DIY GoPro Windscreen to reduce noise

JStump

So I bought another GoPro, this time with intentions of keeping it since it basically resolved almost all the problems I had with the Hero 2. I got the Hero 3 Black which I have to say, I am very impressed with as far as video quality and features, but audio still is lacking when going above 15mph or so. I have resolved that problem though with this!

2032A8DA-00B8-476B-84A2-1ABE1DAB7999-1165-00000055CEF137F7.jpg

5B92E30C-1A9C-41C5-8CC2-36798C6094BD-1165-00000055D6B8F4D3.jpg

Its $6 worth of fake fur,double sided tape, velcro and felt from pat catans HAHA.

Felt was cut so it could be folded 3 times and stuck between the GoPro and skeleton door to stop it from moving and to absorb some wind noise. The tape was cut in several pieces and attached to the GoPro case except on the door, that used the velcro so it could be pulled off easy for normal use. Then I cut the fur into several pieces so it wrapped around the lens and buttons. A quick trim to get the fur out of the lens and she was ready to go!

Video still uploading so quality is shit right now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jpH7s9Bdfgk

Edited by JStump

Saw that and thats what made me do this. I originally tried just the door with some felt and fur but it didnt make that drastic a difference at 50+ mph, by covering the whole body it did a lot! Plus that thing is $25 after shipping, for a small piece of fur and tape.

As soon as iMovie cranks out this video I will have it up. I think I need to upgrade my hardware, this 2 minute 1080p video is killing it :(

Edited by JStump

Yea but Olivia makes it look worth the extra cash, lol. Have you consider'd the external mic?

This may be a valid point haha! And no, not yet. I think this has done the trick, Im on my 4th try uploading this thing so it may be up soon and you can tell me if an external mic would be better.

It was arts and crafts day today at my apartment, I also make this tether because Best Buy's protection plan covers accidental damage but not loss, as someone on here has recently figured out ;) and because I was passing it in pat catans and needed a reason to buy parachute cord haha. Basically 2 16ft parachute cords tied into a 4.5 foot length with small carabinieres on the ends, one end wraps around the suction mount, the other goes into the cars window or around fixture on a bike like a peg or tucked under the seat.

E8358A0D-DB08-4E3F-981E-E0AAAF0855CB-1165-00000083E37B6128.jpg

And after looking at this and the GoPro together, I think I may have just created a pet HAHAHAHA!!!!

656BECCE-892E-47DF-99FB-02218AED5314-1165-00000085DC228ED7.jpg

Edited by JStump

I have had mine up to 140mph with no noise. I think there is a setting in the camera.

Wow, that's really clear. But is it the bike being super loud and overcoming the wind or is it a setting in the camera? Because I have not found anything and if it were able to get sound so clear I don't think there would be a market for what I just made. I would love it if you could find out the setting.

It was arts and crafts day today at my apartment, I also make this tether because Best Buy's protection plan covers accidental damage but not loss, as someone on here has recently figured out ;) and because I was passing it in pat catans and needed a reason to buy parachute cord haha. Basically 2 16ft parachute cords tied into a 4.5 foot length with small carabinieres on the ends, one end wraps around the suction mount, the other goes into the cars window or around fixture on a bike like a peg or tucked under the seat.

E8358A0D-DB08-4E3F-981E-E0AAAF0855CB-1165-00000083E37B6128.jpg

And after looking at this and the GoPro together, I think I may have just created a pet HAHAHAHA!!!!

656BECCE-892E-47DF-99FB-02218AED5314-1165-00000085DC228ED7.jpg

4.5 feet of cord on a bike? That seems like it would be kind of long like it let the camera hit the ground. Or like it could get tangled in some important stuff like chain or wheels. Why not attach the lanyard to the camera instead of the bike, what happens if the camera separates from the mount?

4.5 feet of cord on a bike? That seems like it would be kind of long like it let the camera hit the ground. Or like it could get tangled in some important stuff like chain or wheels. Why not attach the lanyard to the camera instead of the bike, what happens if the camera separates from the mount?

Did it mostly for the car to roll up in the window or something, it's definitely too much for the bike. I like the fishing line idea though. Don't really care if it gets damaged though since I have coverage for that. I also don't think the camera is going to desperate from the mount. It's pretty well secured to the mount.

Edited by JStump

Did it mostly for the car to roll up in the window or something, it's definitely too much for the bike. I like the fishing line idea though. Don't really care if it gets damaged though since I have coverage for that. I also don't think the camera is going to desperate from the mount. It's pretty well secured to the mount.

User error could come into play. I had my contour out for the first time and after starting back up after a stop it became unsecured from the mount because I didn't put it all the way back on. But it came with a lanyard that saved it.

The hero2 has a setting for hi/lo sound settings you want lo provided the 3 has it.

Just checked the capture settings and the setup sections of the preferences and the only thing I found was the beep on/off settings, no volume settings. I do have this thing called protune though which I think is new on the hero 3, no idea what it does though.

According to their press release, the GoPro Protune firmware upgrade adds key features critical for high end film and television broadcast productions, including:

24fps frame rate, enabling GoPro HERO2 content to be easily intercut with other sources without a frame rate conversion

35Mbps data rate for the industry's highest quality compressed image with virtually zero artifacts

Neutral colour profile, allowing for greater flexibility in a colour correction workflow

Log curve encoding, offering more detail in shadows and highlights

Reduced sharpening and noise reduction for improved flexibility in professional post- production and colour design workflows

Protune Integration with GoPro CineForm Studio: GoPro Protune mode makes integration with GoPro CineForm Studio simple, automatically detecting Protune settings and applying the default adjustments to create stunning images.

After all this I still have no clue...

I have never has wind noise on mine. Were you using the waterproof case?

I never had any issues with noise on mine either. And mine was mounted to

the FRONT of my windscreen, so there was nothing cutting down on the wind.

Do you have to sound level at the lower(est) setting. Don't have mine anymore

but I remember there were two sound level settings, and you always wanted to use the lower one.

I never had any issues with noise on mine either. And mine was mounted to

the FRONT of my windscreen' date=' so there was nothing cutting down on the wind.

Do you have to sound level at the lower(est) setting. Don't have mine anymore

but I remember there were two sound level settings, and you always wanted to use the lower one.[/quote']

Read 2 posts back.