Home Alarm / Home Surveillance Systems

flounder

Alright, Go. 

Scruit, Im waiting on your input on Surveillance systems. Not looking to skimp here. 

Alarms I believe are all going to be fairly equal but if there is experience out there that says otherwise, let me know. 

I will be updating very soon..

There are huge differences in ease of use among security systems. I recommend Honeywell if you are using lots of wireless devices. If you are hard wiring everything, GE is plenty good. How many devices are you planning? Fire monitoring?

I don't recommend DSC or Bosch if you plan on changing any programming yourself down the line.

Stay away from big companies (ADT, Alarmforce, etc) if you don't want to be roped into a big contract and want to be able to change monitoring companies at will. I can do your monitoring for $15/month ($25/with cell back up) if you pay a year in advance and have an unlocked unit installed.

2 way voice is a fucking joke, FYI.

I put in a 4 camera dvr system in my mother in laws deli because her employees were stealing from her. Got it from some big electronics discount web site, trying to remember the name. Super easy to install, the dvr software was reasonably easy to navigate and you could set the cameras to trigger an alarm system if you have one and program the hours. Also could wire into your router and view via web from any device. Ill post more when I figure out Wtf it was and where I got it.

I'm gonna be going down this path pretty soon. Being the network nerd that I am, I prefer IP cams, but....$$$$$

Having said that, I refuse to buy something where I can't make out a fuckin' license plate if needed, or I can't see sh!t @ night. 

Sooo many options to consider...PC or appliance based DVR...IP Cam or no...etc..etc..Plus I plan on doing home automation at some point so everything will talk together at some level.

Subscribed...for giggles.

.Plus I plan on doing home automation at some point so everything will talk together at some level..

GE systems work well for this. NX8e system or similar.

This space intentionally left blank to avoid offending anyone

The subject of CCTV is far too wide and complex to answer such a generic question.  

Tell me

- The problem you are having.  (Neighbor giving you problems, worried about burglary)

- What activities you hope to capture on video  (Thefts, vandalism, pranks)

- Are the expected culprits likely to be known to you?  (employee theft = yes.   Burglary = no)

- Are you ok with running wiring?  (wireless cameras still need a power wire!)

- Is this a temporary or indefinite need?

The subject of CCTV is far too wide and complex to answer such a generic question.  

Tell me

- The problem you are having.  (Neighbor giving you problems, worried about burglary)

No problems yet. Just want to be prepared.. Burglary primarily 

- What activities you hope to capture on video  (Thefts, vandalism, pranks)

All the above   IR/NV cameras will be a requirement

- Are the expected culprits likely to be known to you?  (employee theft = yes.   Burglary = no)

dunno.

- Are you ok with running wiring?  (wireless cameras still need a power wire!)

yep, no worries there

- Is this a temporary or indefinite need?

permanent for the house. 

How many cameras?

I like the Aver line of hybrid DVRs - they'll take regular NTSC camera signals and/or IP cameras.  You can start with cheaper cameras and upgrade to IP cameras at your leisure.

4 channel:  Aver EH1004H - about $350 for the DVR.  My 16 channel model was about $1,600 a couple of years ago.

http://www.averusa.com/surveillance/products/hybrid-dvrs/eh1004h.asp

For the cameras I'd go with vandal domes unless you have some reason not to.  They run about $200 each for decent ones. Decent bullet cameras run about $120 each.

Get enough RG59 siamese cable to run all of your channels.  Get a power supply to supply the cameras, don't rely on ac adapters at the camera.  A DVR and central camera power supply can be plugged into a UPS and keep your system running even during a power outage.  The power supply should run about $50.

You'll need sundries too, like BNC connectors and possibly DC connectors, depending on camera.

Need a monitor too, and a mouse/keyboard, to interact with the DVR.

• 2 weeks later...

I think I might pursue the Lorex branded Hikvision system @ Costco for $999:

http://www.costco.com/Lorex-8-Channel-Full-HD-Real-Time-PoE-NVR-Security-System-with-2TB-Hard-Drive-and-6-1080p-Cameras.product.100048576.html

The camera's are rebranded Hikvision DS-2CD2032 bullets and 2 domes. 1080P/3MP, PoE, Good IR and a great image for the price. This averages out to $166 per camera, so you are essentially getting the NVR for free.

Picture image, PoE, decent IR and more importantly, these cameras can ftp images to your NAS. I'm not locked into running with the included NVR. Big PLUS for me, as I plan to explore BlueIris and I want to utilize my existing storage space.

There are better, more expensive options available but I think these will serve my purpose. Running a total of ONE cable to each camera is tits too.