Anyone Shoot Highpower Service Rifle?

Strawboss

I do. I started out almost 20 years ago shooting M-1 Garands, I then got a an M-14 and shot that for awhile, I got tired of being a recoil pad so I picked up a new Bushmaster AR-15 with an A2 stock 1/9 factory bull barrel, I've since added a Giselle two stage trigger, free float tube, Armalite 1/2 minute match sights and a  Turner leather sling. My scores went up 20 points over the next few matches and hovered around the 460-475 area and I never looked back. My first match this season is Sunday, I was busy the last two months so I missed the first two. Its a local 100yd match thats basically a warm up for the season, 50 rounds with sighters, a fun match with alibis and coaching for new shooters. Sometimes I like to take a rifle not normally seen on the line like my Soviet SKS or my Tokarev SVT-40 or an M1-Carbine or Polish M-44. I shoot at Camp Perry during the CMP phases and have shot some team matches. Anybody else here shoot highpower?

It's been a long time since I shot highpower service rifle, maybe 8-10 years at this point.  I still have my match garand but it hasn't been out of the safe for almost 3 years now for anything other than regular cleaning and re-lubing.  The second Garand I picked up to shoot for practice is the gun that gets all the range time these days. 

With good handloads I can hold 1MOA groups with the match gun.  It's a Barnett medium weight match barrel with a target crown and a fairly tight chamber, New old stock gas system and all new rear sight parts.  Hand fitted stock, trigger smoothed out, op rod was built up and then custom fitted to the reciever so basically everything that can be done to a Garand was done to it.  I can shoot it for service rifle classes but due to the non-spec barrel dimensions I can't shoot the John C. Garand matches.

IMG_5557-1.jpg

That's a nice M-1! The Garand matches at Perry were great fun. We did an all Garand NTIT or the "Rattle Battle" back in the 90's, we had a blast, all the military guys were coming up to us on the ready line looking at us and having a great time. Speedy, lots of places to shoot rifle in the NE Ohio area, Grafton is the closest, then you got Medina, and West Salem, true, 20 miles at least but worth it to shoot. West Salem will eventually have a 600 yd range. Minerva has a 1000 yd range. Again, a drive, but where can you shoot 1000yds?

South Cuyahoga Sportsmans Club is located in North Royalton but their range is in Erhart which is near Rt. 82 and Rt. 252. West Branch Rifle and Pistol Club is on Neff Rd. off of Rt. 83 in Grafton Twp. These are clubs you need to join and be a member of the NRA to shoot at. I belong to West Branch, they have a 100yd range and a pistol range. I also belong to Ashland Lake Gun Club located on Rt. 42 in West Salem. They have 100, 200, and 300 yd ranges. Ashland is a premiere club with premiere prices to get into, but its got some really nice ranges. West Branch is under $200/year. Both these clubs are owned by the members.  

No public ranges I know of. North Olmsted is a small indoor pistol range club that I think is only open for events, not sure if you can just go there anytime and shoot. As I belong to West Branch, they have inter club shooting in the winter, basically one Saturday a month to plink and do something when its cold out. anyway, I took my AR-15 with a dedicated .22LR upper and they about pooped their panties when I walked up to the firing line. I spent the better part of an hour explaining it was a .22LR upper not .223. They were beside themselves.

Nice range. $18 a hour for handguns $22 a hour for rifle/shotgun. Allow fmj for rifle up to 308 also allow slugs for shotgun. Very nice stalls an air filtration system. Prices not bad on ammo and gun sales. Very informed laid back staff. Gets a plus rating will be going back for sure.

OK. Someplace to go when its cold out but jeez if you just go twice a month in the winter months for two hours that's more than belonging to a club where you can shoot anything except 50BMG. I know its convenient but I guess I haven't check out prices lately. Do you have to join and then pay when you go?

Nope no signing up just go. First time they make you watch a video. Yeah public ranges are not cheap.. But private club from what i have seen have plenty of down sides also. Since you are a member of southern cuyahoga i will not bad mouth them but i was very rudely treated when i was checking into joining up. And will not go back there again.