Kilkare Dragway

2fat2fly

The track was open today and there were bikes running. I, however, was not.

2013-06-22140232_zpsc5fed5ff.jpg

2013-06-22140144_zpsc4f8ee4b.jpg

2013-06-22140106_zps5ba0d873.jpg

2013-06-22140018_zpsd40e7c45.jpg

The track is beautiful and looks to be about the safest I've seen. The normal parking we enjoyed last year won't be happening this year. The old staging lane is for foot traffic only. There are gates up and they are closed so we won't be riding our bikes into that area and parking. There looks to be other areas to park and still get a good view of the track. So it would be possible to have an O.R. get together at the track and be close to our bikes while enjoying the on track action.

o shat, looks like a party in the making. uh o. loud crazy wild bikers, o nooooooooo. hahaha. i just seen the pics above again. i see no gurd rails. i was shooting for trying to run the street et class that day but most talked me out of making a fool of myself at a big event. plus turning 30 on the 25th and wanting to celebrate, probably wouldnt be the best time to try the maiden voyage. it would be too much for a 1st trip down the strip

i see no gurd rails. i was shooting for trying to run the street et class that day but most talked me out of making a fool of myself at a big event.

There are no metal guard rails because they use concrete walls now. You can see them in the pictures. I wouldn't try to learn drag racing at a national event either. Use your local weekly test & tune for that. Put in all the laps you can for as cheaply as possible so you can learn to drag race, you can learn the bike and what it takes to be consistent and fast. Then go to the big events.

2fat, i know. I watched them remove the rails on youtube, i think.... i seen that they were putting in the concrete barriers. I have been to kilkare but that was many years ago.  And the ONLY reason I even debated trying to run street at KK that weekend, it was a 20 dollar entry fee. not bad. but i talked to a few folks and they HIGHLY suggested I DO NOT try that weekend. Maybe next year I can do it. I plan on being out at national trails before July is over. might have found a shifter that ive been searching for. if so, it might be by the 4th of july. which would be cool since that is my one year anni with my ol CHopster. I need to find some clip on handlebars like a japanese bike has on the race bikes. cant find a set for my 35mm showas though and cant post an ad here for a few more weeks.

Edited by Ironheaddragster713

Ironhead: I saw that you were looking for leather in the free gear thread. I didnt want to highjack that thread so im posting this here. At Kilkare you arent required to wear full leathers to run test-n-tune until you exceed (iirc)120mph. In the pic above ^ that night i was running i think at best 127mph. So im pretty sure you will be fine. An actual race may be different. 

its the same at national trails, can wear jeans for test n tune. some tracks require leathers no matter what and I plan on running a few tracks. just to see which one has the most bikes and the most competition. that and I have family all over ohio and KY so I will be doing a lot of racing around ohio and KY. might hit indy and a few other tracks also just to go do it. ill be testing and tunning for the rest of this year and then next season, im going to try to run at least twice a week all season. I also had an offer for a set of leather so it will be one of those better safe than sorry deals. i was going to just use the chick leather pants i got on sale but they are too small so im having them resewn when i can find someone to do it for me. need to add an inch to waist and since they will be cutting them, having the zipper taken out and use buttons and moving the flap from right side (chicks0 to left (mens)

"Possibility" that we may make it to KilKare July 27 or 28.  I'm anxious to see the new setup in person.

There was talk last year about renting Summit MP in Norwalk for an OR meet/race.   Rental around a $1000 to have the dragstrip at our disposal for a day, was mentioned - which, with enough participation would be fairly inexpensive to run all you want......what happened to that idea?  Where's MachSpd?   Believe it was his idea in the beginning

"Possibility" that we may make it to KilKare July 27 or 28.  I'm anxious to see the new setup in person.

There was talk last year about renting Summit MP in Norwalk for an OR meet/race.   Rental around a $1000 to have the dragstrip at our disposal for a day, was mentioned - which, with enough participation would be fairly inexpensive to run all you want......what happened to that idea?  Where's MachSpd?   Believe it was his idea in the beginning

I would be in for a Kilkare rental.

Sound like a good start for birthday festivities for Snot and some old guy that shares the same date.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone going to be there tomorrow? I'll be there with friends.

My wife and I will be in Columbus at the Goodguys show and Saturday we'll be at Mid-Ohio for the AMA Superbikes.

I was there last night with 4 other people. Was great to see some of those cars and bikes running. The mustang calling out all the Hondas was awesome and the GTR was amazing to see run.

I ended up not going anywhere. My wife and I went to Mid-Ohio today for the AMA races and I needed my beuty sleep.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight is KK's Friday night lights deal and I have heard from some friends at a lcal speed shop that there are supposed to be several mid to low 8 second bikes there tonight trying to win a little cash. There's also all the Harely (AMRA) guys that are already at the track for the AMRA weekend so it may be a very good night to see some racing.