Road Update Hocking And Athens Area

Mary#17

June 21 and 22

374 - decent amount of gravel in turns so be aware. North side had more

Kreashbaum - gravel as well but still fun

56 - mostly in good shape (between south bloomington and Athens)

356 - pretty decent. A couple spots of gravel but not bad

278 - pretty clean for the most part especially around the parks

691 - pretty clean

685 - mostly clean

Stay safe and enjoy!

Thanks!  I think 356, 278 and 691 are all relatively new pavement.  I did 56, 78 and 377 Saturday.  Seems like 78 had a few patchy spots but everything else was pretty good.

It's good to here all the good stuff down there is still in good condition.I was going to head down there last weekend and just didn't make it.I haven't  been on 374 or Kreashbaum at all this year,and that's very unusual for me.

I've gotta get down there...I've got a route in Morgan and Washington counties I've been running a lot this year...maybe I should change it up a bit. 

See any snakes?There was a big black snake hanging out on 356 last year.

Thanks for the update.

Edited by drc32-0

Where out east? I haven't been East of 77 in a couple years but so many of the roads were in such bad shape that it didn't warrant the time. If they have been repaved, that would be a different story.

mary

The bottom part of 800 between 255 and Fly(7) has been paved in the last two years.Really fun if you don't get stuck behind traffic.

564 east of Caldwell from 78 to 145 was paved last year.Part of 565 has been paved recently.

145 in the same area was paved about two years ago.I know they're west of 77,but a couple of my favorite roads are in that area ,339 and 530.If you haven't been on 530...check it out.It's short at about 5-6 miles,but it is one of the most challenging roads in southeast Ohio.339 was paved about three years ago and is another very good road.The first two or three miles out of Beverly is still older pavement.

If you want try a good county road Rinauld Mills Rd between 260 and 26 was paved last year,but be forewarned that the new pavement stops at the county line about a  mile or two south of R.M. and the old pavement is bad.I usually do an out and back from 260 instead of riding the bad stuff to R.M.

It has been a couple months since I've been over there,but 260,537 and 26 were all in good condition.255 is pretty good,but has a few rough patches.

• Upvote 1

Yesterday I took a ride on most of the roads I mentioned in my last post.The only thing I found worth noting is that ODOT has been doing a lot of patching on 255,It's good quality patching,not the drop a couple shovels full of asphalt and let the cars work it in stuff.It looks like they're cutting the bad stuff out,patching,rolling and sealing the seams.There are dozens of these patches,but 255 is still a fun ride.

Bridge work on 537.

Archer's Fork Rd closed at 26...bridge out.

A couple slides in the southbound lane of 260 between Marr and 26.

Another good out and back county road...Brownsville Rd(CR 33) off of 260 in New Matt.