anyone heat with wood?

oldschoolsdime92

I'll ask my dad this week, he's run a woodburning stove the past 10+ years every winter instead of propane, and his stove has worked flawlessly and is reasonable to get started and maintain the fire. His is in the basement and blows air around the firebox which then can be ducted into the house system.

I Bailed on the wood burner when I found out the cost of the chimney liner combined with wood being a pain. Sticking one in the basement as a back up without a liner in case of power outages.

Ahh, sorry the one we have is more of a woodburning furnace like this: firechief_drawing.jpg

I can't help much with recommendations on the freestanding stoves, but I think if you find one that pumps air or can fit a blower to the one you get you'll be much happier than just going on radiant heat.

This is what we have

http://www.quadrafire.com/en/Products/Yosemite-Wood-Stove.aspx

We chose that model because it fit on our fireplace hearth and looked good in out traditional living room. Due to the shape of our fireplace the inserts did not work or did not look good.

IMGP2257.JPG

Nice little supplemental heat source. We run it on the weekends to help offset heat costs and because it looks and feels nice. I used to run it evenings also but I get home later so I dont feel it is worth the effort.

Or house is pretty cut up and not well insulated (1924 Tudor style) so the heat is mostly in the living room with some up the stairs. But it means the living room is about 75 while other parts of the house are 58 and the furnace does not run if outside temps are >20.

Years ago my parents used a wood furnace to heat our home. That was a ton of work every year to get enough firewood. However that kept the mess outside or in the unfinished basement. We had a window that was removed to throw the wood into the basement into a small room next to the furnace. Powered wood splitters are great if you plan to cut that much wood.

Craig

Something else im curious about is wood pellet stoves. I know your locked into using pellets. I have a pretty good wood supply, but not having to split and stack sounds nice as well.

Pellet stoves are convenient, very easy to use, easier to install and much cleaner than wood stoves.

However you are locked into buying pellets. You cant cut costs by cutting you own. And depending on supply/demand it may be more expensive than other heat sources. Also as mentioned the pellets cant be stored out doors. They will absorb moisture if wet and become ruined.

When they first became popular pellets were cheap but the demand for sawdust and wood scraps for pellets and other uses (composite lumber, bio fuel, etc.) has driven up the price to be competitive with natural gas and oil. Currently I think it only makes sense for a cottage without access to natural gas.

A couple interesting options

http://leisurelinestoves.com/index.html

Automatic feeding coal stoves

Simialr to pellet stoves but the fuel is a little cheaper and prices should remain fairly stable

http://www.centralboiler.com/home.html

Outdoor wood boiler.

Craig

Edited by CBBaron