Rebuild

GuardRail-Mike

As some of you may know I crashed out like a boss last weekend during the hocking ride. Myself and Ryan dropped my bike off to Iron Pony today to get a damage assessment and i should know sometime this week.

From looking at it.... It will need new forks and a front wheel and almost all new fairings. Depending on the prices they give or if they find anything serious (frame damage.... Please no...) this may change.

I would like to do all the work myself... with a little bit of help from some more experienced OR mechanics (mainly for the forks and wheel installation) I am willing to pay for your time as long as you don't charge $82.00 an hour :p Or if you would accept beer and food and motorcycle talk even better!

So I've been looking around and I'm just about positive it will cost more if I buy the parts from Iron Pony so if anyone has any websites or advice to getting some of the parts I will need I am open ears!

The following link is a link to some unpainted fairings that I found. Any advice on whether it would be cheaper to buy them painted or buy unpainted and have that awesome painting OR member paint them for me? I will have to discuss price of course. My main question is whether or not these fairings are adequate to the OEM fairings. It says they are :

• Injection-molded ABS plastic
  • Machined mounting tabs and holes
  • Heat shield insulation
  • Any fairing can also be primered or painted

And here is the link : http://www.easyfairings.com/08-12-yamaha-r6-unpainted-fairings

They may be expensive and if anyone knows anywhere else I could get them cheaper please tell me.

Thanks for Reading! :bow:

I will Update this thread once I have found out more from Iron Pony and if anyone wants to suggest a website or advice I am all ears.

Edited by Mike_N92

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

bikebandit.com,

motorcyclesuperstor.com,

ridersdiscount.com (a site sponsor, just PM Nate what you need and he will get back to you with pricing and/or if he can get it)

just google 2013 R6 Fairing. IP told you that you must have new forks? They didnt mention rebuilding the forks at all?

bikebandit.com,

motorcyclesuperstor.com,

ridersdiscount.com (a site sponsor, just PM Nate what you need and he will get back to you with pricing and/or if he can get it)

just google 2013 R6 Fairing. IP told you that you must have new forks? They didnt mention rebuilding the forks at all?

I have not heard from IP, dropped the bike off this morning and they said they were still backed up from Friday so it might be a day or so. Thanks for the websites. And once I get a parts list from IP I'll send Nathan a PM

Yea pride is hurt that's about all but maybe that's a good thing. Definately learned a lesson... Don't f*** up :p oh and my wallet!

There is always something to learn. Even when you think you cant learn more, there is always something else.

So how did you wreck? Do you know what you did wrong?

Yea a mixture of target fixation and second guessed myself... Tried braking to late before a turn that I could have easily made then went oh shit and trget fixated in front of me (where i was going) instead of doing what I should have and leaning more into the turn and looking through it... basic stuff... I just let my head wander off I suppose. Ended up low sliding into a guard rail.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2011-2012-YAMAHA-R6-FRONT-WHEEL-YAMAHA-FRONT-WHEEL-R6-FRONT-WHEEL-R6-WHEEL-/281087148369?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4172198151&vxp=mtr

Anyone think I should jump on this and try for 200 bucks? picture looks alright and seller has good feedback but i guess there is no sure way of knowing its not messed up

Okay, first, I don't want to come off like an ahole, but you went out on a 2013 R6, literally the first decent weekend and took it to Hocking?

You gotta wait several weeks for the good rains to come in and wash all the gravel, salt, etc off the road before heading down there. I know you said you think it was target fix. and just late braking, but bet there was more than just that. Either way, this is what happens EVERY year, people get all hard on for a decent day, then go down there and wad their toys up before the season even starts.

First ride I went on down there a few years ago, we had like 6 bikes down on what should have been a 4 hour ride or so. Never again, May at best to head down there and try to tear it up. Cruising is one thing, but man people will never learn.

Glad you are okay, definitely call insurance and claim it. Maybe they will offer a buyback, maybe not.

Call insurance company. Claim the bike. Too much money to fix that kind of damage.

His insurance is already 10 times more than what I pay lol. Plus if he does not have any gap insurance he would be screwed lol. And yes mike I'm at work lol.

Okay, first, I don't want to come off like an ahole, but you went out on a 2013 R6, literally the first decent weekend and took it to Hocking?

You gotta wait several weeks for the good rains to come in and wash all the gravel, salt, etc off the road before heading down there. I know you said you think it was target fix. and just late braking, but bet there was more than just that. Either way, this is what happens EVERY year, people get all hard on for a decent day, then go down there and wad their toys up before the season even starts.

First ride I went on down there a few years ago, we had like 6 bikes down on what should have been a 4 hour ride or so. Never again, May at best to head down there and try to tear it up. Cruising is one thing, but man people will never learn.

Glad you are okay, definitely call insurance and claim it. Maybe they will offer a buyback, maybe not.

Madcat can teach you a lot Mike. I do agree with what he said it was a bad choice to go there and on a group ride but its in the past now. Nothing you can do but it would be smart to wait a year before going back there.

Madcat can teach you a lot Mike. I do agree with what he said it was a bad choice to go there and on a group ride but its in the past now. Nothing you can do but it would be smart to wait a year before going back there.

Negative.... gotta go to the epic group ride! if I have my bike rideable... Would you not go for a year?