounds with the first shot being 175SMk at around 2660fps. The second shot is a Subsonic load using Hornady 180grain round nose around 1015fps. You'll notice the difference in elevation where the round hits on the plate. I was also holding 2.5mils high and still hit low to make sure I didnt stack the rounds on top of each other on the plate and had 2 distinct groups. The difference between a full power load and a sub .308 load at 100 yards is about 3.5 mils difference or *about 12.6' difference.

Wind was about 13mph

Again these are alternating loads just to show the sound signature at 100 when using a can. Notice you do not hear the report of the rifle and only hear the impact on the steel.

Youll want to watch this full screen and turn the sound up.

http://s150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/udaytongsx/?action=view&current=308FullvsSubs.mp4

• 3 weeks later...

Well, what have you found?:popcorn:

I might have gone a bit over budget buying ar stuff this month, and still want to find an AR-10 lower if I can get one without paying too much just to have one, but I still want to order my multi caliber can in January.