Any Fabricators in The House?

Jcarlson

I just bought a 5x10 ramp trailer and I want to modify the ramp. I'm not a fabricator so I have some questions, but first let me explain what I have/need.

I want to cut the ramp and hinge it so it folds down and isn't sticking four feet up in the air. It's a steel frame (unknown gauge) with mesh covering. I want to cut it in half-ish widthwise, weld some angled steel to each rough edge and somehow hinge it.

The hinge that is currently on it where the ramp mounts to the trailer is just some steel tubing welded to both the trailer and the ramp and has a pin/round stock running through it. I'd like to repeat that process on the newly cut/welded ends of the ramp if possible.

My questions are -

1) Besides Lowes and Home Depot where can I buy steel stock in the Columbus area? Lowes and HD carry it but not the gauge I'm looking for.

2) How can I fab the hinge assembly I described? Where do I get tubing/pins like that?

Thanks. Any and all tips are welcomed.

Jim

The ramp is either straight up in the air when closed or setting on the ground when open. I want to hinge it so when it is closed and in the upright position the top half will fold back down so it's not sticking way up in the air. This will make it 2 2ft section instead of 1 4ft sections.