First Track Day- Sport Bike Track Time- Putnam Park

oldschoolsdime92

i do like following the instructor the first few laps to get the line down.

A good tow can certainly be invaluable when you're not 100% confident on which way the track goes. 

But really, don't sweat the small stuff early on.  The "proper" race line feels somewhat unnatural when you're going 20+ seconds a lap slower than the track will allow.   That is in no way a slam on your pace.  I was never that great at Putnam, but just from being there a couple of times, I can remember getting frustrated with myself for over-braking for turn 1.  Because I was taking T1 slower than I should have been, I was ending up with 15 feet of track on my left-hand side.  Guess where that positioned me for turns 2 and 3?  Turning-in from mid-track instead of from the left edge like I should have been!

Anyway, the point I was attempting to make is that "the line" is (at least in part) dictated by how comfortable you are with your pace.   It can be hard to run the "fast" line at a less-than-fast pace.  Repetitions help immensely, and your skill-set (and pace) will improve to the point where the race line will be essential rather than aspirational. 

• Upvote 1

Hellmutt, I haven't the slightest idea how to edit stuff. I just upload it all and make the people work for it.

I've been fighting with the GoPro app for hours yesterday and today.  Sad, because all I really want to do is crop out the beginning boredom of getting to the grid and sitting until the session starts.  Another thing I don't understand is the file size increases by almost a gig on each video AFTER I chop 5 minutes of time off of each, so apparently converting to an AVI file type really blows up the file size?  

I may just dump them as is and let the public sift past the BS :dunno:

Thanks redkow I value the in put and you opinions. I haven't been riding long (3 full seasons). So I have a lot turn learn and am willing to learn. I fell in love with riding on the track. My tires didn't like it much, but for stock they did very well.

how often do you think you'll be able to get to the track?

Tires are often cheap insurance, but street tires are pretty amazing these days. I used to race in Q2's before switching to Michelin DOT's.  The street tires impressed the he'll out of me. 

how often do you think you'll be able to get to the track?

Tires are often cheap insurance, but street tires are pretty amazing these days. I used to race in Q2's before switching to Michelin DOT's.  The street tires impressed the he'll out of me. 

She's riding on the OEM IRC's but they did better than I'd expected for her, but we plan to invest in much better tires after these are thrashed.  Trackdays will hopefully become more abundant now that the boss has the bug ;), but probably still only manage a few each season if we can

Edited by Hellmutt

I was impressed withe the IRC and how well the bike did. Finding the size will be difficult 140/70 on rear.

I realized within the first few sessions I need to raise it in order to get proper lean.

Edited by snot

Hmmm... There is an "everything you need to know about racing a 250" thread on the WERA board. I'm sure that can tell you what the best rear tire option is.

My guess is that they're pinching 150's or 160's onto the rim.

• Upvote 1

I'd be willing to squeeze a 150 on her bike, but 160 just seems a bit too much. Plus the additional tire height would make raising the bike even taller for her. Rearsets and a little lift would probably suffice for plenty of ground clearance with some handling improvement.

She touched a toe down now and then, plus she pulled the peg feelers to help lean a bit more too....but she never scraped any bodywork.

Hmmm... There is an "everything you need to know about racing a 250" thread on the WERA board. I'm sure that can tell you what the best rear tire option is.

My guess is that they're pinching 150's or 160's onto the rim.

I will look into this, there is also a guy in cleveland on another forum that goes to Mid Ohio and a few other tracks.

Be sure to watch for the Ducati Indy/Commonwealth days at Putnam.

No classroom but they do run three groups and it does provide you with an opportunity to gain seat time. Control Riders are present and willing to help if asked.

No shortage of opportunities to dispose of disposable income.

I've been fighting with the GoPro app for hours yesterday and today.  Sad, because all I really want to do is crop out the beginning boredom of getting to the grid and sitting until the session starts.  Another thing I don't understand is the file size increases by almost a gig on each video AFTER I chop 5 minutes of time off of each, so apparently converting to an AVI file type really blows up the file size?  

I may just dump them as is and let the public sift past the BS :dunno:

If you haven't already uploaded the full video, I can edit the video for you

If you haven't already uploaded the full video, I can edit the video for you

Thanx for the offer Derek, but granda080 already put one up for me and working on the other.....in fact, here is one from my bike. Once we're on the grid, Oldschool is on the left and snot on the right.

• Upvote 1

Here's my last session of the day ( thanx again Andy ), my corner speed had picked up some as well as my drive onto the front straight ( most laps ) so I actually got to hit 4th gear for a second or 2, but linework is still needing some attention. I caught up to Streetfighterkz about 14:25, he was doing well on the ol kawazuki :D

Edited by Hellmutt
  • Upvote 1