Ducati 899

Hoblick

It'll flop.

And those that do sell to the lickers of Italian cocks, will be broken down on the side of the road waiting for AAA

Or they will melt into the parking lot at Starbucks on a hot August day.

Edited by zx3vfr

im a little sad it does have a single side swing arm but overall looks just like a big pani... we'll see what all feat. it will have in November.. im sure that's the base model they will do an S or a Corse with other parts. to keep the typical duc thing going...
and ZX ducs don't break down like they used to ..  ducati is slowly switching to  more reliable means in their bikes.. such as self adjusting cam tensioners like the japs. and wet clutches... I forget who did a long term test on the pani from 2012 but they have 114k on theirs and have only done the  normal  stuff and the 1000 and 12k services

I'm old school. I like the trellis frame, single sided swing arm, under seat exhaust and dry clutch.  I just can't help but think they will go back but I guess we will see.

Regardless, my next bike will probably be a more comfy Streetfighter ;)

Mary

I want a monster model with that engine.

140+ hp and comfortable ergonomics? Yes please.

My husband has a Monster S4RS that is a really wicked bike. I think you'd like that. There are some rumors about a higher HP Monster coming but nothing substantial yet.

Mary

It'll flop.

And those that do sell to the lickers of Italian cocks, will be broken down on the side of the road waiting for AAA

Or they will melt into the parking lot at Starbucks on a hot August day.

Wow...  You sound fairly bitter or maybe even jealous...  How many Ducatis have you ridden or how many friends do you know that have them and have such issues?  I think you may need to rethink your comments, dude...  Several happy Ducati owners out there...

Okay, Brian.  You're the man in the know...lets have some scoop on the 899.  I've always like the 848 and love the Pani' but I'd need some real incentive to off my gixxer for a smaller 899.

What I know is that if I tell anyone what I know, I have to kill them and that involves a lot of legal issues...  So, it is easier for me to keep quiet and watch the fun of everyone guessing like they know everything...  It's sooooooo entertaining...

I cannot comment on anything and Ducati constantly is doing R&D on several machines that come and go and some make it, others never see the light of day.  Some take years and some are quick to get to market.  

If Ducati leaves the desmodrimic valvetrain in the past and opts for a "more reliable" chain driven cam system, I will probably just buy another Japanese make. At that point, everything that makes it special and unique is gone. Might as well choose the cheaper cookie cutter, if that's what you're left with.

I'm not saying the Pani isn't an amazing machine. I'm sure it's flat-out riding bliss, in the truest sense. I'm just not enamoured with all that stuff. I like the fact that my bike is simple. It's just right in all the smart places. It's just a motorcycle. It's not a race bike. It's not a two-wheeled rocket. It's just a motorcycle. One that promotes proper scrutiny and regular maintenance. I have no problem working on multiple brands. I enjoy most all of them. I just especially like the 2-valve platform.

However, this thread is about the new Panigale. I didn't know how I felt about the 1199 until i saw one in person. I love, love, love the Panigale. I don't want to ride one, but I like looking at one. This one should bring about the same feeling.

The 1199 is sooooo amazing, dude.  The technology is amazing, the soul is still there and while you can argue it is very Japanese in the way it is built, there are LOADS of things that separate it from the Japanese products.  The Big 4 aren't going to micro polish rods and internal components.  They are not going to DLC coat things like Ducati does in the shift forks, etc.  Yes, it isn't the older technology, but advances are something that always occurs.  Otherwise, we'd still be air cooled everything...  Technology advances and never usually retracts.

The idea for the 1199 was to be sexy like Ducati is.  Check.  It is supposed to bridge the gap in performance to the Japanese liter bikes.  Check.  It is to retain the soul of Ducati.  It does in spades.  Listen to the bike ridden in anger.  Hell, listen to one at speed bone stock.  It isn't a whieezer in-line with no soul.  The only bike I think that has a soul that has a Japanese label on it is the R1.  The cross plane crank makes the bike sound glorious.  But alas, it under performs.  The 1199 has performance and sounds wicked.  You know one when it is out there...

I understand the whole idea of sticking to one's roots.  But again, the idea that we should stick with the old days of having to disassemble half the motor to do a major service needs to be forgotten.  We at Ducati still have people that believe that the bikes are expensive to work on, that they are hard to work on and that they need major service WAY quicker than the Japanese product.  15k for major service on the 1199?  Awesome.  And, the leap from the 1198 to the 1199 is tremendous.  Insane in fact.  The 1199 made every twin antiquated in a matter of a year.  The levels of performance, the style and the technology blows everything out there away that came prior.  It was less progression and more GINORMOUS of a leap.

OK. I'll bite. If the Pani is such a fine piece of a... machinery, explain WSBK 2013 stats to me?  I get needing to develop a new bike but this is pretty pitiful. And it's not the rider because Checa was doing alright on the old bike. The 1098 out of the box worked pretty darn well for being such a leap away from the 1199.

http://www.worldsbk.com/en/season/stats.html

OK. I'll bite. If the Pani is such a fine piece of a... machinery, explain WSBK 2013 stats to me?  I get needing to develop a new bike but this is pretty pitiful. And it's not the rider because Checa was doing alright on the old bike. The 1098 out of the box worked pretty darn well for being such a leap away from the 1199.

He did way better when they pulled the restrictions off of the pani that were in place from the previous model.

Ahhhh...  Because a bike's performance and level it relates to the other brands is solely based on WSBK racing?  The Kawi was a pile of shit when it first came.  It now has most the lap records and most number of poles this year.  So, it must be the best bike evar!

The reality is that Checa set pole the first race of the year.  He also had a significant crash on the bike the same weekend.  That crash has him still recovering.  However, he did well in Russia and qualified 2nd in Silverstone.  Also, we have a limited throttle body size still even though I think this next round, that has been lifted.  Watch the races closely and you will see he gets hammered on the straights.

The young rookie has actually done really well on the WSBK.

What you REALLY need to look at and look at bikes that are MUCH closer to OEM specs - WSBK has literally almost nothing in relationship to what you get OEM - is the World Superstock races.  Ducati is a top contender and has several top finishes.  The bikes are actually pulling higher trap speeds than the WSBK because of the throttle bodies are not restricted.

The point is simple.  Racing is a place to develop.  It is also a place to try and utilize R&D.  The first year has been a challenge, but WSS is showing how good the bike is.  You shouldn't really compare a brand or motorcycle in racing to that of how good it is as a street bike.  Otherwise, you should ride a Honda because it is winning the MotoGP...

The bike is really good and in the shoot outs, it does rather well.  Until you ride one, you only have the comic books to rely on and their choices are really silly at times.  But if you'd ride one, compare it to a 1098/1198, you'd quickly see the difference and the advancement.  The handling alone is enough to feel the difference and then add the fact that the bike has a ton more HP and you see where I am coming from.

Everyone should buy R1s because Josh Hayes is spanking ass on his...   :crazy:

What I know is that if I tell anyone what I know, I have to kill them and that involves a lot of legal issues...  So, it is easier for me to keep quiet and watch the fun of everyone guessing like they know everything...  It's sooooooo entertaining...

I cannot comment on anything and Ducati constantly is doing R&D on several machines that come and go and some make it, others never see the light of day.  Some take years and some are quick to get to market.  

You're lameness has been extended to even greater heights with that crappy post.

I hereby banish you to the OR pit of bullshit!  There you will stay until you can provide some worthwhile information on the products you push on us!

:D

Wow... You sound fairly bitter or maybe even jealous... How many Ducatis have you ridden or how many friends do you know that have them and have such issues? I think you may need to rethink your comments, dude... Several happy Ducati owners out there...

I've ridden several from a sort classic of some sorts to a monster, a multitool and a 848 evo.

I just don't get the whole idea of a dry clutch. If I want a dry clutch I get in my focus.

I just find them to be spartan and lacking in refinement of the jap bikes.

I almost got a monster 696 or what ever the fudge it is but I got the ninja 650 instead, similar horsepower and a liquid cooled engine.. A liquid cooled engine, how about that

Edited by zx3vfr

Let's not kid ourselves. Everyone knows they're junk. Over-priced, over-weight, under-powered junk. If Harley made fairings, you would be hard-pressed to tell the difference. As a matter of scientific fact, the Buell XB12R is a superior machine, in almost every regard...but everyone knows Ducati puts more emphasis on aesthetic appeal versus actual function and performance. Don't believe me? Just look at the sexy sonuvabitch in my garage. That bike is almost a direct descendent of an Electrolux vacuum cleaner. You won't get those styling ques from any of the Japanese or American options. No, Sir. Efficiency, performance and value is what they tout. Form/Function is how we Ducatisti like to roll. I'm just hoping they finally get on par with Harley an start offering handlebar mounted cup holders. It's so hard to keep from spilling my "triple grande soy caramel mocha" when I have to shift gears.

Oooooh.....maybe an automatic transmission, like the FJR? That would be something I would totally buy.

p

Buell Blast out styles a Italian bike any day..

I've ridden several from a sort classic of some sorts to a monster, a multitool and a 848 evo.

I just don't get the whole idea of a dry clutch. If I want a dry clutch I get in my focus.

I just find them to be spartan and lacking in refinement of the jap bikes.

I almost got a monster 696 or what ever the fudge it is but I got the ninja 650 instead, similar horsepower and a liquid cooled engine.. A liquid cooled engine, how about that

First of all, if you ride the 848 EVO, you'd notice a fairly significant thing that is opposite to what you're saying about a dry clutch. Also as seen on every model we produce now.

As for similar HP, again not sure you're on the same planet. 80 vs 60 is a big difference and considering parallel vs v-twin you will have more torque in the Duc.

I'd be really careful acting like you know the Ducati line and have experience in riding them. It's awesome you have a 650r, but don't slam something you don't know much about.