First Track Day- Sport Bike Track Time- Putnam Park

oldschoolsdime92

I did my first track day this weekend.Let me start first with great praise to STT. Those folks were awesome. The classroom end of things was very informative.I had no idea what I was doing, or what I was getting into. All I knew was that I'd signed up to ride on a race track(which was more badass than I ever expected).They walked you through everything. They answered questions no matter how stupid it may have sounded. They were great. The riding coachs were incredible. I learned more from these guys in a day, than I have in 5 years on the street. 

When we went out for our first session, I put myself in the slowest novice group I could. I wanted to learn everything I could, and I also didn't want to get myself in over my head. This was a good move, and a bad move all in one. My group consisted of hellmutt on his zx1400, snot on her 300 ninja, an older gentlemen on an fz6, and myself on my fz1. Mr. FZ6 is where the issues began. We hit the track at a mere crawl. Showing us the race line, different body positioning, and the plan to step up the pace as we went. The first two laps, were mellow maybe 40 mph tops. The coach decided to pick up the pace a notch on the third lap, and mr. Fz6 blew corner 7. Took it out in the grass almost dumped it. Coach dropped the pace down slower than our first lap after this. We went back to the classroom, and we discussed fz6's happenings. Discussed target fixation, looking through the turn, holding your line, all the typical stuff. I thought we had mr. fz6 straight. 

Session 2- Stepped up pace a notch, fz6 blew 7 again. pace dropped down back slower than the first lap of the first session. Had the same discussions with him on what to do, to fix his issue.

Session 3-He blew the corner AGAIN! I'm far from pro, and far from a good rider. My videos will show you that in a few minutes.

Now here is where I had an issue. We had run the first three sessions at 25-40 mph pretty much. Afternoon is pretty much free game. No passing in the corners. No closer than 6 foot. Raise hell. be safe. Sensory overload set in. 

I got out on the track trying to run a decent pace, but was totally unable too, Alot of it was due to mentally holding myself back, but the rest of it was due to running such a slow pace all morning and not gradually stepping it up. I felt like I missed out on that end of things in the learning process. I learned a ton as I said, and had a blast. I was slow, couldn't maintain a good line, I just got very frustrated with fz6 guy, I had a few issues with the same corner as well. At the end of the day ( go pro died so I didn't get my last session) I was very happy with myself. 

I wasn't fast, I had terrible lines, I didn't do any knee dragging or any good passing( everyone passed me) :lol: But I learned a ton, had the best time I've ever had on a motorcycle in my entire life, and I can't wait to go back again, and improve upon what I learned. Heres the videos. Criticize away, give me some food for thought, things to try, or whatever else you wanna throw in! I can't wait to hit the track again.

Edited by oldschoolsdime92
  • Upvote 4

I know that bike in front of you... nothing like seeing yourself lapped on 2 different videos from different angles.

I will add the last few laps in the morning the speed did pick up (fz6 was not with us).

Nothing I can critique you on bro that doesn't apply to me as well. I had some bad lines, poor body postion, and a slight grass excursion down the front straight at over 140mph that definitely put things in slow motion for a second.....all I thought was sandtrap, ambulance, and busted bike :D

I'm not doing too bad in your 2nd vid after I passed ya ( 4:45ish ) and even pulled a gap while you got hung up in traffic, but a lap or 2 later you were right on my six again to the end. Your cornering speed is better than mine, which it should be since your FZ is setup way better with the Ohlins/Penske suspension AND you're considerably lighter than me. If it wasn't for my bikes brute power, I'd have been way back in the pack.

Putnam is an easy track to learn on and the long, forgiving turns make it a fun ride with little worries of forgetting track position or what's next. Would like to ride it again next year.

Oh, and just for the record.....I don't feel nearly as fat as I look :lol:

I can't wait to see your footage, to see myself.

I downloaded the last 2 sessions to the laptop, and have been trying to edit them since 4pm.....I'm just one more mouse click away from throwing a damn tantrum. I'd imported/converted both files to mp4, cropped out the boring beginning bs waiting to start the session, and the editing program either cuts the sound or speeds up the video for some dumb reason. I wipe them back off, double check the settings, reconvert, and same thing? Its GoPro's app so I dont know where i'm going wrong. Takes about an hour to import/convert both vids, and tried it 3 times now. May have to call in sick tomorrow just so I can upload both vids to YouTube! :lol:

• Upvote 1

Sounds like you all had a good day. T7 takes prisoners all the time so don't feel to bad if you went agri there. As another sorry fellow, I think I went off there at least 3 times and once made it all the way to the tree line.

Generally with STT and others, you can jump up or back on the groups if you ask the CRs. No need to feel frustrated and it is a good way to get a feel for the place.

Silly Putty is a fun track but I think it took me at least 5-6 trips there before I finally came to terms with T7 and T8. And there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Conrats on your new addiction.

Our instructers did work with us one on one in the afternoon. I lost my line and my instructor got in front of me and tapped the tail for me to follow. He got me back to my line and around the track on a couple of occasions. I was impressed how much they actually watched us and helped.

My bike will need raised back up next time. I was surprised the stock tires did so well too.

Edited by snot

I forgot to toast big props to the whole STT org, our instructor ( sorry, his name eludes me but he's Chi-town PD ), Stuart ( who led us in a session while our instructor had bike issues ) and to Granda080 for lending me his GoPro since mine was forgotten at home, and for helping us out setting up/between sessions/tearing down/and for general support.

Turn 7 never bit any of us except for our friendly FZ6 4th wheel who was "trying" but just wasn't getting it. Blown lines and such will probably happen the first visit to any track, the main thing is that we all kept it on 2.

Oldschool, I will keep trying to dump/edit the vids, there's several laps of you in there. Just hate to try and upload them on WiFi as it takes forever as is.

Watching them last night I did manage avg laptimes about 1:38-1:39, so my sub 2 minute goal was definitely met.....I wasn't sure what to expect out of my flying couch and was ecstatic I was as fast as I was considering the weight ( me AND the bike ) and sad suspension setup.

How'd everyone else fair timewise?

What you experienced is the distinct disadvantage to group teaching. One rider can hold back te rest.

Glad you had fun anyway.

Ad where can one get one on one teaching? After yesterday I'm pretty sure that's what I'm in need of.

NoBama 2012

most orgs run their "I" group with the "ask for help and you'll get it" approach.

NESBA doesn't divide their "B" group into sub-groups, so while you may get less attention overall, you never spend any time waiting on a slower rider, or struggling to keep up with bigger bikes. This was a HUGE problem for me when I was still taking my 500 to the track. My STT group would blast by another group on the straight, and my bike couldn't accelerate quickly enough to follow.

But the bottom line is that you probably need more practice than instruction for a while. Feedback, but not scrutiny.

The basic concepts of track riding are pretty simple. Simple doesn't mean easy. Seat time is the only way to really improve.

• Upvote 1