Ebr 1190rx Almost Here!!

everoblivion2005

So i searched through the posts and didn't see any thing on the news swirling around for EBR's 1190RX.  As many of you probably know Hero (EBR's race team partner) recently bought 49.2% of EBR for $25 million.  The only thing that has been holding EBR back is lack of capitol to get large scale production off the ground... well that's not really an issue any more.  From the EBR FB page there have been several pictures posted "going's on" up in WI.  The first one released was this one:557037_10151563838357496_741172106_n.jpg

The post just said something to the effect of "lots of testing going on".  I looked at this and at first just saw the 1190RS then was like..... is that a back seat?? and wait... those are defiantly +1 pegs and thats not an Ohlins rear shock...... HOLY CRAP!!!!!!!!!

Then they posted this little teaser

718693.jpg

That is defiantly not the double stacked RS headlight assembly.  SO i think it is safe to say I will be purchasing a non-$40K EBR here very soon.

Additional little tit bits of info EBR posted this in reply to a question about the motor "This is an EBR engine, not Rotax. We are building them in East Troy!".

Also (and this may just be Rumor Mill BS) the price is supposed to be sub $19K

GO ERIK!!! GO EBR!!! GO Geoff May!!!

• 1 month later...

Wow, time has been flying by. Maybe a couple more teasers on RX coming soon...

Anyhow, the race truck is on the way to New Jersey. Last chance this year on the East Coast to see Geoff, Aaaron and the Team Hero and Team AMSOIL/Hero 1190RS bikes in the AMA Superbike action. We have a few more HP, and the advanced electronics with traction control seems to be working, so it should be exciting!

We really want all our fans in the area to come and support us! New Jersey Motorsports Park in Millville NJ. Erik will be there, and some of the Hero partners. So please come, cheer for us, and thank our partners! We couldn't have made it without all of you, so come celebrate on Sat the 14th and Sunday the 15th!

-ERIK BUELL RACING, FACEBOOK
September 11, 2013, 7:03 pm

SO at least thats confirmed that it is the upcoming production RX.  Can't wait for the new pics!

They had the street version at indy motogp....

turn signals lightd and all plated for WI

Right but the $40000 1190RS can be bought with all street req's and that was the bike at Indy.  The RS can come with fiber Glass panels or for extra you can get the carbon edition with all CF body work.  It comes with Ohlins shocks front and rear, magnesium wheels, titanium exhaust, and everything that you would put on an R1 to make it a $40000 bike.

THIS bike is a brand new one from EBR that has not been shown anywhere and will be outfitted like a normal street bike with nice, but not premium parts, and will be competing in pricing with the R1 and the likes.

I wish him well but have no confidence in a high performance engine's durability unless built by experts with a lot of experience. I would need a lot more information on the history of the firm that is designing and building the engine. The rest if the bike isn't as much of a worry.

Edited by turnone

I wish him well but have no confidence in a high performance engine's durability unless built by experts with a lot of experience. I would need a lot more information on the history of the firm that is designing and building the engine. The rest if the bike isn't as much of a worry.

Lol it was built by Rotax. I trust the Austrians and Canadians just as just as I trust the Japanese. :)

Lol it was built by Rotax. I trust the Austrians and Canadians just as just as I trust the Japanese. :)

If you read the first post, it states that the engine is not a rotax, but infact an EBR racing .

Additional little tit bits of info EBR posted this in reply to a question about the motor "This is an EBR engine, not Rotax. We are building them in East Troy

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

If you read the first post, it states that the engine is not a rotax, but infact an EBR racing .

Additional little tit bits of info EBR posted this in reply to a question about the motor "This is an EBR engine, not Rotax. We are building them in East Troy

The motors came from rotax. Erik Buell Racing then built them to his needs.

Kind of like saying an engine in an AMG Mercedes isn't from Mercedes. It is it's just built to the T

Or saying the engine's in SVT Fords aren't Ford engines.

or saying anyone who builds an engine in their garage using after market parts built their own engine.

Dude, please refrain from speaking out before finding out the facts.  Not being mean, but the Indy comment and now the Rotax comment are both strikes...  The motor was a Rotax used in the previous design and was a platform by which they built the current engine, but it is NOT a Rotax.

That being said and one that has physically seen the build process and the R&D department in WI, I can say that the current motor is VERY much hand built and put together.  The heads, pistons, etc are all matched up and measured and made certain to be as good as possible.

Of course, the issue with the current powerplant is that it is a race motor.  Plain and simple.  It requires a LOT of servicing to be maintained.  A guy buying an RS that wants to track or race is going to have a big dollar amount in maintaining the motor under the required intervals.

But, the regular or RX version will incorporate an apparently "softer" version that will not need to be as highly maintained which is important.  Not sure the changes and from what I understand, the motors will still be assembled in WI.  But that was a year ago when I had been there talking with Erik.

Comparing the motors from the 1125R to the EBR 1190RS

The Buell 1125R mill was designed by BMC, manufactured and assembled by Rotax.  After HD pulled the rug out from under BMC there were still lots of unused 1125R motors and parts leftover. 

The 1190 motor was designed by EBR an used a few of the same parts from the Rotax built Buell 1125R, like the lower casting.  This was a comment from EBR when the 1190RS made it's debut "The engine has some parts in common, but the crankshaft, rods, pistons, rings, pins, cylinders, heads, valves, cams, charging system, clutch, etc. are different."

Lots of people have assumed that the 1190RX will use a more streetable version of the 1190RS race motor.  We should know for sure in October.

Edited by Tpoppa

I would venture a guess that the motor is designed and assembled by EBR, but the pieces are actually made a known engine manufacturer.    

This.  The heads for example are designed and sorted by EBR.  They then have a partner make the heads and then are sent back to WI.  At that point, they machine and "build" them to spec and what they need.  Essentially, yes.  Same with the other engine components.  I believe that they do the piston and rods also the same way...  The rods are Corrillo, I believe.

Other than it being completely wasted on the street, I'd have no issues running a bike built by EBR.. even with the hopped up engine. I bet that bastard is a hoot to ride.

Hopefully, EBR has enough success with the 1190 line to spawn some other EBR offerings. 

In one of the interviews with Erik after Buell was shutdown by Ass-less-chaps incorporated, he mentioned that there were plans to build a Buell middleweight triple.  I won't be buying a Superbike, but an EBR middleweight or sport tourer would be very interesting. 

• Upvote 1

^^

I enjoyed both of my XB9s.  The handling was stellar...but I never really realized what a turd that motor was until I got my Gladius.

I've had many bikes that were  way faster, but the Gladius is in the same power category as an XB9.  The Gladius motor has less torque and hp, but it just feels faster.  It loves to rev and has a wider range of useable power.  If I rode the XBs like I ride the Gladius, they would have grenaded long ago. 

• Upvote 1

The Fact that people enjoyed riding the XB's is a testament to Erik's ingenuity despite Hardly's overbearing and uneducated requirements of him.

Also as far the prospect of other bikes go (as long as this 1190 line does well) is promising.  Erik has patented a Hybrid Bike that works more like like a proper hybrid (similar to the Chevy Volt) than designs before.  The rev range of the engine in the patent is actually slightly variable to meet the demands of the battery system depending on load.  To increase efficiency the rev range is most likely going to be limited to 4000 rpms but that it a small enough band to tune in ridiculous efficiency numbers but also lower the number of batteries needed to flatten the power.  Awesome design and I hope to see it some day.

As far as the Rotax motor goes, yes the motor is the Rotax design and parts are sourced (just like practically any engine/car/anything) but then machined, assembled and tested in Troy WI.  As far as the reliability of the RS motor in street clothes running pump 91 I really haven't heard of any reliability issues and after speaking with Geoff at Mid Ohio he stated that the maintenance on the engine is pretty much limited to tuning it into the track needs so to be honest I do not foresee to many changes with the stock engine between the RS and RX.

Speaking of Rotax...anyone notice the new 2014 Can Am Spyder no longer uses the 990 Rotax Twin that was previously used by Aprilia?  It uses a Rotax 1330 Triple that doesn't require any valve adjustments.  I wonder if that motor will find it's way onto 2 wheels?  Seems ideal for a ST. 

Speaking of Rotax...anyone notice the new 2014 Can Am Spyder no longer uses the 990 Rotax Twin that was previously used by Aprilia? It uses a Rotax 1330 Triple that doesn't require any valve adjustments. I wonder if that motor will find it's way onto 2 wheels? Seems ideal for a ST.

Hell yea! With Ulysses style head lights on a naked/cafe style bike.

The Fact that people enjoyed riding the XB's is a testament to Erik's ingenuity despite Hardly's overbearing and uneducated requirements of him.

Also as far the prospect of other bikes go (as long as this 1190 line does well) is promising.  Erik has patented a Hybrid Bike that works more like like a proper hybrid (similar to the Chevy Volt) than designs before.  The rev range of the engine in the patent is actually slightly variable to meet the demands of the battery system depending on load.  To increase efficiency the rev range is most likely going to be limited to 4000 rpms but that it a small enough band to tune in ridiculous efficiency numbers but also lower the number of batteries needed to flatten the power.  Awesome design and I hope to see it some day.

As far as the Rotax motor goes, yes the motor is the Rotax design and parts are sourced (just like practically any engine/car/anything) but then machined, assembled and tested in Troy WI.  As far as the reliability of the RS motor in street clothes running pump 91 I really haven't heard of any reliability issues and after speaking with Geoff at Mid Ohio he stated that the maintenance on the engine is pretty much limited to tuning it into the track needs so to be honest I do not foresee to many changes with the stock engine between the RS and RX.

what I was told by reliable sources is that the motor should be refreshed after every race weekend...

what I was told by reliable sources is that the motor should be refreshed after every race weekend..

Well... Yes, i guess I made it sound like that didn't need to happen.  Standard race motor maintenance though just like any other.  Your previous post made it sound however that it needed more maintenance than any other race motor that has just been throttled and abused for two days straight.