Transitions Visor For Bell Helmets

Gixxus Christ!

Me too, for months. My eyeglasses are transitions lenses but the uv coating on helmet visors prevents them from darkening. I don't like carrying around two visors and plan to buy bell helmets for the forseeable future and the visor fits vortex, star, rs1 and revolver models so I will definitely get good use out if it

Love my Bell with presto-chango lens! Why all the other manufacturers aren't doing this is beyond me. Exclusive for Bell? Was thinking one other company offered a self tinting lens.

Love my Bell with presto-chango lens! Why all the other manufacturers aren't doing this is beyond me. Exclusive for Bell? Was thinking one other company offered a self tinting lens.

Other companies have thought of it. They just use the far cheaper solution.  Hence the clear lens with the flip down tint.

plan to buy bell helmets for the forseeable future

:wtf:... I'm completely opposite.. Can't wait until I can afford a different helmet... My bell sucks. Shit I've had to do diy repairs on the thing twice because the workmanship is so awful... You're crazy. Have you tried anything else to compare? I thought my $89 hjc was pretty nice, but once I got my shoei I realized the hjc sucked.

I've had other lids, hic, icon, some other brands. The fit and finish on bell helmets is superior to others I've had, maybe you got a bad one. I don't think I'd go with the vortex again just because of wind noise issues, maybe rs1 or star for my next bucket. As far as venting and comfort, I love it.

My rs1 fits awesome.. It's fairly light too... Workmanship is nowhere near what my shoei was... My rf1100 was the best helmet I've ever had. My next will be a qwest.

I wanted a quest but it didn't fit right, XL was too big and the L was too tight. Going to get a Nolan

Sam, how quickly does the visor transition between clear to tinted? I considered getting one for my Star since I've been toting a spare to swap out between riding to work in the dark and the bright ride home, but the pricetag was hard to justify trying one out when I can get 3 visors for the same money

Mutt, it takes maybe ten seconds. I wear transitions eyeglasses but the uv coating on helmet visors prevents them from darkening. In my experience they go from clear to dark much faster than they go from dark to clear, so if you have tunnels or covered bridges to go through it may not be a good choice. I haven't rode with it yet as its been pretty shit weather today.

I've had other lids, hic, icon, some other brands. The fit and finish on bell helmets is superior to others I've had, maybe you got a bad one. I don't think I'd go with the vortex again just because of wind noise issues, maybe rs1 or star for my next bucket. As far as venting and comfort, I love it.

Same here... I knew as soon as I tried an RS-1 on, it fit my head perfectly. Got the transition visor for it as well, much better than the flip down solutions other manufactures have, plus it can keep its SNELL rating that way.

Take it in the sunlight and snap a pic? Curious how dark transition lense gets

Pretty dark...  Dark enough to almost look black.

Not my pictures, but:

http://rideapart.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/bell-rs1-mid-2.jpg

http://rideapart.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/bell-rs1-mid1.jpg

Edited by 8Rider6

I have had my Bell Star Contra for about 2 years and must say it is the best helmet I have ever owned.  I have tried Icon, Shoei, Arai, Vega, HJC, etc. And my Bell Star is right up there with the premium helmets of Shoei and Arai by far.  It is so light and fits so snug and comfy.  It even comes with a very nice helmet bag and extra shields.  I couldn't pass it up as it only cost my $200 back then.  Not bad for a $550 helmet.  In addition, Bell is American company so I like to support American whenver I can.  It has amazing ventilation and even Josh Herrin in AMA Superbike series runs a Bell Star helmet so you know it is great for track days.  I must say that I am a Bell Star guy now.  I couldn't go back even if I tried.  I told my wife that when it is time to replace this Bell helmet that I will pay the full price for a new one...it is that good.  I have my eyes on the Bell Star Carbon...someday...someday.

Maybe the star will be better, but don't get an rs1 if wind noise is an issue. Mine is loud as hell. I have to wear ear plugs or else the wind noise is unbearable on the freeway

The Star will be as loud as the RS-1 if the venting is similar. Good ventilation usually comes with some added noise. I always wear plugs on longer rides anyhow. No issue with workmanship either...everything is tip top. Will be buying a second one this fall.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I had my Bell Star for about two years now and it is awesome.  I got it at www.motorcyclecloseouts.com for just under $200 and it came with 3 lens (two clear and one smoke) and a few extras, plus a sweet helmet bag.  Not bad for a helmet that retails for $550.  I wouldn't trade if for nothing.  It fits perfect.  Yes, it is a bit loud, but it pushes alot of air through to keep you cool on those hot humid days.  Just wear ear plugs if it is too loud.  I love it so much when the time comes to replace it I will be getting another Star, probably the Carbon and I don't care if I have to pay full price for my next one.  It is that good.  And having the option of other lens, especially the transitioning lens, makes this helmet all the more sweeter to me.

Just my .02

OhioBob

Edited by OhioBob

now that mine is glued back together properly and isnt falling apart, im starting to dislike it less...it does vent extremely well...i wont ever be buying another, still, but im not in as big of a hurry to replace it either.....i havent had to do any DIY repairs in a month or two on it....when i come back to ohio in december, i need to pick up some new gloves - if i have money left over im gonna grab some boots, and after that, maybe a new helmet...depends how much i blow on gloves/boots

Edited by Steve Butters