The slow evolution of my ZX12R

2fat2fly

I JUST stumbled into your thread...

(Yeah I do that some days).

This is my winter project Y2K ZX-12R that's just barely now getting back on the road.....

">http://ZX12Rinthegarage_zps0088cb97.jpg

YOURS has a "little" more oooomph!!!!!

Very nice!!!!!

:hungry:

It's great to see another 12 on the road. I'd like to see more pictures and hear more about your project. I like the Z-Rex too.

ZRX = boner.

Nothing against the 12, I just love that the ZRX doesn't look like it should be fast. And I LOVE the tri-color retro paint.

I have to admit I love the Z-Rex as well and this one looks to be intelligently modded. I think those are ZX 10R or ZX 14 rims and it looks like a head oiling mod has been done. I'd like to see what else is hiding on both bikes.

Thanks!

Not to jack your thread....

This ZRX has been "lightly" modded over the past 10 years with about everything I could think of....

(The appearance changes all the time depending on what I do to it...)

">http://ZRX1224June2011.jpg

I (Stupidly) traded THIS one straight across for a somewhat tired 2000 ZX-12R and just like you let the modness begin!!!

">http://RatBikeThanksgivingDay.jpg

Here it WAS when I got it last July (Boy was the GF pissed!!!).......

">http://

">ZX12Rratbikeproject1_zps266e2d1b.jpg

AND here it is this Spring about the time you were going crazy with yours......

">http://ZX12RRatbike10_zpsea9641ab.jpg

MY idea of a "Sport" tourer with test and tune and a little Wilmington mile built in.........

Thanks!

Not to jack your thread....

This ZRX has been "lightly" modded over the past 10 years with about everything I could think of....

(The appearance changes all the time depending on what I do to it...)

">http://ZRX1224June2011.jpg

I (Stupidly) traded THIS one straight across for a somewhat tired 2000 ZX-12R and just like you let the modness begin!!!

">http://RatBikeThanksgivingDay.jpg

Here it WAS when I got it last July (Boy was the GF pissed!!!).......

">http://

">ZX12Rratbikeproject1_zps266e2d1b.jpg

AND here it is this Spring about the time you were going crazy with yours......

">http://ZX12RRatbike10_zpsea9641ab.jpg

MY idea of a "Sport" tourer with test and tune and a little Wilmington mile built in.........

All of them are very nice. When do you plan on doing the mile? I live 20 miles North of the Wilmington Airpark.

Well my ZX-!2R is just about there...(At least for me...)

The clutch still needs sorting out (Messing with the clutch stack and the gearing too).

I WOULD feel a little bit better with some up-rated brakes and suspension.

(I have spare forks with all new internals waiting to be installed once my Race-Tech springs get here...An upgraded rear shock - Penske would be nice too).

The plan is Wilmington in September.

:riding:

I went to start the 12R today and when I turned the key on the fuel pump kicked on like normal and then when it stopped and the gauge needles all reset I hit the starter button and all I got was the fuel pump kicking on while I held the starter button. It stopped when I let off the button. Starter never tried to engage at all as if no electricity is getting to it. Hit the button again and same thing. Turn key off and start process over: Same thing happened.

Initially it was in neutral with kickstand down.
In first gear with kickstand down-Same result
First gear with kickstand up-Same result
Turn key off,pull out of ignition in every configuration-Same result
Neutral with clutch in and out, same result.

Battery is less than one year old and I put the Fluke meter on it to check it, but I believe it to be good. I'll report back shortly.
City light came on with key, headlights never came on in any configuration.

Any ideas?

I pulled the battery assembly out of the frame and set it up to test stuff. After moving and reconnecting everything I still had the same issue, so this eliminated a loose wire as a possible cause. I checked battery voltage and under no load was 11.90v. Hit the starter button and it dropped to 11.69v. Still no starter relay click and no starter spinning. Pulled rubber boot back from the starter relay wires and measured there. The white measured 11.9v-12.0v. The black/yellow is ground, so 0.0v. The Yellow/red shows 0.0 with key off or on unless you press the starter button. It shows 6.93v at that time and still no starter spin. I believe this is all working properly so I turned the key off and used 2 screw drivers to cross the battery cable in to the starter motor out cables. She spins! I turned the key back on and did it again and she fired up. I let it idle for a minute then shut her off and tried to start it normally and it worked fine. It appears the starter relay was sticking.

Well my ZX-!2R is just about there...(At least for me...)

The clutch still needs sorting out (Messing with the clutch stack and the gearing too).

I WOULD feel a little bit better with some up-rated brakes and suspension.

(I have spare forks with all new internals waiting to be installed once my Race-Tech springs get here...An upgraded rear shock - Penske would be nice too).

The plan is Wilmington in September.

:riding:

I think the brakes on the 12 are fine. I've used them at very high rates of speed with no issues. You may want to change the pads for personal preference but I wouldn't change the system other than brake lines. I would go with Spiegler for that.

After troubleshooting my 12 I pulled the battery to use in an 87 GSXR1100 (1255cc but that's another story) to get it running today.I also wanted to see how the battery worked in another bike. It was running like a champ and then out of nowhere it just shut off. Did the usual checks with the meter and sure enough, it showed the dead cell. So tomorrow I'll be getting a new one.

Batteries are some quirpy devices now and then, and can really screw with a guys head. Glad it was an easy sort/fix

Think ZRXman's ZRX has a ZX10 or ZX6 wheelset, 14's wheels are chubbier compared to those. Nice lookin rides though. Mile run is out for me this year between Indy GP coming up, overspent on laundry room remodel, short vaca to TN in October planned, and a day at Putnam next month - additional funds are officially spoken for :(

I can manage spectating in Sept and will most definitely push to get on the Mile next season with you guys

Edited by Hellmutt

Hey since the rules for Wilmington state the battery has to be secured with a metal hold down strap

What are you going to use????

(And can you make ME one???...lol)

(The wheels are forged aluminum Carrozzerias...I have had Dymags in the past but the pot holes of Ohio do NOT agree with cast magnesium!!!)

Hey since the rules for Wilmington state the battery has to be secured with a metal hold down strap

What are you going to use????

(And can you make ME one???...lol)

(The wheels are forged aluminum Carrozzerias...I have had Dymags in the past but the pot holes of Ohio do NOT agree with cast magnesium!!!)

I believe we are exempt from that due to the battery being completely encapsulated in the frame. I am looking into that though and if I need to make something I will make 2 of them.

• 1 month later...

I haven't updated lately because there's not much to update.For the most part I have had trouble free riding out of the 12R so I've been riding and enjoying the beast. I had a minor issue with the fuel tank cap and I cracked my key but a quick trip to Joe's Cycle Shop in North Dayton and I had 3 new keys made for dirt cheap. The rest of the time has been spent riding and enjoying. Last Friday was a tidy Friday at my house so I cleaned the 12Rand both ZX7R's up and took a couple pictures of the three.

HPIM7054_zps00eaa2d4.jpg

HPIM7048_zps856212c0.jpg

HPIM7043_zps65601d90.jpg

That's all I have to report for now.

• 3 months later...

Here's a quick update for my 12R project. This winter I'll be installing these:

HPIM1981.jpg

Magnesium Marchesinis. 17 X 3.5" Front and 17 X 6.0" rear. They're going to be powdercoated black and then I'll add new tires and rotors and I'll be in business. I'm leaning toward Brembo rotors at the moment but I haven't made up my mind yet.