African Tobacco Smuggling & Terrorism

CephasGT

A connection I never would have made. This article is full of some really revealing insights, not least of which is that the man responsible for the Algerian hostage massacre is being ostracized now, because his former friends are afraid of getting schwacked by our drones.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/27/cigarette-smuggling-mokhtar-belmokhtar-terrorism

But the libertarian in me wonders, if the legal trade and distribution of tobacco wasn't so heavily regulated, would that effectively defund smuggling operations?

A connection I never would have made. This article is full of some really revealing insights, not least of which is that the man responsible for the Algerian hostage massacre is being ostracized now, because his former friends are afraid of getting schwacked by our drones.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2013/jan/27/cigarette-smuggling-mokhtar-belmokhtar-terrorism

But the libertarian in me wonders, if the legal trade and distribution of tobacco wasn't so heavily regulated, would that effectively defund smuggling operations?

I share the same view - big tobacco, if actually involved, has been forced to find new markets and survive which, unfortunately, has allowed terrorist-related organizations to become involved.

I don't really know, and that's what led me to the question. I suspect that there isn't a law regarding tobacco in most of the countries, but all of the exporting nations have the laws that necessitate the smuggling.