Why Do People Line Up For The Iphones?

madcat6183

Serious question, why were there people camping outside of Verizon today at 7:40 am, and apparently every cell phone store had them?  I mean I got it with the first IPhone, it was totally different and new.  But now, I don't.  I know my uncle preorders or whatever every one right away, or gets one somehow, but I don't think he's ever done the campout part or anything like that.  If he has I want to kick him in his nuts, but anyways.

I Just do not understand it, don't people have better things to do, like sleep, eat, watch their dog take a crap? 

• Upvote 1

I kind of understand the line that occurred with the first iPhone because it was brand new and (despite my dislike of apple products) groundbreaking.  The first iPhone set the standard but these other releases are sticking with Apple's up(/staythesame)grade policy and haven't really improved much.  Processor specs, memory, features, screen size, ergonomics, and that overrated retina display haven't changed much over the years.  Now that is seen as a positive to many iPhone users who seem to be a little Neophobic but to me it has caused the iPhone to fall WAY behind the curve compared to Samsung, Google and HTC.

Basically the Samsung commercial showing the iPhone line and people excited that the Head phone jack was in a different spot was pretty accurate to the people that are probably in line.

I kind of understand the line that occurred with the first iPhone because it was brand new and (despite my dislike of apple products) groundbreaking.  The first iPhone set the standard but these other releases are sticking with Apple's up(/staythesame)grade policy and haven't really improved much.  Processor specs, memory, features, screen size, ergonomics, and that overrated retina display haven't changed much over the years.  Now that is seen as a positive to many iPhone users who seem to be a little Neophobic but to me it has caused the iPhone to fall WAY behind the curve compared to Samsung, Google and HTC.

Basically the Samsung commercial showing the iPhone line and people excited that the Head phone jack was in a different spot was pretty accurate to the people that are probably in line.

THIS...

The iphone hasn't done anything "first" or "best" since it's initial release... Which is disappointing... I want to see a REAL rivalry. I want apple to have features that I can envy.

I've had my 4 over 2 years and don't have a serious hankering to replace it.  Yeah, it can be glitchy at times - mostly with Sync in my truck - but is otherwise a good phone for my needs.  

When Sprint has finally turned on their LTE network nationwide, then and only then will I seriously consider getting a 5S.

The comments that I have heard from several Apple fans that they're more compatible because they're developing for a single hardware platform is BS.  The iPhone 5 (I'm guess the 5s and 5c as well) are not listed as compatible with the Chevy Mylink (Cadillac Cue, and whatever the other divisions are calling it) but the 3 through 4s is.  Most of the time the 5 will work, but it's not consistent.  The Android compatibility is HUGE.

The comments that I have heard from several Apple fans that they're more compatible because they're developing for a single hardware platform is BS.  The iPhone 5 (I'm guess the 5s and 5c as well) are not listed as compatible with the Chevy Mylink (Cadillac Cue, and whatever the other divisions are calling it) but the 3 through 4s is.  Most of the time the 5 will work, but it's not consistent.  The Android compatibility is HUGE.

Android compatibility is a problem...

Because they don't have control over every piece of hardware, application developers have trouble getting their applications to work across platforms. Go look at any number of apps in the "play" store, and you'll see comments "doesn't work with phone X or phone Y, glitchy with phone Z, freezes constantly on phone A and B" Most applications are pretty universal, but there are exceptions to many...

if you go to the apple store, you'll find MUCH MUCH less of those types of comments, if ti works on iphone 4 it works on iphone 5 and so on.

Android compatibility is a problem...

Because they don't have control over every piece of hardware, application developers have trouble getting their applications to work across platforms. Go look at any number of apps in the "play" store, and you'll see comments "doesn't work with phone X or phone Y, glitchy with phone Z, freezes constantly on phone A and B" Most applications are pretty universal, but there are exceptions to many...

if you go to the apple store, you'll find MUCH MUCH less of those types of comments, if ti works on iphone 4 it works on iphone 5 and so on.

Yes that is a benefit of Apple devices is that you don't have to be the slightest bit tech educated to get a decent device that works exactly like your friends iPhone.  Also this is why I said that Samsung, Google and HTC have surpassed the iPhone.  A tech Un-educated person who picks up a crap touch phone that happens to have an Android OS instantly thinks all androids are horrible.  I really hate it when people compare Apple to Android rather than the Manufacturer to the Manufacturer. 

People do it because it makes them feel special and different for the 5 minutes until there are 10,000,000 people who have the exact same hardware.

You are not special.  You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake.  You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.  We're all part of the same compost heap.  We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world. 

This is your life and it is ending one minute at a time, so spend it camping out for a piece of hardware that will literally be shoved down your throat in advertisements until the next iteration comes out.

• Upvote 3

People do it because it makes them feel special and different for the 5 minutes until there are 10,000,000 people who have the exact same hardware.

You are not special.  You're not a beautiful and unique snowflake.  You're the same decaying organic matter as everything else.  We're all part of the same compost heap.  We're all singing, all dancing crap of the world. 

This is your life and it is ending one minute at a time, so spend it camping out for a piece of hardware that will literally be shoved down your throat in advertisements until the next iteration comes out.

rep added to you good sir.  I like the unique snowflake comment, cute.

Yes that is a benefit of Apple devices is that you don't have to be the slightest bit tech educated to get a decent device that works exactly like your friends iPhone.  Also this is why I said that Samsung, Google and HTC have surpassed the iPhone.  A tech Un-educated person who picks up a crap touch phone that happens to have an Android OS instantly thinks all androids are horrible.  I really hate it when people compare Apple to Android rather than the Manufacturer to the Manufacturer. 

Let me know when you don't have to reboot your phone because it freezes. Then I might consider checking out Android. My number one priority is a phone that works all the time. Apple wins that one hands down against everything else out there (smartphone wise anyways). Oh, and you could say I'm tech educated. 

http://www.chevrolet.com/mylink-bring-your-own-media.html

Sure looks like it's compatible to me. The only issue was the intermittent switching calls between MyLink and the phone when using bluetooth. This was fixed in iOS 6.1 quite a while ago (like beginning of the year I think). There's an issue with all iOS devices and audio over bluetooh on MyLink, but this is a MyLink issue. 

Let me know when you don't have to reboot your phone because it freezes. Then I might consider checking out Android. My number one priority is a phone that works all the time. Apple wins that one hands down against everything else out there (smartphone wise anyways). Oh, and you could say I'm tech educated. 

I'll give you "reboot less often" but again we're talking about software written for multiple platforms being expected to work flawlessly on all of them... "reboot never" was not MY iPhone experience...

I had the iphone 4 after my droid X2 debacle, and while it did work very consistently, I did have issues where it froze up and showed me the gray ghost apple screen, then I had to hard restart it, this happened maybe a half dozen times in the 9 months or so I used the phone as my primary.

My fiancee, took the 4 as her primary phone, and I upgraded to the droid 4 I have today.

after she dropped it and cracked the screen, she tossed a screen cover on it and continued using it until her upgrade came up and now uses the SGS3.

I use the cracked 4 as my occasional ipod, and I was planning on jailbreaking it to use it as a 32gig jump drive. (haven't gotten around to that yet)

But "never needed reboot" does not describe the experience I had.

Casper-  Do you have the 5?  I have this ever consistent issue where it goes from 4G to Edge and I have to turn on Airplane mode and back off to have it find 4G again  Does it in LTE areas where it goes LTE to 4G...  If in Edge, it will go to No Service and have to do the same thing...

It's getting WAY annoying.  I use it like you apparently where I need a phone daily as a life link between me and work.  This toggle issue is killing me.  Any ideas?

Casper-  Do you have the 5?  I have this ever consistent issue where it goes from 4G to Edge and I have to turn on Airplane mode and back off to have it find 4G again  Does it in LTE areas where it goes LTE to 4G...  If in Edge, it will go to No Service and have to do the same thing...

It's getting WAY annoying.  I use it like you apparently where I need a phone daily as a life link between me and work.  This toggle issue is killing me.  Any ideas?

I have a 4s. Never heard of such a problem. I'd check the macrumors.com forums. 

I'll give you "reboot less often" but again we're talking about software written for multiple platforms being expected to work flawlessly on all of them... "reboot never" was not MY iPhone experience...

I had the iphone 4 after my droid X2 debacle, and while it did work very consistently, I did have issues where it froze up and showed me the gray ghost apple screen, then I had to hard restart it, this happened maybe a half dozen times in the 9 months or so I used the phone as my primary.

My fiancee, took the 4 as her primary phone, and I upgraded to the droid 4 I have today.

after she dropped it and cracked the screen, she tossed a screen cover on it and continued using it until her upgrade came up and now uses the SGS3.

I use the cracked 4 as my occasional ipod, and I was planning on jailbreaking it to use it as a 32gig jump drive. (haven't gotten around to that yet)

But "never needed reboot" does not describe the experience I had.

No idea what the gray ghost apple screen is. Never seen it. My phone reboots when the battery dies. That's it. 

I have had my S3 for over a year and I have never been forced to reboot it.  I reboot it once a month on the first just as a maintenance thing but it has never frozen, bugged and every app i have downloaded works flawlessly.  I have actually converted quite a few Apple users from the non tech side of the office to Samsung just by letting them play with the phone.  Don't really have to worry about the other IT guys here since NONE of them have an iPhone....