Long term savings plans

Bad324

Im not the best one to take investment advice from but for the most part i put my retirement funds in index funds and don't touch them.

Usually use ones based on a wide market range like the Wilshire 5000 though some is based on S&P 500.

My thought is that:

1) The market nearly always beats fixed investments over the long term

2) These types of funds provide some diversification within the market.

3) These types of funds have lower fees than managed funds.

4) I dont trust others to guess correctly on what to investment in.

I am very hands off with my investments and most analysis tools say my retirement investments are too aggressive in securities. So take my advice with a grain of salt.

Craig

If you had $10k to invest for the future, what would your plan be? What would your plan be if you were pretty conservative and didn't wan't to have to constantly maintain it :D

Need more information time? Tax bracket? etc etc

Start a Roth IRA can always pull the principal without penalty let the income continue to generate $

How about Muni Bonds tax free reinvest the income into say maybe a Growth and income fund.

Edited by c7fx

3-12 acres alskan lakefront or river front property. No property taxes. Alaska is selling their state owned lands every year at auction then the lands that do not sell you can purchase literally with a credit card over the phone. Check out the Alaskan DNR. I about bought a lot on Chleca lake. Some of these lakes were stocked in the 60's and 70's. there are usually property appraisal document with pictures.

Edited by Gump

Need more information time? Tax bracket? etc etc

Start a Roth IRA can always pull the principal without penalty let the income continue to generate $

How about Muni Bonds tax free reinvest the income into say maybe a Growth and income fund.

I do have a Roth IRA already and my first thought was to just dump it all in there but figured I would get some other ideas before going that route

Beyond savings accounts and cd's, I know very little about long term investing which is why I figured this would be a good place to start getting ideas to look in to

Define your use of the word "future" with respect to time frame. 5 yrs? 10 yrs? 25+ yrs? Given the prospect for near-term growth in the broad market looking like it's gonna fall WAY short of the recent historic benchmark of 11-12% annual growth, your maturity horizon is pretty important as to where you put it.

If I assume you're looking at tapping into it at retirement 25 years or more from today, I'd say stocks. My preference is a portfolio of 5-10 blue chips with long-term dividend growth performance. Coke, J&J, P&G, Exxon, Caterpillar, Merck, Pfizer, Walmart, Mcdonalds, quite a few more. Reinvest the dividends for steady portfolio growth. Of course, the historic record of dividend growth may not play out in an uncertain future, so for greater investment safety, a broadly diversified portfolio offered by a low-fee stock mutual fund or ETF from Vanguard or Fidelity might be wiser.

Setting it up within a tax-deferred instrument like an IRA or Roth-IRA is the wisest, but with the uncertainty of impending tax increases, it's pretty much a crap shoot as to what happens that far out. Good luck. Of course, you COULD blow it all on fast motorcycles and hope your kids and the State will take care of you in your old age... :rolleyes:

Of course, your post signature may be prophetic as to how this will turn out if you accept any of the recos you get here....

Originally Posted by jbot

you ask for opinions on a forum full of potential strange assholes, you get strange asshole opinions. if YOU don't like that, don't post while looking up at us expectantly with your puppy eyes, putting your jaws around the curb and hoping for nothing but unicorns and good feelings... you're just gonna get your feelings curb stomped like just another innocent puppy on the internet

I do have a Roth IRA already and my first thought was to just dump it all in there but figured I would get some other ideas before going that route

Beyond savings accounts and cd's, I know very little about long term investing which is why I figured this would be a good place to start getting ideas to look in to

What did you invest in within your Roth? Cd's? Savings accounts and Cd's aren't paying when rates are as low as they are. Again for tax reasons and who knows whats going to happen with the fiscal cliff dumping it into a tax shelter like a Roth is a good idea....Dumping 5k (max) for last year and 5K this coming year is not a bad idea.

Take some time and educate yourself with the market. Lots of great companies trading far below what their value should be. Also add in some of these companies paying 5% or better in dividends all within a tax shelter called your Roth. If your not into Stock look into some quality Mutual funds

Of course, your post signature may be prophetic as to how this will turn out if you accept any of the recos you get here....

unless you know how to play it right like myself. Get the ideas and then research them further myself and make my decision ;)

What did you invest in within your Roth? Cd's? Savings accounts and Cd's aren't paying when rates are as low as they are. Again for tax reasons and who knows whats going to happen with the fiscal cliff dumping it into a tax shelter like a Roth is a good idea....Dumping 5k (max) for last year and 5K this coming year is not a bad idea.

Take some time and educate yourself with the market. Lots of great companies trading far below what their value should be. Also add in some of these companies paying 5% or better in dividends all within a tax shelter called your Roth. If your not into Stock look into some quality Mutual funds

I don't remember as I set it up almost 2 years ago and haven't even touched it. With buying the house and other stuff I put that on the back burner and now that I'm settled in and have my budget all lined out I wanted to take the time to look into this exact stuff so this is great info, thanks!

This is exactly what we have my wife doing, 5K a year into a Roth until she starts just making deposits and gets her 401K going at work.

You cashed out your 401K r/t costs? What costs? How much did you get spanked on taxes and penalties?

Never understood this, unless it's a small 401K, but people seemed to think that the market tanking meant cash it out asap. I know a late model driver whose parents cashed theirs out because the market dived and he needed a new 40K late model motor. Smart right? Now from what I hear they will have to work until the die, that would suck donkey cock.