"hybrid" helmets.. i want one

bshultz0930

Ive got a Gmax from like 2 years ago that I bought for 25$ and am not happy with the fitment at all. I assumed a large would work fine, then it come and its way to small. I needed an XL unless I shaved my head.

your talking dual sports with the visor. The most popular one out there seems to be the Icon Variant. They look cool but im not a fan of the visor.

Edited by Gunner75

I used to wear a hybrid years ago. It was even the first lid I had a major highside while wearing. I used to keep it to show people that didn't think they needed to wear a full face lid. It was cracked across the chin and rashed clear around to the back from my crash but it did it's job and other than a mild concussion I was good. The one I had was the oldschool Bieffe sport 3 helmet. The pic is not mine but it's the exact same one I had (yep, same ugly colors also :rolleyes:). The early 90's rocked!:D

0790208_20.jpeg

Here's a thread on the ADVRider forums about the GMax GM11D. Also, this Revzilla video review of the helmet may give a better overview.

The other popular inexpensive DS helmet that ADVRider seems to like is the AFX FX-39.

Many riders seem to like these helmets because they're cheap to replace if they damage it on a backwoods trail, versus fit, finish, comfort or noise.

Is this supposed to be street/dirt hybrid? If so, the energy absorbing materials are completely different for each helmet, I don't know what type of protection a compromise would be. Dirt is nice and soft while the road is much harder so they have to make the helmets different to compensate. I was reading a law book a while back that actually used an example where a kid got severely injured when he crashed his bike on the street with a dirt helmet (or vice versa, like I said, it was a while ago).

I wear a Gmax GM11D. It's not a bad helmet the run a little small in the size so you might have to go one up if you look at one. I thought at first the visor was going to be an issue catching wind at highway speed but I didn't get much drag when I tested it out and lane checking felt normal. it is a bit noisy but i wear ear plugs anyway due to my exhaust. It's a middle weight helmet not too heavy but not super light. The thing I like the most is the field of vision, I get so much more peripheral vision compared to my full face Vega. The price was another sell since I have always wanted to try a dual sport helmet and didn't want to drop $400+ on a helmet I might not like $120 was easier to swing. One thing to add just to be safe take the visor screws and the top visor screw and apply some loctite, I did run into an issue of one screw backing out on it's own.

Edited by Kmanlyst

Is this supposed to be street/dirt hybrid? If so, the energy absorbing materials are completely different for each helmet, I don't know what type of protection a compromise would be. Dirt is nice and soft while the road is much harder so they have to make the helmets different to compensate. I was reading a law book a while back that actually used an example where a kid got severely injured when he crashed his bike on the street with a dirt helmet (or vice versa, like I said, it was a while ago).

i guess they are made with materials for street helmets but with a shell like the dirt helmets with a visor

The pic is not mine but it's the exact same one I had (yep, same ugly colors also :rolleyes:). The early 90's rocked!:D

Sadly, those colors are back in style for today's youth...have you seen some of the crap they wear? How bout this beauty right here:

http://www.bikebandit.com/answer-comet-shred-full-face-motorcycle-helmet