Seems a little odd now they are putting gun show accidents in the news?

cOoTeR

Yes, everything's a conspiracy when it comes to the media. Nevermind that 3(!) different "responsible gun owners" shot either themselves or others on the day that "responsible gun owners" ordained that they should all get together and celebrate the fact that they are "responsible gun owners."

• Upvote 1

Yes, everything's a conspiracy when it comes to the media. Nevermind that 3(!) different "responsible gun owners" shot either themselves or others on the day that "responsible gun owners" ordained that they should all get together and celebrate the fact that they are "responsible gun owners."

I actually agree with you on this one. They are reporting the news. Don't want this to be in the news during this time? Be responsible, don't "accidently" shoot someone during this sensitive time.

One of them happened when the guy was taking the gun out of his case to be checked.

Got you. Don't take a loaded firearm in there DUH! keep your finger out of the trigger area. I've been to fin feather fur and seen them unloading a gun at the front desk that someone is bringing in to sell/trade.

You cant fix stupid.

The first thing I find odd is the 5 people injured at the gun shows when the amount of times this has happened as far as I know is very little. The second thing is with the checks you go through to get in how did most of these happen? Also the timing of this happening along with all the anti gun stuff going on right now.

Did it happen? Yes. Could it all be a bunch of rare accidents on the same day? Possibly. Could it be done purposely by anti gun people? Possibly. Just seems a little odd to me.

This is disgusting on two levels. One is that these stupid people have no gun training or common sense. The other is how the media monsters use the wrong terminologie when reporting. Why in bold type does it say 5 shot at gun shows when it was 3 cases of negligent discarge. I read the title and think someone pointed the gun at the person an shot them.

In a lot of years, I've only seen one accidental discharge at a show. And it was a nut going around putting .22cal rounds in rifles to see if an accident would happen.

media response to this thread --> "look at me! look at me! look at me!"

All media is struggling to survive in changing times. They will do and say anything.

The first thing I find odd is the 5 people injured at the gun shows when the amount of times this has happened as far as I know is very little. The second thing is with the checks you go through to get in how did most of these happen? Also the timing of this happening along with all the anti gun stuff going on right now.

Did it happen? Yes. Could it all be a bunch of rare accidents on the same day? Possibly. Could it be done purposely by anti gun people? Possibly. Just seems a little odd to me.

Could I ask a bunch of rhetorical and blatantly speculative questions without a shred of evidence to back up my claims? Maybe, seems pretty likely.

Why in bold type does it say 5 shot at gun shows when it was 3 cases of negligent discarge. I read the title and think someone pointed the gun at the person an shot them.

I can't say for certain, but it's probably due to the fact that 5 PEOPLE GOT SHOT. Shot being defined as "hit with projectile emanating from a device capable of launching said projectiles". Just because you choose to spin this to your own ends ("responsible gun owners" shooting other "responsible gun owners" is pretty damaging to your case, you have to admit), doesn't diminish or negate the fact that 5(!) people went to the hospital for a GSW.

How is this not expected?

We motivated a whole ton of people who don't practice good gun safety to get up and about at highly populated areas like gun shows.

But I thought you were all "responsible gun owners"? Could you not congregate peaceably to conduct commerce amongst yourselves without fear of the possibility of someone negligently discharging a firearm and inadvertently shooting one or multiple people?

Apparently, that's asking a little too much now.

How is this not expected?

We motivated a whole ton of people who don't practice good gun safety to get up and about at highly populated areas like gun shows.

This. I rarely go to gun shows anyway, but you couldn't pay me to go to one in the current environment. Same goes for public ranges, and even my private gun clubs range on the weekends. Too many noobs right now.

But I thought you were all "responsible gun owners"? Could you not congregate peaceably to conduct commerce amongst yourselves without fear of the possibility of someone negligently discharging a firearm and inadvertently shooting one or multiple people?

Apparently, that's asking a little too much now.

Accidents happen.

More people at shows = more accidents.

Sometimes there are spikes in accidents; for example, multiple plane crashes in a single day.

That doesn't mean planes are unsafe; exact same logic applies here.

You cant blame the car when someone drives one through a grocery store, you have to blame the idiots who take loaded firearms to a show where they are likely to be handled by someone other than yourself.

• Upvote 1

Accidents happen.

More people at shows = more accidents.

Sometimes there are spikes in accidents; for example, multiple plane crashes in a single day.

That doesn't mean planes are unsafe; exact same logic applies here.

You cant blame the car when someone drives one through a grocery store, you have to blame the idiots who take loaded firearms to a show where they are likely to be handled by someone other than yourself.

I understand that accidents happen, I also understand that with any event tracked over time, there are always outliers or freak occurrences that defy the standard deviation.

I also understand that guns are tools that can cause massive harm and/or death if used improperly. It doesn't help your cause that you say on the one hand that firearms need to be handled by "responsible gun owners", yet when those same people handle said firearms, they have multiple "accidents", which endangered multiple people and harmed innocent people.

Accidents happen in your house when you're alone, and the only one you're harming is yourself. In this case, I'm calling it what it is, reckless endangerment.

Accidents happen in your house when you're alone, and the only one you're harming is yourself. In this case, I'm calling it what it is, reckless endangerment.

It wouldn't be an accident if you can define where it happens, who is around and who it occurs to.

Could I ask a bunch of rhetorical and blatantly speculative questions without a shred of evidence to back up my claims? Maybe, seems pretty likely.

I can't say for certain, but it's probably due to the fact that 5 PEOPLE GOT SHOT. Shot being defined as "hit with projectile emanating from a device capable of launching said projectiles". Just because you choose to spin this to your own ends ("responsible gun owners" shooting other "responsible gun owners" is pretty damaging to your case, you have to admit), doesn't diminish or negate the fact that 5(!) people went to the hospital for a GSW.

Do you have evidence to prove that its not more than a coincidence?

Do you have evidence to prove that its not more than a coincidence?

Since you asked...

In 2008, according to the CDC (source here from UPenn) there were 73,622 incidents of non-fatal firearms injuries in the US. 73% of those were interpersonal violence related, so for purposes of this discussion I'm going to assume that 73% of that number was intentional violence. That still leaves 19,877, which translates to 1656 per month, or 59 per day. So no, I don't believe this is coincidence. For "responsible gun owners", 59 a day is a pretty large number. Since I laid my cards on the table, please cite evidence explaining why this is some sort of media conspiracy.

Per those CDC numbers, it makes gun shows an incredibly safe place to be.

Regardless of a nationwide maximum case of 5 wounded in 3 incidents on one day.

one in 5,281,218 per capita per day

one in 14469 per capita per year

At those rates, you'd see something happen in every gun show at least once a year.

It appears to me that the political hysteria has brought people who don't normally handle weapons, out to try and sell their stuff. Hoping to cash in on the upswing.

Except the guy that shot himself through the hand. That was just plain stupid.

• Upvote 1

I wonder how many people get run over at car shows...

lol, more like car races. I see people get hurt at car races all the time.

Obviously that should require all cars of a certain type to be registered and banned.