hitch-mount carriers. Experience? Opinions?

redkow97

unfolding my HF 4x8 and reinstalling the wheel chock just to move my bike across town to load my buddy's truck is a pain in the ass.

I'm considering a hitch-mount carrier for short trips, and any time I have to travel toll roads (where the trailer is a money pit!)

the harbor freight model is inexpensive. Anyone used it?

http://www.harborfreight.com/400-lb-receiver-mount-motorcycle-carrier-99721.html

This would just be for my XR100. Never a sportbike. My max tongue weight is supposed to be 200 lbs, so the XR should be well under that.

Assuming these things work decently well, I would also like to potentially use it as a gear-carrier. This is where people who have one can help me out. Could I bolt a sheet of plywood onto the rail, and stick a generator and gas can on the thing? Or a lawn mower? Or even just a big tupperware container of camping equipment?

That would vastly increase its usefulness, and (without having seen one...) I don't think it would be hard to do.

rslocum has one that he's let me borrow in the past and it worked great for moving my scooter and i forget what else. he might be selling his (that was a while ago though), and his is a pretty nice unit.

just be sure your tongue weight rating covers the bike you're mounting.

just be sure your tongue weight rating covers the bike you're mounting.

That has been my concern from the start, but I have a 2" receiver hitch, and it would only ever be moving my XR100 (150 lbs?)

So even if my max tongue weight is 200 lbs (which is what I recall reading in my manual, although the internet says 350), I should be fine, no?

eBay has these things for $80, which is about what the HF model comes out to after the 20% off coupon. The eBay specials are steel, and the HF is aluminum.

the reduced weight of aluminum probably makes it worth it, I guess.

What class is your hitch? 200 lbs seems low to me.

200 does seem low. 350 or 400 is what Ive seen for most that can actually mount a 2" receiver.

Remember you have to account for the weight of the rack in your limits. Since a stock crf100f is 174 you are probably over when including the rack. A steel rack will be worse than the aluminum one. However at 350# rating you should be good.

Craig

Preserved for eternity.

i would not contradict that statement, regardless of edits

it's like a 10 jumbo marshmallows stacked on top of the other. i dont know how he doesnt faint, he could probably give a vampire diabeetus.

I'm pretty sure my receiver is rated for 500 lb tongue load. It could have to do with the vehicle' date=' itself. :dunno:[/quote']

Tongue weight rating is a vehicle rating, based on suspension and frame.

200# is probably a reasonable number for a car but I would be surprised to see a 2" receiver available for such a vehicle.

Craig

200# is probably a reasonable number for a car but I would be surprised to see a 2" receiver available for such a vehicle.

Craig

I have looked at these types of carriers with great interest. There are pics of guys loading 800lb Harleys onto them.

I have a Honda Oddesey with a Uhaul hitch. I asked around and Honda and Uhaul couldn't confirm if the hitch would hold a 400-800lb bike on a 2" reciever. I really wanted to use one instead of having to deal with a trailer.

I am still interested and would love to ditch the trailer. I have only carried two bikes twice and having the trailer in the yard is a PITA.

Craig

it's a 2007 Hyundai Tucson, so not exactly a beefy truck-based SUV.

I believe my hitch is a class IV receiver, and I know it's 2". The hitch can likely handle more than the suspension.

For as infrequently as I plan to use this, I'm not too worried, even if the bike is 175 and not 150 as I was calculating.

For anyone else using or considering one of these, I did get a helpful tip in the reviews section of the HF website.

Stick a jack under the end of the carrier when loading or unloading. This holds it level until the bike is more balanced, and eliminates a LOT of stress on the carrier and hitch when loading or unloading.

Necessary? Maybe not. But it definitely can't hurt.