School Me On 08-11 Wrx Sti's

cOoTeR

So I'm looking into the idea of a fun car and have narrowed it down to a few options. I have another thread about building a car which is one thing I'm thinking of doing. The other is buying a ready to go car and the ones topping that list are the WRX STI's. I'd like to stay at or under $30,000 so out here that budget puts the 2011 asking price just over budget. I found 2 an 08 and an 09 in that range at the top end of the NADA value range at dealerships. From what I've read online the early 08's big issue is some pop out of second and should have the tranny replaced. Other than that what else should i be looking out for with these? I haven't met anyone that owns one that wasn't 100% satisfied with it. So I'd like to hear the good the bad and the ugly about it.

Broken ringlands were a serious problem from late '07 models into 2011...some guys going through two motors in less than 30k miles. It doesn't seem to be as big a problem on the '12'-13.

The stock tune is garbage, and some people think its the cause of all the ringland failures. But Stage 1 and 2 cars have blown up too.

I have 15k on my '11 and I love the car. But it's always in the back of my head that my engine could be next.

I had a deposit down on one of the last 2011s to come into the country.  While waiting I did some research.  Then I bought a 2013 Mustang instead.  Which is for sale BTW.  In your price range.  Let me know if you're interested.

Basically, IMHO, those STIs are stupid little poser cars that can't handle their own design power for more than short bursts.  Subaru sells you a performance package at an $8500 premium and then tells you "driving under boost for extended periods of time" is "abuse."  There are modifications that can be made to safeguard against the problems that PartyPizza alluded to, but I wanted a car with a warranty that was fast enough to be entertaining in 100% stock unmodified form.

If you're just going to cruise around on the street it will be fine.

I had a deposit down on one of the last 2011s to come into the country.  While waiting I did some research.  Then I bought a 2013 Mustang instead.  Which is for sale BTW.  In your price range.  Let me know if you're interested.

Basically, IMHO, those STIs are stupid little poser cars that can't handle their own design power for more than short bursts.  Subaru sells you a performance package at an $8500 premium and then tells you "driving under boost for extended periods of time" is "abuse."  There are modifications that can be made to safeguard against the problems that PartyPizza alluded to, but I wanted a car with a warranty that was fast enough to be entertaining in 100% stock unmodified form.

If you're just going to cruise around on the street it will be fine.

I thought about the mustang and camaro but I'm leaning more towards a 4 door so its easier to tow the family around. What kind of fuel mileage does your horse actually get? I think i may have to look into the mazdas.

• 3 weeks later...

Evo is the way to go forget the sti in my opinion

I've run into a bit of a hold up on this. The wife wants to wait until her car is paid off in March before giving me the full go ahead and ive got to admit life is much nicer when she isn't pissed. The last 3 bikes I bought she had said no but i bought them anyways. One thing I learned is the more money I spend the longer she is upset. So its probably best to wait. This isn't 100% a bad thing because after researching I can get a better deal on an EVO and they seem to be a better option. Also if I wait until March I will have gotten a raise in February so that helps with the budget + the lack of her car payment. I've found a few 08 EVO X's GSR's that I like around 20k. The problem is the closest one is about 300 miles from me so I've got to be pretty commited and ready when it comes time to buy so I don't waste a trip for no reason. So does anyone have any useful info on the EVO X's? I'm also kind of considering the EVO IX's as well but the looks are better on the X imhop. I doubt I'll be pushing it over 500hp so the aluminum block should be fine for me.

Get a Volkswagen GTi or a Mazda Speed 3 instead.

GTi's are slow and over-priced MS3 FTW!

MS3's started in 2007. 1st gen is 07-09 and 2nd gen is 10-13 (not sure yet about 2014). I've owned both and currently own a 2011 w 14k miles.

Handling - A Mazdaspeed 3 is only FWD not AWD. The vehicle won't handle like the STI's or Evo's, but IMO for a FWD car the MS3 handles very very well. Acceleration - Stock for stock STI/EVO's are about 1 second faster 0-60 than the MS3 - which will do 0-60 in about 5.7-5.9 seconds. HP for an MS3 is about 270-280 I believe. EVO/STI- about 300? Price - A loaded MS3 new will cost u about 26k (roughly) which is considerably less than the EVO/STI. I got mine for about 21k and it was a year and a half old with 8k miles. Fit & finish - the quality of the materials inside and out are top notch. The interiors of the STI/EVO - are dollar tree special. Gas mileage - I can get about 30 hwy & 18-20 city (if I stay out of it) The EVO/STI - cant even touch it. I believe they best about 25 hwy and 15 city. I firmly believe most of the $$ for those cars does NOT go into the interior of the vehicle.

Aftermarket - Is the big winner for the MS3 - there's so much u can do & it wont affect the warranty of ur vehicle or the durability. The tranny can handle upward's of 500+ WHP (wheel horsepower) and the rod's can handle upto about 400 WHP before u run into any issues & have to spend $$ to swap them out for forged. From what I'm told both EVO/STI's do have issues on anything more than 50+ WHP stock.

If u bought an MS3 and put the money into it that u saved over buying an EVO/STI it would pretty much stomp those cars in any aspect. Sure u can mod an EVO/STI as well of course. U can undoubtedly make and EVO/STI faster than an MS3 but it would cost u 3x as much. If ur looking for the best all rounder car - go for the MS3 - u wont regret it and ur wallet will be more happy.

BTW - One of the top car forums for MS3 is www.mazdaspeedforums.org - u dont have 2 be a member to take a look around - it's a very valuable website.

In the end it's all what u want in a car man and what u want it to do. I am slightly intoxicated right now so hopefully all this makes sense to you. if u have any questions lemme know. This is just my .02

Edited by silentcropduster