Motorcycle title status. What does clean mean???

bandit

Alright, so I put my Motorcycle On CL, and Stated Clean Title. I got A Reply From Someone Who Assumed "In Hand," But I Do Have An Outstanding Loan On It For Less Than Book Value. Is "Clean" The Same As "In Hand" To You? I Always Assumed That Clean Just Meant Never Wrecked And Not Salvage. Help Me Out Here Guys.

This is how I see it.

Clean Title = Title is not branded for odometer discrepancy, odometer exceeded mechanical limits, lemon buyback, salvage, theft recovery or any other thing that would reduce the value of the vehicle itself.

Clear Title = The title is in the seller's name, has no liens, and does not have to jump through any hoops to assign the title (such as getting an additional owner/divorce judge/bankruptcy judge to sign off on the sale, etc) that would delay or complicate the assignment of the title.

In Hand = The title is in the seller's possession, not being held by the bank or locked away in a safe deposit box at his ex-wife's bank or missing, and is ready to be handed over once notarized.

When I sell a vehicle I have the buyer inspect the title then watch me write their details in the title assignment section, then I keep the title to be notarized next business day before mailing it on. Never had any problem with this approach.

Edited by Scruit

This is how I see it.

Clean Title = Title is not branded for odometer discrepancy, odometer exceeded mechanical limits, lemon buyback, salvage, theft recovery or any other thing that would reduce the value of the vehicle itself.

Clear Title = The title is in the seller's name, has no liens, and does not have to jump through any hoops to assign the title (such as getting an additional owner/divorce judge/bankruptcy judge to sign off on the sale, etc) that would delay or complicate the assignment of the title.

In Hand = The title is in the seller's possession, not being held by the bank or locked away in a safe deposit box at his ex-wife's bank or missing, and is ready to be handed over once notarized.

When I sell a vehicle I have the buyer inspect the title then watch me write their details in the title assignment section, then I keep the title to be notarized next business day before mailing it on. Never had any problem with this approach.

I like this explanation. In hand is definitely different than clear