Fork seal leaking after wreck

bshultz0930

So I literally just walked out to my bike since the wreck to start working on it, and I found the only the LF fork seal leaking.. Question is, I know without looking at it, you think it's bent or do you think in the wreck it just blew the seal? I should have the fork out by tonight an see what the seal looks like, but opinions?

With the weight off the front suspension I don't see any visual marks. Ill take it to work with me on Monday and split it and put a straight edge make sure it's not bent. I'm hoping I just got shit down in there and it's causing it to leak. No real bad damage to the front end so I'm crossing my fingers.

With the weight off the front suspension I don't see any visual marks. Ill take it to work with me on Monday and split it and put a straight edge make sure it's not bent. I'm hoping I just got shit down in there and it's causing it to leak. No real bad damage to the front end so I'm crossing my fingers.

Before taking it apart it may be worth trying to clean the seal. A lamenated blockbuster type card will work run it around under the lip of the seal. Also is it on the 00 zx6 you've got listed as your bike? Have the seals ever been replaced? It may be time. It seems the left seal goes first due to always leaning on that side while on the suspension.

Before taking it apart it may be worth trying to clean the seal. A lamenated blockbuster type card will work run it around under the lip of the seal. Also is it on the 00 zx6 you've got listed as your bike? Have the seals ever been replaced? It may be time. It seems the left seal goes first due to always leaning on that side while on the suspension.

HUH!?!?!?! Uh, you know the forks both move up and down at the same time. The inside tube doesn't have any more pressure on it than the outside tube does. Otherwise, if you rode a mostly right handed turn, the right fork tube would get more wear and tear. They are not independant of one another.

That's why you can run a 9.5 right fork or left fork spring and a 10.0 in the other and get a 9.75 rate. They work in unison.

The thought here can be dirt, can be a bent tube, could have resulted from impact and twist from the crash. All sorts of what-ifs. But, because it sits on the kickstand, isn't why a fork tube will go vs the other...

Put zip tyes on your tubes and park it on the stand. Check out the length on both sides when brought back up to the up and down position and measure. Both the same.

HUH!?!?!?! Uh, you know the forks both move up and down at the same time. The inside tube doesn't have any more pressure on it than the outside tube does. Otherwise, if you rode a mostly right handed turn, the right fork tube would get more wear and tear. They are not independant of one another.

That's why you can run a 9.5 right fork or left fork spring and a 10.0 in the other and get a 9.75 rate. They work in unison.

The thought here can be dirt, can be a bent tube, could have resulted from impact and twist from the crash. All sorts of what-ifs. But, because it sits on the kickstand, isn't why a fork tube will go vs the other...

Put zip tyes on your tubes and park it on the stand. Check out the length on both sides when brought back up to the up and down position and measure. Both the same.

I said it seems never said it was fact. Just every time I've had one go out it is the left that is what I was told.

Maybe you should change your name to panty-bunches-Brian

I said it seems never said it was fact. Just every time I've had one go out it is the left that is what I was told.

Maybe you should change your name to panty-bunches-Brian

No panties in a bunch, man. I just hate hearing responses that someone like the OP that has limited knowledge and is impressionable and hears comments like it seems it is always the left fork seal because it is leaned that way all the time. That reference was less like "Seems" and more opinion and could have been seen as something to worry about.

Also, the piston inside isn't what gets scratched and causes a leak. It is the fork tube that can get a knick from road debris, etc and with even the smallest knick, can cause oil to pass and leak.

The fact is if he has that many miles, it probably needs seals. Always do both at the same time as then the fluids are fresh and seals new to start fresh and at square one. Doing just one isn't the choice and the other fork fluid is probably gray matter at this stage...

haha that fluid is BLACK. but yea, took them apart and used a straigh edge and couldnt fit feeler gauges in anywhere. didnt see any debris or marks on the tube. im going to assume that older, worn out seal, took a huge hit and couldnt hold and finally blew out. oh well. seals, dust covers, and fluid ordered. thanks for the insight guys. appreciate it.

No panties in a bunch, man. I just hate hearing responses that someone like the OP that has limited knowledge and is impressionable and hears comments like it seems it is always the left fork seal because it is leaned that way all the time. That reference was less like "Seems" and more opinion and could have been seen as something to worry about.

Also, the piston inside isn't what gets scratched and causes a leak. It is the fork tube that can get a knick from road debris, etc and with even the smallest knick, can cause oil to pass and leak.

The fact is if he has that many miles, it probably needs seals. Always do both at the same time as then the fluids are fresh and seals new to start fresh and at square one. Doing just one isn't the choice and the other fork fluid is probably gray matter at this stage...

I was confused on the nomenclature I thought the tube was the larger female part of the fork and the piston was the shiny male part that moves in and out of the larger part.