Looking for a Supermoto school in Ohio

OhioBob

Hi, I am on the lookout for a supermoto school. Or a training day that offered by supermoto experts/gurus. I want some pro guidance on wheelies, stoppies, backing it in, etc.

I know practice, practice, practice is the key, but maybe some tips and tricks learned by others.

Does anyone know of such an event in Ohio?

Also, does anyone know if the Mid-Ohio course allows supermoto's on for trackdays?

Any supermoto riders in Southern Ohio? Would love to meet up.

Just wondering.

Thanks in advance.

OhioBob

Sorry not much with the help supermoto school. But some of us are going to do some track days. If you're interested I can let you know when and where. Also, I haven't forgotten about the parts, I just haven't had time to mess with them.

There are a group of AFJ guys down in Cinci/Dayton area that run at G&J Kartway in Camden, OH usually once a week during the summer. Most of us have roadracing backgrounds, so you see more knee out instead of foot out.

You're allowed to ride supermotos at any trackday. Putnam is alright (you top out before the tower) and turns 1-3 are 4th or 5th gear turns on a sumo, but its still a blast. You will definitely have more on a tighter, more technical karting/supermoto track, like G&J and Circleville.

haha thats funny... how about a TRACK or a RACING SERIES for supermoto??? Beaverun used to run trackdays on their small track (Wilson Circuit) and even had a few racing events. In its heyday they even had Mark Burkhart teach a class, but we all know what happened to that sport :(

I'm not aware of anything anymore (why we sold our bikes), but you might try supermotojunkies.com or esmra.com

Hey MJ 88. Good to see you are still around. Don't worry about the parts. Get it to me when you can. I am just keeping my short blasts local right now until I can get the speedo fixed. I have a rough idea how fast I am going based on what gear and RPM's.

However, speaking of track days, the G&J seems like fun. I visited the Circleville one last year on my way up to Put-n-Bay on vacation. I know trackdays will require more equipment purchases for me. I need everything. Argh...

Thanks for all the replies.

Edited by OhioBob

There used to be some supermoto stuff here in Ohio at CRP. That has long since gone and replaced with minis running fully paved.

I would be willing to come down and help coach you and run you through drills, etc. The thing is with supermoto, it isn't about wheelies and stoppies. Sliding is an art form and great practice for road racing. Guys that run knee out on a supermoto can be just as fast as guys with leg out. In fact, as the sport progressed, there was less and less leg out and more and more feet on peg...

Point is that if you are going to CRP and want some coaching, I would be willing to help. I have raced there and SEVERAL laps around the place.

If road racing the bike, understand it is all about gearing and that a 450 or similar single cylinder motard is going to be stretched to it's limits in terms of engine. If you are topped out on a straight outside Mid-Ohio, you need to adjust gearing to accommodate. It can be done and usually involves a larger front sprocket and shaving off a tab on the swingarm to allow for it.

I used to run my 450 up at Grattan and geared so I just topped out before the brake markers. It was the best I could do and worked fine. Just isn't my cup of tea as it just isn't the same. But, to each their own.

Let me know...

How is Beaver Run for supermotos? I plan on riding G&J, Circleville and Beaver Run this year.

dunno if they still run practice / track days on Wilson, but IF they do - make a point of getting there. It's a primo WKA track, and there's probably few tracks as nice for supermoto on the East coast (maybe even west). Even better when they actually had a nice dirt section with nice sweeping blue-groove berms, a couple 25' table tops and a whoop section. Makes me tear up just thinking about it. :cry:

I geared my 450x with +1 on the front and the smallest rear the stock chain lenght would allow (so i could swap to dirt easily), and this would just tap about 70mph on the back straight. Supermoto on a big track like big Beaver with a small bike would be amusing for a while, but would get old pretty quick.

The supermoto decline broke my heart. It cost $25 to run all day long, another $50 or so to race, you could bump elbows and even throw the bike away leaned over in 2nd or 3rd gear, and just dust yourself off and jump back on. And to be able to crossover to dirt, added a whole new dimension (like UP!). sorry for the rant.

I-Zapp,

It'd be nice to find a track with a dirt section in Ohio, but I don't think that's going to happen. Both mine are plated and geared 14/43 or 44. I can cruise 70-75 comfortably and top out at 95-105. I think I might be alright on a bigger track but I don't know because I've never been on one.

My club runs at PIRC (Beaver) and CRP.. Looking at racing at other tracks in the future..

At any rate.. Lots of Supermoto racers in my club that do track days around here (CRP, G&J, PIRC, New Castle)

Like others have said.. It's super cheap to do a track day and many people willing to help out. Just post up when u are going and I'm sure you'll see a large group of people running to meet ya there.

• 1 year later...

G&j isn't far from my house at all. How does it work to ride there? Does it matter what bike your on? Could I bring the sv, and goof off for an evening?

You won't enjoy a full size bike on a cart track. I've tried it.

How is Beaver Run for supermotos? I plan on riding G&J, Circleville and Beaver Run this year.

Here is a photo set from the 2013 Eastern Mini Championship at PIRC (Beaver Run) Wilson circuit.   You can see the sumos, XR and everything else in between!  :)  PIRC is a great facility.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97956589@N07/sets/72157634304174263/

My club runs at PIRC (Beaver) and CRP.. Looking at racing at other tracks in the future..

At any rate.. Lots of Supermoto racers in my club that do track days around here (CRP, G&J, PIRC, New Castle)

Like others have said.. It's super cheap to do a track day and many people willing to help out. Just post up when u are going and I'm sure you'll see a large group of people running to meet ya there.

Here are some photos from CRP at the Sept 14, 2013 OMRL race!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/97956589@N07/sets/72157635546215032/

For those of you interested in practicing at PIRC they changed the pricing a bit.

Here is the current 2014 practice structure per Haley McKay @ PIRC kart office.

Monday – Thursday 12 pm – 8 pm $30 for the day

Friday – Sunday 12 pm – 8 pm $50 for the day

We will be using a time schedule this year; rotating Rentals in with practice.  

Even if I threw a huge rear sprocket on?

Unless you drop 200 lbs of weight and 6 inches from the wheelbase you won't find it to be very fun. I rode my 2009 Aprilia rs125 at CRP to scrub in some tires and it's smaller than your SV and probably 140 lbs lighter. It was borderline no fun due to it's size. I could keep up with some SM's but risk of crashing is a lot more $$$.

I rode my 1199 there and it was down right terrifying! Totally no fun.

Get an XR100 or a SuperMoto and you will have a lot more fun. NSR50 or NSF100 also work well depending on your size.

Yeah, I know the XR is on the rev limiter (just under 50mph) through the chicane, so the bigger bikes are definitely hitting 60 or 65 on that side straight that takes you to the back section of the track.

We need to put a cone on the left this year. Someone got DQ'd for cutting the corner last year. In the supermoto race.

My favorite part at PIRC on my SM Is the tight left hairpin uphill heading towards the last left before the front straight. Full throttle, still leaned over and the rear tire squirming under duress the whole time. Just thrilling.

I don't remember a DQ, but I didn't race stock XR last year.

Edited by turnone