LEOs don't care about auto accidents anymore?

Sapphy

In the Wrangler today because of the rain. So got rear ended on the way home for work, the guy was an ass and tried to bully me. I wait 40 min for CPD, only to be told by CPD that they will not take a report because of the weather. Really someone else hits me messes up my jeep and the system basically tells me "O well", I am just scratching my head on this.

In the Wrangler today because of the rain. So got rear ended on the way home for work, the guy was an ass and tried to bully me. I wait 40 min for CPD, only to be told by CPD that they will not take a report because of the weather. Really someone else hits me messes up my jeep and the system basically tells me "O well", I am just scratching my head on this.

That's Ohio for you. Weather is not even bad and everyone freaks out. Did you get whiplash and get his insurance info.

That's Ohio for you. Weather is not even bad and everyone freaks out. Did you get whiplash and get his insurance info.

LEO said he didn't have to share it since he was not going to take a report. I did get his name and plate.

That's why everyone is getting video cameras in their vehicles, after all we are becoming like Russia not the other way around with our Democratic law makers so get ready to reap the fun. :rolleyes:

yet when i wrecked my truck on black ice many years ago they ask me how fast i was going i said prob only 30ish because i knew it was slick (in a 55 zone) and they still wrote me a titcket for "too fast for conditions" because "someone has to be at fault":nono:

Columbus has always taken "priority" runs only when they get busy and in bad weather. It's not anything new unfortunately. Sorry about your accident, but the other driver is required to provide you with information for whom he is and his insurance information.

Name/Driver's License #

Insurance Card info-Agency/Policy number.

If you don't have all of that then I would contact them back and request an accident and or hit-skip accident report after the weather stops to verify all the information.

LEO said he didn't have to share it since he was not going to take a report. I did get his name and plate.
Columbus has always taken "priority" runs only when they get busy and in bad weather. It's not anything new unfortunately. Sorry about your accident, but the other driver is required to provide you with information for whom he is and his insurance information.

Name/Driver's License #

Insurance Card info-Agency/Policy number.

If you don't have all of that then I would contact them back and request an accident and or hit-skip accident report after the weather stops to verify all the information.

Both parties are required by law to file accident reports within a short length of time. I doubt the penalties for failure are effective though. That means both parties had to share driver's license and proof of insurance information. IMO, failure to do so could be considered a hit-skip.

They're really' date=' really busy... dontcha' know. :rolleyes:

A LEO was useless, and you find this to be newsworthy? :confused:[/quote']

No, I was venting because there is 2 grand or so of damage to my jeep that I think I now have to pay for out of my pocket.

Go to any CPD station and file a report. You have some of his information. At that point if your insurnace has to pay for it they can turn around and sue his insurnace company to recover the cost including your deductible. My wife and I went through this in '03. We were hit from behind in here new F-150. Police didn't take a report due to the weather (ice) and said to go to the police station to file the report. Truck was fixed by our insurance and we received a check refunding our deductible about 6 months later.

• Upvote 1

When the local asshat (LEO) is too lazy to file a report call the OSHP Right in front of him And have them come out and do the report If it was not your fault. He (LEO) probably knew the other driver did he site him on let him walk.

When the local asshat (LEO) is too lazy to file a report call the OSHP Right in front of him And have them come out and do the report If it was not your fault. He (LEO) probably knew the other driver did he site him on let him walk.

I didn't read a single thing you wrote because I couldn't scroll past your avatar.

It's not an individual LEO decision. In bad weather there are more crashes than cops - they have to concentrate on the ones with injuries or that are blocking major roads. They can't just pull officers out of thin air.

Edited by Scruit

No, I was venting because there is 2 grand or so of damage to my jeep that I think I now have to pay for out of my pocket.

File the report NOW - the "not taking reports" means they won't do the report taking during the bad weather - you can still go to the cop shop and file now.

Or get your insurance to do the legwork - that's what you pay them for.

1) Absolutely file the report. When it comes to insurance mediation, they compare the reports to come up with an "aggregate" story of what happened. If the guy who hit you doesn't file one, the only story they have is yours.

2) He may not have come out and said it, but I think it's general policy with CPD to not come out to a non-injury accident where both vehicles are drive-able. It might suck, but I think you're lucky a cop even showed up on the scene.

I had a similar accident about six years ago. Someone pulled through a parking spot and T-boned my car while I was driving in a parking lot. Police did not come out, I filed a report the next morning. They didn't. Insurance companies found her at fault and it didn't cost us a dime.

I think the biggest issue you may have is you didn't get their insurance info, but if you have car info I bet the insurance company can get it.