The slow evolution of my ZX12R

2fat2fly

This is all the progress for this week. I won't touch it again until next Thursday because tomorrow is Easter and my work schedule for the rest of the week blows goats. The upside is that I have more parts ordered and they should all be here by Thursday at the latest. Next weekend will be busy.

Lookin good, Mike.....and waiting for parts is kind of nice to give you a few days to relax, it's good to decompress once in a while :D Btw, I know you said the bike sat for a while but is that a Dunlop 207 I see on the front of that thing? :eek: They haven't made that tire in years, but I used to love those on my YZF

Lookin good, Mike.....and waiting for parts is kind of nice to give you a few days to relax, it's good to decompress once in a while :D Btw, I know you said the bike sat for a while but is that a Dunlop 207 I see on the front of that thing? :eek: They haven't made that tire in years, but I used to love those on my YZF

Good eye. The last piece of the puzzle is new shoes. It'll be outfitted with new tires as the last thing before riding it.

Do you already have a boost controller set up for this? Went over all the pics here and didn't see one, nor read of one either ( or did I miss something? )

Also, did you bypass the oil filter all together or is it relocated out of view? I see the blockoff plate and fittings at the block to run the lines to the new cooler behind the ram air plenum, but nothing of the filter base? If so, I'd be a scared to run filterless.....or is this protocol?

Do you already have a boost controller set up for this? Went over all the pics here and didn't see one, nor read of one either ( or did I miss something? )

There's no boost control system right now. I'm going to use the springs and factory settings in the waste gate and blow off valve. I will add a boost controller later to run higher boost.

Also, did you bypass the oil filter all together or is it relocated out of view? I see the blockoff plate and fittings at the block to run the lines to the new cooler behind the ram air plenum, but nothing of the filter base? If so, I'd be a scared to run filterless.....or is this protocol?

The filter is now on the right side of the engine.

HPIM5863_zps2211af1f.jpg

HPIM6094_zps03811e61.jpg

HPIM6095_zps9f639dfb.jpg

Edited by 2fat2fly

Aw shit :facepalm: missed that somehow....been staring at the left side so long I didn't notice :D

Wondered if you might start off mechanically, then dial the boost up later.

The turbo is capable of 22 pounds of boost. The engine, in this configuration, might see that once before $h#t goes boom and smoke fills the sky.:wtf:

So we're starting small and later I'll dial up an engine configuration for that kind of boost. :D

I stopped at Jegs tonight on the way home from work so I have a few new toys to put on the bike tomorrow. I'll post pics in the morning after I get the rest of my parts from the Kawasaki dealership.

I didn't get much done today before my nephew called and asked me to fix his XR70. The carb was gummed up, so I spent most of the afternoon taking care of him. I did get the ducting from the turbo to the airbox (plenum) heat wrapped. I did this for the area where it's in close proximity to the header because I don't want to have to make repairs down the road. I also figured out where I want my fuel pressure guage. I have it hooked up to the FPR but not mounted yet. If I have time tomorrow I'll make a mounting bracket for it. It's the same for the Boost Guage, in that I know where I want to mount it but I haven't got it done yet.

HPIM6129_zps71c63377.jpg

HPIM6130_zps900e808a.jpg

HPIM6139_zps83a75c26.jpg

HPIM6140_zps603a097f.jpg

Edited by 2fat2fly
  • Upvote 1

The only thing I accomplished today that was bike related was figuring out a layout and drawing a blueprint for the brackets to mount the gauges. I spent the rest of the day cleaning gutters, killing moss and de-winterizing the house. Then the wife really put me to work. At least I accomplished a little for the bike project. :nono:

I will attempt to fab the brackets tomorrow with a goal of installing them Wednesday (that's the first day of my weekend).:D

I finally got the chance to get back to work on the Cruising Missile. I did minor stuff, so far, like fixing broken electrical connectors and re-wrapping parts of the wire harness. The main thing I did today was put heat shielding on the horn wires. It seems irrelevant but I don't want the wires melting and causing other issues for me later on down the road. I'll be back at it later today but here's a few pictures of why I was concerned with the horn wires:

HPIM6146_zps80333d83.jpg

HPIM6147_zps762be9a6.jpg

The wires run under the radiator over to the other side of the bike so they'll be just in front of the main heat source on the bike.

HPIM6149_zps9520de1d.jpg

After the shield was installed:

HPIM6154_zps6a72fc9c.jpg

HPIM6155_zps06689359.jpg

Edited by 2fat2fly

I spent the afternoon fitting the bodywork. There's several things I need to do to make it all fit right but it mostly bolted right up. I need to remove some of the insulation from the inside of both lower fairings and I need to clearance the right lower for the lock up clutch. Overall I'm pretty happy with everything so far.

p><p><a  href=http://i180.photobucket.com/albums/x241/2fat2fly_photos/ZX12R/HPIM6167_zpsfe9571f1.jpg' alt='a>'>

HPIM6168_zpsf6a951b4.jpg

HPIM6169_zpsc6efbdc2.jpg

HPIM6172_zps04c3db8b.jpg

HPIM6173_zps68624326.jpg

HPIM6174_zps1d060626.jpg