Ducati 899

Hoblick

I'm not suggesting all Ducs should be air-cooled 2-valvers. I just think it'd be a shame to drop that platform, altogether. Maybe I'm way off base. I don't sell motorcycles. I just know what I like. My 900SS makes more than enough giggle for me. If I rode faster or dipped my toes in the water of MotoSeries....maybe I'd appreciate something like a BabyPani. Just seems like a lot of bike to have for a trip to/from WV a few times a year. This is solely based on my own needs in a bike.

Couldn't agree more.  Rumor has it the next iteration of the monster will be liquid-cooled and getting a SBK powerplant.  Disappointing if it does. The 2V air-cooled just has it's own character and sound that is unique.  More than enough power/torque to make most happy.

http://www.cycleworld.com/2013/07/03/next-generation-ducati-monster-1198-spied-photos/

As far as this 899, hopefully they revamp the styling a bit.  The 848 evo was a much better looking bike.

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/10/2013-Ducat-Superbike-848-EVO-Corse-SE-04.jpg

Again, if you understand the graph, the torque comes on sooner with the V.  The power also.  The feel from that is that the Monster is stronger.  Which it is even on the graph.  But, the difference in TOTAL PEAK NUMBERS isn't going to be felt.  You won't feel 2 hp or 2 ft/tq.  But, you will feel the difference when they hit and come on.  Like the 1199 vs. a GSXR1000, BMW 1000RR, etc.  The 1199 has it's torque come early and HP starts sooner.  However, they gain legs in the 8-9k range and start pulling away.  Meaning, you can feel the difference in the areas where the bike is stronger and not so much.  I also had the numbers on the M696 and had a vague knowledge off the top of my head on the 650r.  I was not close on the difference, but was in terms of when it hit and seat of the pants feel.  If that makes sense.

This is so true and something that is so overlooked.  Peak HP seems like a great comparison, but doesn't tell how the bike rides.  I was very nervous ditching my 2004 R6 with it's ~120ish peak crank HP for a ~100hp peak crank HP Monster 1100.  You've really gotta look at the performance curves to see how the "butt dyno" will respond.  Power as you pull off the stop light is about double in the Monster and RPM to RPM  is 20-30HP higher until the rev limiter.  Makes a big difference in how you feel riding the bike. I don't miss those 20 peak HP.

Edited by smashweights

• 3 weeks later...