Cheap And Easy Gas Tank For Tuning/balancing Carbs

Gixxus Christ!

Motion pro sells a plastic one for around $40. You can make one out of metal for less.

Its a dilemma as old as tuning: my gas tank is in the way. To adjust pilot screws or balance carbs/throttle bodies the engine must be running, and that requires distilled dinosaur juice. But that big gas tank prevents you from reaching things that need adjustments.

Here's what I did:

Myself and any drinker worth his salt has an aluminum jagermeister flask hanging around. If you don't, youre shit outta luck because they haven't offered them for a few years now, but you can use any old aluminum water bottle, or pretty much any metal container. The flasks are nice because the have a screw off cap with a caribeaner.

I had been wanting to use my flask for this for some time but was worried that the wall thickness was too small to support pipe threads, so I tried to find a bulkhead fitting but couldn't. So I said 'fuck it'.

Put your flask (or water bottle etc...) In a vice and drill a pilot hole about 1/8". Step that out to at least 3/8 and then finish with a 15/32.

Get a 1/4 ntp tap (home depot ain't got none, found mine at ace) while you're there, get a 1/4" ntp petcock or quarter-swing valve and a hose barb that fits the valve and your gas line.

De-burr the hole and run in your pipe tap to a few turns shy of mid-way, back out, tape the shit out of whatever is going in it and run it in snug. Fill with water and wait for leaks, if it drips, give the tap a few more spins. If it doesn't, you're golden pony boy.

Last step, take the lid and drill an 1/8" breather hole in it from the inside out, this lets air in so gas can get to your motor.

I built mine with two taps because I work on a lot of shit and not every bike has a single gas inlet.

Hope someone found this helpful.

IMAG0786.jpg

Edited by CrazySkullCrusher