Controversy : Dui Checkpoint Overkill?

DerekClouser

. The video doesn't show how the dog "hit" on the car. Just jumping doesn't mean that is his alert. Some dogs sit, lay, bark, scratch, etc. This would be backed up by training records and any other K9 searches.

both parties are at fault. Driver for being difficult, officer for being a jerk. The officer could have gone about his interview in a less aggressive and intimidating way and the driver probably would have relaxed on proving a point.

my main thing with the dog is how does anyone know that the dog is actually "hitting" and not just responding to a cue from the handler? you cant subpoena the dog to ask him... it's a tool to make up a reason to search the car when you don't really have any reason in the first place. "oh yup. the dog alerted!"... i mean, hell they didnt find any drugs in this guy's car but the dog was "alerting". so either the handler is lying or the dog is not reliable.

speaking of unreliable, i remember seeing a study that said of the cases they looked at, drugs were only found in less than half the searches where the dog "hit". if i can find it ill post it up.

i guess my biggest thing with the video was the end where the cops are saying "it wasnt even a good alert" "he's totally innocent"... if it was a bad alert, and you know he's innocent why the f are you detaining him and searching his car? just to jam him up bc he was being a butt? is that how good cops are supposed to operate?

Edited by John
  • Upvote 1

Somewhere along the way Cops have forgotten that they work for us. We pay the bills. Because they have a badge, we have to provide them with our papers because they said so. Nobody Polices the Police and they are free to do what they want at no risk. Even if they do get sued the tax payer pays the bill and they get maybe get a slap on the wrist, some anger training and a paid leave of absence.  They are high paid meter maids. The good ones are few and far between and getting more scarce by the day. Time for people to wise up and take control back and hold them accountable. The Pig in the video shown should be in jail. Never to hold a badge of any kind again. Lose his pension as well. He is out of control garbage as a high percentage are.

Somewhere along the way Cops have forgotten that they work for us. We pay the bills. Because they have a badge, we have to provide them with our papers because they said so. Nobody Polices the Police and they are free to do what they want at no risk. Even if they do get sued the tax payer pays the bill and they get maybe get a slap on the wrist, some anger training and a paid leave of absence. They are high paid meter maids. The good ones are few and far between and getting more scarce by the day. Time for people to wise up and take control back and hold them accountable. The Pig in the video shown should be in jail. Never to hold a badge of any kind again. Lose his pension as well. He is out of control garbage as a high percentage are.

I don't think the percentage is any higher than the general populaton. But since I also think that 2% of the populaton is clinically insane, LEOs are just a part of that. Only they have badges & guns. And people video them when they screw up.

I'd like to know if the kid ever got any compensatoin for his scratched up car.

Edited by DAC

Somewhere along the way Cops have forgotten that they work for us. We pay the bills. Because they have a badge, we have to provide them with our papers because they said so. Nobody Polices the Police and they are free to do what they want at no risk. Even if they do get sued the tax payer pays the bill and they get maybe get a slap on the wrist, some anger training and a paid leave of absence. They are high paid meter maids. The good ones are few and far between and getting more scarce by the day. Time for people to wise up and take control back and hold them accountable. The Pig in the video shown should be in jail. Never to hold a badge of any kind again. Lose his pension as well. He is out of control garbage as a high percentage are.

I hate that phrase, the cops work for us we pay their paychecks. I didn't realize cops didn't pay taxes.

my main thing with the dog is how does anyone know that the dog is actually "hitting" and not just responding to a cue from the handler? you cant subpoena the dog to ask him... it's a tool to make up a reason to search the car when you don't really have any reason in the first place. "oh yup. the dog alerted!"... i mean, hell they didnt find any drugs in this guy's car but the dog was "alerting". so either the handler is lying or the dog is not reliable.

speaking of unreliable, i remember seeing a study that said of the cases they looked at, drugs were only found in less than half the searches where the dog "hit". if i can find it ill post it up.

i guess my biggest thing with the video was the end where the cops are saying "it wasnt even a good alert" "he's totally innocent"... if it was a bad alert, and you know he's innocent why the f are you detaining him and searching his car? just to jam him up bc he was being a butt? is that how good cops are supposed to operate?

The average person wouldn't know how the dog was alerting. But many K9 searches are caught on dash cam now so the officer can point out what the dog did to alert him. Yes I'm sure some tell the dog to sit then say the dog alerted and search. But most trainers now allow the dog to do whatever comes natural when he smells whatever is is trained to find. Like I stud some dogs want to sit, bark, scratch, etc and the good trainers don't try to change the behavior but learn to roll with the personality of the dog. It's normal for the officer to point to where the dog should search. This officer pointed at the open window, obviously so the dog could smell inside the car. That didn't look like the dog alerted to me but we also can't see what the dog did after her got down, that could have been when he alerted. And without watching the video again, wasn't there a couple spots that were cut from the video?

Oh, and just because they didn't find any drugs doesn't mean residual smell from lighting up in the car isn't still there.

Edited by chevysoldier

Kid took a drug test on his own accord and passed, fwiw..

not worth anything actually. That doesn't mean he's never had drugs in the car. Even if he had a buddy smoke a joint in there, the scent could be less than we can smell but still enough the dog could pick it up.

I've searched cars I swore I'd find drugs in because it stunk of it but came up with nothing. I know he either threw it out the window, or finished it or just let his buddy out and he had it but without a doubt there were drugs in the vehicle recently.

Edited by chevysoldier

I hate that phrase, the cops work for us we pay their paychecks. I didn't realize cops didn't pay taxes.

You might hate it but its true. Too many Cops think they are above the law and have the ability to make up laws because they have a badge. In the name of safety they can decide to take away all your freedoms that the constitution gives us when they have no right to do it. What if that kid asked the Cop to take a blood test or search the officer for drugs? If he ried to search the Cop he would be told no and have his head busted in. But the Cop feels its ok to search him, his vehicle, and his record for absolutely no reason other than the fact he happened to be driving down that road. We continue to allow this to happen while Cops take more and more away. It sounds like you are a Police Officer. Do you feel you have special rights over people? Are Cops above the law? Why are they even allowed to do this?   

Let me rephrase. If you actually process teenagers for simple possession, instead of confiscating said weed and then sending them on their way... you're a shitty cop. It's that simple.

Agree 100%. If not it affects them there entire life.