2013 Pepper Thread

AWW$HEEET

I think I got some bad spinach seeds. I only had 1 of the 8 come up and its been a few weeks.

If they are warm, move them to a cooler spot. Spinach germinates well with cool soil temps. Germination falls off if soil temps get too warm. Temps much above 75F may give poor, if any germination. Temps in the 60's (or lower) work well.

• 3 weeks later...

crap. My peppers got all sick. Too wet/overwatered or something.

Leaves turned yellow and dropped off. Ack.

Should go out soon, but they look too weak.

Most will pull through, but it's going to take some time.

Might try transplanting a few to see if it helps.

I put mine (jalapeno and sweet) out in the garden on the day it was 83 outside.... now its cold. Hopefully they don't die. My strawberries are kickin ass right now! I'm pretty excited. I got a couple rows of beans and brussel sprouts too. I'm gonna wait till the end of April to plant the spicy peppers.

the two types of tomatoes and two types of watermelon are doing ok.

Guess that's something anyway.

Yah! You just reminded me that I need to plant my watermelon.

I hope, in general, I have a better year than last year:

404137_10102211755466235_1321517058_n.jpg

:lol:

Since MJ mentioned already planted. Here's the NOAA weather list of last frost date for Ohio cities. (Spring thaw)

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/cle/climate/info/spring_thaw.html

This list isn't actually "the last frost date", it's the "odds of no more frost days". Usually the 90% chance date is good (right side column), which gives a 10% chance of having to cover them if something happens. Combined with accuweather forecasting, it usually works out.

The last frost date for Columbus appears to be this morning, April 21. It's early this year. It's warmer inside the larger cities. We get a small head start.

That's very nice. Thank you.

edit: and seeing that, I'm going to go ahead and direct sow the radishes and onions. Lettuce (microgreens) with them a week later. I've got a little time to salvage the peppers back to health, or go buy some from the greenhouse.

oops, starting watermelons early might have been a mistake. They might needed to have been started later for cooler temperatures for fruit. wait and see...

Edited by ReconRat

^I like it. Its so organized. I tried a tray set up and was pretty disappointed with the results. I switched over to those jars that I showed and they worked really well.

I lost 3 of my pepper plants for putting them out too early :cry: I've got more started though.

You're gonna have a shit ton of peppers this summer. How many plants do you have?

Ok so I tilled my bed up last night. We are looking at about a 15 x 19 plot. I am essentially giving each pepper 3.18 sq ft, based on some calculations I did. (selling some plants, accounting for some loss, planting some in containers, etc).

I need to rake the bed and I HOPE to get some of them into the ground this weekend, if not all. I think we are past the risk of frost.

might need to thin my jalapeno heard... lol. i may end up selling some of them (cheap) to selectively grow only what i can completely use. i also may trade for some tomato plants.

I might take a jalapeno or two if the price is right!

Last year my habanaros were killer, never watered once except rain.

My jalapeños tasted like soap. Whole crop ruined.

My Anaheims were amazing. Full of flavor and slight heat. Ended up with 75# s from 2 plants and sold a bunch to a local restraunt.

Planning on doing all 3 again but I'm focusing more towards berries, specifically wolf/gogis.

Last year my habanaros were killer, never watered once except rain.

My jalapeños tasted like soap. Whole crop ruined.

My Anaheims were amazing. Full of flavor and slight heat. Ended up with 75# s from 2 plants and sold a bunch to a local restraunt.

Planning on doing all 3 again but I'm focusing more towards berries, specifically wolf/gogis.

What do you think caused that? I am doing my first jalapeno plant this season, hoping it turns out good. Might taste like cow shit, because that is what I fertilize with. :D