Getting ready for my first track day (Mid-Ohio)

8Rider6

So I'm getting ready for my first track day, hoping shooting for May 13th or 14th if everything's ready (and they're not sold out). If I don't make it then, I'll be doing it sometime in June or July.

I'm getting new tires, chain & sprockets, front forks (from an F4i) with new internals & rear shock from a F3 on my 919.

I'm going to have Hoblick do the installations, though I just read in another thread he has a torn rotator, so I'm not sure if that'll delay him.

Anyway, other than that is there any major I should look into for my first track day? Oil was last changed in the Fall (October I think), but I've only put ~1000 miles on it since then. Should I definitely change that before the track day, or should that be fine? Was probably planning on doing it around June, but I guess I should just do it at the start of the major riding season.

Only other things I'll definitely be making sure to check(out of lack of knowledge) are the brake pads and brake fluid, and coolant (water for track?). Besides those items, removing mirrors/taping headlight, etc should I be ready to go for Novice? Do you have to wire nuts/screws for Novice at Mid-Ohio for tech, or is that only Intermediate and Advanced?

Ill let some of the other guys chime in on the Mid Ohio specifics, but don't forget about tires. IMO tires are one of the most important factors at a trackday. You don't need any fancy race tires or anything, but make sure whatever tires you do have are pretty new. And if you can swing it, a good set of performance street/ttackday tires would be best. Think Dunlop Q2's or Michelin Pilot Powers. These will allow you to have the most fun and have confidence in the bike.

Most importantly, just have fun and learn as much as you can. Oh, and get prepared for the likely addiction to track riding that will come from your first trackday.

Just saw that you mentioned new tires in your post...Doh!!

Oh, and put a piece of tape over your speedometer.

Thanks. I'll be getting Pilot Road 2's. This bike is primarily a commuter/street bike and maybe eventually sport touring bike...

Down the line, I'd like to get either an FJR, Concours 14, BMW R1200 RT, Triumph Sprint ST or something similar for Sport Touring and delegate the 919 to track day/urban street riding, or I'll get something like a CBR600, 954, GSX-R 750, SV650 specifically for the track and using the 919 as my main street bike.

For now, I'm probably only going to be able to do 1-3 track days this year (vacation from work, etc), so I can't go dumping a ton of money into specific track tires just yet.

Is the tape over speedometer thing a joke? lol. I could see how it would make you more focused on your riding and less concerned about speed, but at the same time, I've often used the speedometer to know what gear I need to be in. I'm sure at the track though, I'll be a lot higher in my RPM range than my typical street riding... Street riding I don't usually go above 4-5k RPM on the 919.

All I can say is be prepared to be hooked, like game over, all extra income gone hooked. Good luck and enjoy! I bet a good percentage of us actually popped our cherries at Mid O, congrats on taking the plunge.

PS Blue124312342135 loves blowing dudes so be careful what he says.

Thanks. I'll be getting Pilot Road 2's.

Is the tape over speedometer thing a joke? lol. I could see how it would make you more focused on your riding and less concerned about speed, but at the same time, I've often used the speedometer to know what gear I need to be in. I'm sure at the track though, I'll be a lot higher in my RPM range than my typical street riding... Street riding I don't usually go above 4-5k RPM on the 919.

The Pilot Roads should be fine for novice.

And the speedometer thing is not a joke, and you pretty much nailed it about why. No reason to worry about speed, and makes it easier to just focus on the skills you need to build. This way there's no temptation to be looking down at your speedo. You have a tachometer on that thing, right?

When doing a Motoseries novice day they make you tape it. At least they did when I did my first trackday (with good ole Craigypoo as my instructor).

The Pilot Roads should be fine for novice.

And the speedometer thing is not a joke, and you pretty much nailed it about why. No reason to worry about speed, and makes it easier to just focus on the skills you need to build. This way there's no temptation to be looking down at your speedo. You have a tachometer on that thing, right?

When doing a Motoseries novice day they make you tape it. At least they did when I did my first trackday (with good ole Craigypoo as my instructor).

Makes sense, yes it has a tach.

Not mentioned to often but wear ear plugs. And this almost went 6 post before going ghey ;)

Yep, I wear ear plugs on the street if I'm planning on riding more than a 5-10 minute ride to the gym or store. I've found they don't really seem to eliminate much noise for me though.

Unplug the headlight and certainly the tails. There can be NO light coming fro the tail light when braking. Also, unplugging the head light prevents gummy residue from the heat of the light on to the tape...

USE DUCT TAPE on the wheel weights.

Bring enough water to keep hydrated and bring plenty of fuel. You'll be amazed at how much you will use...

If you feel uncomfortable going through the keyhole, try going faster.

My instructor recommended that when I was at Mid-O and it sounded a little weird :wtf: but I'll be damned if it didn't help.

Good luck, you're going to have a blast.

If you feel uncomfortable going through the keyhole, try going faster.

Best advice ever, "Try going faster." :D

If only someone told me that a long time ago I'd be racing MotoGp or at least AMA by now. Why didn't I think of that?

• Upvote 1

Best advice ever, "Try going faster." :D

If only someone told me that a long time ago I'd be racing MotoGp or at least AMA by now. Why didn't I think of that?

:lol: I knew somebody was going to give me crap for that one :D

I was tip-toeing through there for the first couple of sessions and the bike felt pretty uncomfortable. When I mentioned that to my instructor, he recommended a quicker pace to help stabilize the bike, which worked pretty well once I finally sacked up and did it.

Keep in mind that this was Novice uber-n00b pace on a tricky corner. In general that's probably not great advice :D

...front forks (from an F4i) with new internals & rear shock from a F3 on my 919.

I'm going to have Hoblick do the installations, though I just read in another thread he has a torn rotator, so I'm not sure if that'll delay him.

I'm sure Hoblick will setup your suspension. But with major changes to your suspension, I would do a few curvy rides to see if it needs fine tuning before you get to the track.

I was tip-toeing through there for the first couple of sessions and the bike felt pretty uncomfortable. When I mentioned that to my instructor, he recommended a quicker pace to help stabilize the bike, which worked pretty well once I finally sacked up and did it.

Keep in mind that this was Novice uber-n00b pace on a tricky corner. In general that's probably not great advice :D

Accelerating though a corner is really good advice (most of the time).

Haha yeah I knew what the instructor meant, but out of context it sounds like pretty funny advice.