Fork Play

Tonik

Zero play is probably unrealistic in a real world mechanical sense.  All parts that move relative to other parts require clearance, otherwise they wouldn't move.  That being said, a noticeable/measurable amount of play in lower fork legs would indicate that your slider bushings are seriously worn, maybe even perhaps non-existent.  Are you positive the play is in the lower fork legs (relative to the upper legs)?  Possible that the movement you feel is in the steering head bearings?

• Upvote 1

I checked the service manual for mine, and it didn't list any checks or measurements for that. Dunno.

I've never extended front forks and shaken them to find any sort of major play in the forks themselves.

Not even after having been bent. Triple tree bearings, yes.

It should be a slip fit, which normally is barely felt as lateral movement.

Worn slider bushing and/or fork tube bushing is all I can think of.

Cruising the internet, it appears that some bikes have very loose tolerances on these bushings.

Those will shake enough to worry some.

If the front end doesn't shudder shake or vibrate (or other wierdness), I'd consider not worrying about it.

Edited by ReconRat

Odd, it has 65K on it. For this bike that is nothing. I hang at a forum just for this bike and never seen anyone say a word about having to replace slider bushings. I am asking over there. Upon further investigation most of my panic was because the calipers were off and they were rattling as I moved the forks. After hanging them up out of the way I notice both move, and very little.

Yea, I am going to have the rebuilt and replace the head bearing since it will be apart. The proof they need to be rebuilt is that one moves more than the other. If I can notice the difference in movement it isn't right. I'll pull them and do the head bearing. It won't be a ton of money, bike is well worth it. It is not going to be replaced soon.

Thanks for bringing me back to earth on this issue gang.

But what still puzzles me is they are not leaking.

Looking at the parts diagram I would say because the seal is above the bushing. So it just hasn't moved around enough to damage the seal. Yet.