For the pro-AWBers

dustinsn3485

WHY? because there are very few nations with ACCESS to nuclear weapons...

"gun control"... same concept... why we're all working so hard as a planet to keep Iran from getting them...

You need to read about the Cold War and Reagan. The reason that countries don't use nuclear weapons is because other countries will nuke them back. It's the same concept with guns. If a criminal knows that I have guns and I'm waiting for him in my house, he is much more likely to rob you instead :D

• Upvote 1

You need to read about the Cold War and Reagan. The reason that countries don't use nuclear weapons is because other countries will nuke them back. It's the same concept with guns. If a criminal knows that I have guns and I'm waiting for him in my house, he is much more likely to rob you instead :D

So why do we care if Iran has a nuclear weapon?

are we infringing on their rights as a nation to spend their R&D dollars as they wish? Or do we realize that Nuclear weapons need to be in the hands of responsible nations and NOBODY else?

So why do we care if Iran has a nuclear weapon?

are we infringing on their rights as a nation to spend their R&D dollars as they wish? Or do we realize that Nuclear weapons need to be in the hands of responsible nations and NOBODY else?

Would you want guns in the hands of a criminal? Iran is a criminal country. They have already proven that.

Would you want guns in the hands of a criminal? Iran is a criminal country. They have already proven that.

that is GUN CONTROL...

one aspect of gun control, who should have access? is it everyone's "right" or is it a "privilege" that can be revoked? What are the limits of firepower that a person should posses? What aptitude and education should one have before being allowed such a responsibility?

Incorrect again. Many criminals forfeit certain rights when they are convicted. For example sex offenders forfeit the right to live wherever they want after they are convicted.

then they aren't rights... are they?

rights are universal, everyone has them...

privileges can be revoked.

Incorrect.

Are you so arrogant that you believe the Bill of Rights to be written in error?

No, they were the best thing going in the 1700's...

I still stand by most of them and their foundations upon which they were written.

welcome to 2012, some things have changed, and some things continue to change... does that mean we throw the constitution out the window? No, it means we amend it to suit our lives and our times.

then they aren't rights... are they?

rights are universal, everyone has them...

privileges can be revoked.

According to our Constitution bearing arms is a right, but it can be taken away if you are convicted of a felony. How does that fit your description?

No, they were the best thing going in the 1700's...

I still stand by most of them and their foundations upon which they were written.

welcome to 2012, some things have changed, and some things continue to change... does that mean we throw the constitution out the window? No, it means we amend it to suit our lives and our times.

I would like to amend it to take away mags freedom of speech, where do we start.

According to our Constitution bearing arms is a right, but it can be taken away if you are convicted of a felony. How does that fit your description?

that's my point, if it can be taken away, it was never a right... but a privilege.

If the government can decide that you no longer have a right, then you never had a right to begin with... you had a privilege.

I'll chime in on this point. In my opinion, we in the United States, being the only country that's ever used nuclear weapons on civilians in anger, lack the moral high ground to "declare" a country "criminal" in the nuclear sense of the word, and in doing so actively deny them access to nuclear technology for peaceful purposes.

that's my point, if it can be taken away, it was never a right... but a privilege.

If the government can decide that you no longer have a right, then you never had a right to begin with... you had a privilege.

So your Freedom of Speech is actually a privilege of speech?

Everyone draw your own lines. Write your congressmen/women tell them what you think should be legal/illegal and have them vote accordingly.

Carry whatever weapons you want to make yourself rest easy at night.

There are more than just 3 groups of people

I'll chime in on this point. In my opinion, we in the United States, being the only country that's ever used nuclear weapons on civilians in anger, lack the moral high ground to "declare" a country "criminal" in the nuclear sense of the word, and in doing so actively deny them access to nuclear technology for peaceful purposes.

It wasn't just the U.S. it is the U.N.. Furthermore, it is highly doubtful by past behaviors that it is for strictly "peaceful purposes."

I agree that we have no moral high ground to stand on.

I don't think it would be beneficial in any way for them to obtain nuclear capability, but I don't know that it's our place to police the world either.

I was using this more as a double standard on "gun rights" that somehow we think gun control is good when it comes to certain weapons, but not for others.