Nesba pirc 5/25-5/26

RHill

I have done 30+ NESBA events. If you've never ridden with them before, you can't register in Advanced w/o an expert race license.

Register in "I" if you've never ridden with them before, but have a good amount of track experience. You can't register in "B" this time, and then choose to register in "I" next time.

IMHO, NESBA has the most consistently fast control riders of any trackday org.

Just be sure to follow the group rules. No inside passes in "I."

I probably know a fair number of the people who will be control-riding the event, and my guess is Todd will be the director. My buddy Jeff will almost definitely be control riding. #15(?) on a blue R6 (like everyone else...), and my buddy Mike will be riding Advanced on an R1. Not sure what color. He just got it over the winter.

I may stop up to hang out with those guys. I'll look for you if i do.

I like Nesba set up a little better than the others. It's more structured and consistent. Also people tend to be more properly grouped since they have to bump you up to higher groups instead of you choosing your group. They don't hesitate to knock riders down a group too that are clearly in the wrong pack.

I want to go to PIRC again and see how NESBA runs things, but the part of my brain that is fiscally responsible is saying "no you idiot, MotoSeries at Nelson and Mid-O are the 31st-4th". The bad thing is, I'll be driving right past PIRC next weekend, whether or not I go to the track....makes it so much more tempting.

Not 1 person I know who rides the track or goes to track days has ever said anything good about Nesba. They all have HATED their experience. I have never been personally so I just don't really know,but I trust the 10-20 people who have told me. Also while racing the past 5 years there is a trailer that races with us that has NESBA sux in HUGE letters on both sides. That track however is fun and I bet anytime on 2 wheels there could be fun....

^ Brandon's buddies must all think they're faster than they actually are, because the only people who hate NESBA are the people who insist they should be in a faster group, but haven't gotten moved up.

the NESBA class rules are designed to force you to actually learn various skills. B group only allows passing on the straights. Forces you to learn to pass on the brakes. I group only allows outside passes. Forces you to learn to carrying more cornerspeed, rather than risking taking someone out by stuffing it up the inside.

I always laugh at these "fast" riders, who can't pass the people they claim are so much slower.

If you're really faster, "traffic" isn't an issue. You just pass them.

• Upvote 1

I have to agree with that ^

I see too many people at MidO that are in I and A that have no business in those groups.

They are the same ones I usually have to treat at medical.

I think Nesba does a great job of keeping people where they really belong instead of where they feel they should be

Don't get me wrong through, all the different orgs have a handful of control riders that will go out of their way to help riders. All the orgs have good and bad. All the orgs you will have fun with. I just feel Nesba does the best job of placing riders where they really belong.

Don't get me wrong through, all the different orgs have a handful of control riders that will go out of their way to help riders. All the orgs have good and bad. All the orgs you will have fun with. I just feel Nesba does the best job of placing riders where they really belong.

I think some of it has to do with what you're trying to get out of your trackday too.

Like I said, NESBA's rules force you to learn to move up a group. Other orgs might be considered "better" if your goal is just to go out and have a good time, without really caring about specifically building your skills.

I definitely had some very frustrating days in NESBA's "B" group until I figured out that you have to actually back-off to set up a pass on a more powerful bike... You can't be right on their ass through a turn and expect to out-power them; you have to back off by 100+ feet prior to the turn that leads to the straight, then carry your additional corner speed, and time it so that you're catching the rider just as you're both upright again. Then you're accelerating from 75, and while the other rider is accelerating from 60 (or whatever).

The bigger bike will still probably catch up to you on the straight, but you should be able to stay close enough to pass on the brakes.

All I have to say is good luck moving up to a different group. I know one guy that races with us that couldn't get moved out of B group.

Was he following the passing rules? NESBA definitely does not reward people for demonstrating how fast they are by ignoring the B group rules.

And why did he register in B to begin with if he felt he could maintain an intermediate pace?

I started in "B" group and got moved up to "I" and then "A." It can be done.

Edited by redkow97

All I have to say is good luck moving up to a different group. I know one guy that races with us that couldn't get moved out of B group.

Guess it depend on the control riders there that day too, some are just better at it than others and pay more attention to bumping I suppose. I did my first track day ever with Nesba at Putnam a few years ago ran B the whole day and bumped to I the second session of my next day. I didn't do any Nesba days last season though so I guess they could have changed a lot last season.

I will say that the Control Riders tend to view their first priority as getting the slowest riders up to speed, rather than evaluating the fastest riders in teh group.

...but that helps everyone. If the slow guys drop 10 seconds before lunch, EVERYONE has a better afternoon.

At BeaveRun, I used to do 1:10's in "B" group, following all the passing rules. I'm certain that if you put me out there now, I could manage a 1:06 or so without breaking any rules. Not every lap mind you, but if you're really decently fast, you should be passing 4-5 riders at a time on the brakes, then ducking back into the parade for the corner.

I personally witnessed a guy turning 1:04's in "B" group. The control riders bumped him after 2 sessions. He was following all the rules, and they told him to do 1 session in "I" and if that went well, they'd let him go in "A" in the afternoon if he wanted.

Nesba has the fastest control riders, huh? Hmmmmm. Interesting.

that's not what I said. I said they're the most consistently fast. Meaning every last NESBA CR can turn at least a 1:03 at BeaveRun, and 1:15 or so at Nelson (for reference).

I am well aware that other orgs have coaches who can destroy those times, but from what I have seen, other orgs also tend to have a lot of coaches who can't go that fast. They stick those guys with the newer riders. NESBA doesn't do that.

But if you want to make it a pissing contest, Brad Burns is a NESBA CR. Pretty sure he'd give Neyra a run for his money on any track.

There is really no need to have someone that can do 3s in novice since most orgs will bump you at the 10-12 mark. Hell nelsons you are lucky if someone is running close to a 30.

In the end, it's a trackday, it can't be bad (unless mcra is involved lol).

^ Brandon's buddies must all think they're faster than they actually are, because the only people who hate NESBA are the people who insist they should be in a faster group, but haven't gotten moved up.

the NESBA class rules are designed to force you to actually learn various skills. B group only allows passing on the straights. Forces you to learn to pass on the brakes. I group only allows outside passes. Forces you to learn to carrying more cornerspeed, rather than risking taking someone out by stuffing it up the inside.

I always laugh at these "fast" riders, who can't pass the people they claim are so much slower.

If you're really faster, "traffic" isn't an issue. You just pass them.

Yep those dam fast riders that must simplly not know the nesba staff. I like their ideas,but they have totally made it about their friends and not about actual skill

Yep those dam fast riders that must simplly not know the nesba staff. I like their ideas,but they have totally made it about their friends and not about actual skill

Didn't you just say you've never actually ridden a NESBA event?

You know an awful lot about a group of people you've never met, and have never ridden with.

You have an expert race license, which means you can contact them and star out in "A" group if you want. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by the skill of the people around you, and how much smoother and safer your day will go than can happen with other orgs.

In the interest of fairness and full "disclosure," I have recently heard rumblings that STT no longer allows people to register in "A" without authorization as well. That was always my biggest issue with their system. I think it's a great improvement that they're addressing it.

Didn't you just say you've never actually ridden a NESBA event?

You know an awful lot about a group of people you've never met, and have never ridden with.

You have an expert race license, which means you can contact them and star out in "A" group if you want. I think you'd be pleasantly surprised by the skill of the people around you, and how much smoother and safer your day will go than can happen with other orgs.

In the interest of fairness and full "disclosure," I have recently heard rumblings that STT no longer allows people to register in "A" without authorization as well. That was always my biggest issue with their system. I think it's a great improvement that they're addressing it.

Thats the truth. I just have to listen to my fellow RACERS that have went to go practice and were pissed off. If i go I know I can do "A" group,but honestly a white plate or "expert" status is not really a good way to judge. It is however a easy way for an org to try to make it better for it clients and I am always looking for a way to separate clases to make it safer,but its an impossible task. Props to them and now STT for trying,but as a coach myself its got to be impossible to make everyone happy on any given day. I was just adding my 2 cents to what I have heard as I have been in this a while now.