School shooting in Connecticut

Scruit

Having or not having a firearm, not sure I would want to tangle with Swingset. He is in fact a most excellent shot and marksman, plus he has pretty powerful looking elbows.

I wouldn't want to tangle with anybody, and I think that's my whole point. I'm not out to start a fight, I keep to myself, and I don't have anything of particular value that anyone would want. Nobody would have anything at all to gain by shooting at me... just things to lose.

I wouldn't want to tangle with anybody, and I think that's my whole point. I'm not out to start a fight, I keep to myself, and I don't have anything of particular value that anyone would want. Nobody would have anything at all to gain by shooting at me... just things to lose.

Bet those kids, teachers, mall shoppers all felt the same way.

• Upvote 1

Bet those kids, teachers, mall shoppers all felt the same way.

I'm sure, and those that shot them did in fact lose everything...

I've said it before, and I'll say it a thousand times, I'm 10000 times more likely to die on my motorcycle than by being shot. I'm not going to let the fear of death keep me from living on my terms.

Maybe I'll die in a fiery crash because I was on a motorcycle and not in a volvo, and maybe I'll be fatally shot by an enraged man at the park. The first doesn't scare me enough to stop riding, and the second doesn't scare me enough to buy a gun.

I'm sure, and those that shot them did in fact lose everything...

I've said it before, and I'll say it a thousand times, I'm 10000 times more likely to die on my motorcycle than by being shot. I'm not going to let the fear of death keep me from living on my terms.

Maybe I'll die in a fiery crash because I was on a motorcycle and not in a volvo, and maybe I'll be fatally shot by an enraged man at the park. The first doesn't scare me enough to stop riding, and the second doesn't scare me enough to buy a gun.

You are so dense...

The point is you don't have to have anything for some one to be willing to take everything from you.

You are so dense...

The point is you don't have to have anything for some one to be willing to take everything from you.

the risk is small, very small, very very very small. I take bigger risks in my sleep. I just don't fear people the way some of you seem to, at least not enough to justify carrying the means to instantly kill them 24/7.

Do I think guns are too prevalent, and to easy to acquire? yes..

Am I doing anything proactively to stop it? No, just refusing to acquire one myself.. and try to explain to others why they don't need one either.

the risk is small, very small, very very very small. I take bigger risks in my sleep. I just don't fear people the way some of you seem to, at least not enough to justify carrying the means to instantly kill them 24/7.

Do I think guns are too prevalent, and to easy to acquire? yes..

Am I doing anything proactively to stop it? No, just refusing to acquire one myself.. and try to explain to others why they don't need one either.

Well stated. Futile here it seems.

If they intend to do my family or myself harm your damn right I will kill them 24/7 before they do the same to my family or me.

+1 I'm in no way enfeebled and would rather go mono e mono with fist blows or cage match style even, but the freaks of nature who seek to harm and kill others and use a firearm to ensure their superiority are not going to win by cheating with me. Magley lives in a world of bliss and that is his choice. I know others like him and their choice in no way effects my decision to concealed carry or if needed to provide my help to defend their freedom. In return I simply ask that they not tie my hands or enfeeble me with laws that only protect would be criminals and those bent of evil deeds.;)

• Upvote 1

5 over the air channels, all Sandy Hook coverage... can we please start to move on or are we gonna keep showing nutcases that the world will stop for them?

All but ensuring we'll have more copycats, rinse/repeat.

Then we can blame a whole new set of villains once we go after guns.

Massad Ayoob 12,DEC.,12

The atrocity at the Connecticut elementary school will not be the last such horror, nor was it the first or even the worst. Go back to the year 1764, in what is now Franklin County, Pennsylvania. The first: during Pontiac’s Rebellion in the wake of the French and Indian War, four “warriors” entered a schoolhouse and slaughtered the headmaster and some ten children. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac%27s_Rebellion_school_massacre . The worst: in 1927, a crazed monster beat his wife to death, then triggered a bombing in an elementary school in Bath, Michigan, killing some 38 kids and several adults. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster .

I’ll repeat what I said in the Wall Street Journal op-ed section and on the Today show in 1999, after the Columbine High School atrocity: if we simply prepared teachers to handle this type of crisis the way we teach them to handle fires and medical emergencies, the death toll would drop dramatically. We don’t hear of mass deaths of children in school fires these days: fire drills have long since been commonplace, led by trained school staff, not to mention sprinkler systems and smoke alarms and strategically placed fire extinguishers that can nip a blaze in the bud while firefighters are en route. In the past, if someone “dropped dead,” people would cry and wring their hands and wail, “When will the ambulance get here?” Today, almost every responsible adult knows CPR; most schools have easily-operated Automatic Electronic Defibrillators readily accessible; and a heart attack victim’s chance of surviving until the paramedics arrive to take over is now far greater.

The same principle works for defending against mass murders…it just doesn’t work HERE, because it is politically incorrect to employ it HERE. After the Ma’alot massacre in 1974, Israel instituted a policy in which volunteer school personnel, parents, and grandparents received special training from the civil guard, and were seeded throughout the schools armed with discreetly concealed 9mm semiautomatic pistols. Since that time, there has been no successful mass murder at an Israeli school, and every attempt at such has been quickly shortstopped by the good guys’ gunfire, with minimal casualties among the innocent. Similar programs are in place in Peru and the Phillippines, with similarly successful results.

Some people see the logic in the Israeli approach. Dave Workman does, as seen here: http://www.examiner.com/article/obama-wants-action-regardless-of-politics-after-gun-free-school-zone-tragedy?cid=db_articles . Ann Coulter does, as seen here: http://www.thewrap.com/media/column-post/newtown-school-shootings-ann-coulter-makes-her-case-concealed-carry-laws-69361 .

Unfortunately, in this country, logic has been buried under political correctness. Those in power whose ego is invested in brie et Chablis values that include scorn for the peasantry they accuse of “clinging to guns and Bibles” will never see that logic. Children will continue to die in gun-free zones hunting preserves for psychopathic murderers, and the cowardly murderers will continue to surrender or kill themselves as soon as armed good guys show up…far too late.

• Upvote 1

Massad Ayoob 12,DEC.,12

The atrocity at the Connecticut elementary school will not be the last such horror, nor was it the first or even the worst. Go back to the year 1764, in what is now Franklin County, Pennsylvania. The first: during Pontiac’s Rebellion in the wake of the French and Indian War, four “warriors” entered a schoolhouse and slaughtered the headmaster and some ten children. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pontiac%27s_Rebellion_school_massacre . The worst: in 1927, a crazed monster beat his wife to death, then triggered a bombing in an elementary school in Bath, Michigan, killing some 38 kids and several adults. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster .

I’ll repeat what I said in the Wall Street Journal op-ed section and on the Today show in 1999, after the Columbine High School atrocity: if we simply prepared teachers to handle this type of crisis the way we teach them to handle fires and medical emergencies, the death toll would drop dramatically. We don’t hear of mass deaths of children in school fires these days: fire drills have long since been commonplace, led by trained school staff, not to mention sprinkler systems and smoke alarms and strategically placed fire extinguishers that can nip a blaze in the bud while firefighters are en route. In the past, if someone “dropped dead,” people would cry and wring their hands and wail, “When will the ambulance get here?” Today, almost every responsible adult knows CPR; most schools have easily-operated Automatic Electronic Defibrillators readily accessible; and a heart attack victim’s chance of surviving until the paramedics arrive to take over is now far greater.

The same principle works for defending against mass murders…it just doesn’t work HERE, because it is politically incorrect to employ it HERE. After the Ma’alot massacre in 1974, Israel instituted a policy in which volunteer school personnel, parents, and grandparents received special training from the civil guard, and were seeded throughout the schools armed with discreetly concealed 9mm semiautomatic pistols. Since that time, there has been no successful mass murder at an Israeli school, and every attempt at such has been quickly shortstopped by the good guys’ gunfire, with minimal casualties among the innocent. Similar programs are in place in Peru and the Phillippines, with similarly successful results.

Some people see the logic in the Israeli approach. Dave Workman does, as seen here: http://www.examiner.com/article/obama-wants-action-regardless-of-politics-after-gun-free-school-zone-tragedy?cid=db_articles . Ann Coulter does, as seen here: http://www.thewrap.com/media/column-post/newtown-school-shootings-ann-coulter-makes-her-case-concealed-carry-laws-69361 .

Unfortunately, in this country, logic has been buried under political correctness. Those in power whose ego is invested in brie et Chablis values that include scorn for the peasantry they accuse of “clinging to guns and Bibles” will never see that logic. Children will continue to die in gun-free zones hunting preserves for psychopathic murderers, and the cowardly murderers will continue to surrender or kill themselves as soon as armed good guys show up…far too late.

I've read some books of Mr Ayoob's and he is pretty much the go to guy on stuff like this.

Here is a snippet from another on if my favorite blogs.

A 20 year-old had a couple of handguns (illegal). And, depending on the press report, had an assault weapon (illegal), automatic rifle (illegal), or machine gun (illegal). Shot his mom in the face (illegal). Stole his mom’s vehicle (illegal). Transported the gun in the vehicle (illegal) within 1,000 feet of a school (illegal). Carried it onto school property (illegal). Broke and entered (illegal). Carried a gun in a school (illegal). Discharged a firearm (illegal). Shot at people (illegal). Killed some people (illegal). Killed himself (not sure if illegal)

Link http://www.saysuncle.com/2012/12/15/just-one-more/

I am currently in Las Vegas on vacation. I plan to visit one of the local gun stores in the area. I suspect I will find AR's, AK's and mags with more then 10 rounds flying off the shelves.

I also read on Firingline.com that Discovery channel has cancelled Sons of guns, and the show from that place in Denver. I will look for a link.

Just went to Discovery channel website and still has content for the sons of guns show.

I don't know whether this means there is actually hope that some people value some things more than money, or if this is just a horribly timed op-ed? (The links are cut off, but they are in fact two different stories).

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/12/17/wall-street-invested-in-firearms-is-unlikely-to-push-for-reform/?ref=business

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2012/12/18/cerberus-to-sell-gunmaker-freedom-group/?ref=business