Dhs

redbarron77

What would they be planning on shooting with hollow points?

Paper. When you aren't paying for your practice ammo, you use what you would expect to be using if it ever comes to needing it. The only reason I practice with fmj is I can't afford to shoot paper with critical defense.

It seems like a lot, since it's like 5 to 10 times what was used in the Iraq war.

But in just DHS personnel alone, the 450 million rounds is only 4 or 5 rounds per day over some reasonable length of time.

The purchase contract will distribute to CBP, Citizenship and Immigration Services, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), ICE, the U.S. Secret Service, Transportation Security Administration, the DHS police force, and all the guards that protect the various buildings these agencies are housed in. Also possibly distribution to state and local forces, at a reduced purchase cost.

It also includes the huge federal training facility, that goes through a lot of ammunition training personnel from many jurisdictions.

So bottom line, the government saved something like 360 million dollars buying this way.

edit: and for the tinfoil perspective; in 2010 or 2011, the government warned immigration and others to prepare for some sort of unusually large amount of immigration into the USA in the future.

Edited by ReconRat

Paper. When you aren't paying for your practice ammo, you use what you would expect to be using if it ever comes to needing it. The only reason I practice with fmj is I can't afford to shoot paper with critical defense.
It seems like a lot, since it's like 5 to 10 times what was used in the Iraq war.

But in just DHS personnel alone, the 450 million rounds is only 4 or 5 rounds per day over some reasonable length of time.

The purchase contract will distribute to CBP, Citizenship and Immigration Services, the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), ICE, the U.S. Secret Service, Transportation Security Administration, the DHS police force, and all the guards that protect the various buildings these agencies are housed in. Also possibly distribution to state and local forces, at a reduced purchase cost.

It also includes the huge federal training facility, that goes through a lot of ammunition training personnel from many jurisdictions.

So bottom line, the government saved something like 360 million dollars buying this way.

edit: and for the tinfoil perspective; in 2010 or 2011, the government warned immigration and others to prepare for some sort of unusually large amount of immigration into the USA in the future.

Pretty much what they said. Feds only shoot one type of ammo through their firearms and the individuals are not allowed to use any ammo that's not service issued, ever.

21.6 billion is what they are acquiring in a time when the whole country is stockpiling. The Border Patrol. Alone has approximately 21,000 agents. Every agent is required to qual every quarter. Every qual is a minimum of 72 rounds = 288rounds per agent per year at a minimum. 288x21,000=6,048,000 rounds just for qualifying with one gun for one agency. That doesn't account for additional training, or that several agents also qual with a compact version of their duty weapon every quarter. Several agents also qual with the UMP both quals requiring a minimum of 72 rounds. Throw in the M4 and 870quals and that's a lot of rounds. Trainees at the academy shoot atleast twice as many rounds every time they go to the range and they go pretty much every other day. The number of rounds needed per year is adding up fast and doesn't accountfor what agents get for the field and to train on their own.

Now there are a lot of agencies under DHS and several others that train at a Federal Academy. All of which need bullets from DHS. There is more than one federal training academy also not to mention training done by DHS at military bases. DHS is facing major budget cuts. They are just trying to stock up before they dont have the money to sustain their use. The government isn't the group clearing the shelves its the public that has upped the amount of ammo it is stockpiling. It's all about the cost vs. the budget.

The article quoted how much ammo was used in Iraq but what about the rest of the military? If they showed what the militaryused in training I'm sure it would shadow DHS.

This is why I love you guys!

But I'm still not taking off my tinfoil hat.....

Hell I've made a tinfoil helmet with mirrored aviator lenses for a visor that I'm still wearing. It's pretty cool people talk to me real slow ask me if I'm lost or if I know how old I am and I get free desserts at restaurants. My wife hates being asked if shes my caretaker.

I'm not so sure its all just to further arm our govt people.....another way to perceive it is a form of control....gun control....if they can't ban all the guns, they can eliminate the ammo and gain the same end result.....disarming America, which I believe to be their long term objective.

I'm not so sure its all just to further arm our govt people.....another way to perceive it is a form of control....gun control....if they can't ban all the guns, they can eliminate the ammo and gain the same end result.....disarming America, which I believe to be their long term objective.

What your not thinking about is every government official being armed is a citizen and working for under the constitution and the people not the government.

Don't worry too much the government is also hiding the proposed defense cuts and furloughs behind all the gun hoopla. They can't figure out a budget so they are going to lay off and furlough almost all national security and military. USDA inspectors will be laid off across the board shutting down slaughter houses and meat packing plants. Child care funding will be cut including the funding to feed poor kids in schools.