Texting and driving bad, M'Kay

Sapphy

Not on the bike, but on my way to work today in my Wrangler.  I had the left turn arrow to turn East, a teen texting and driving going west ran the light at a high rate of speed.  I saw that she was not going to stop, so I did, I was a foot into the lane.  She bounced off my bumper and off the road and took out the post that holds the push to cross button.   Another foot or 2 into the lane and I would be at the hospital instead of home.  Really crappy way to start my day.  I will post pictures soon.

Edited by Sapphy

Doesn't the newest legislation basically make it illegal for the driver to even touch the phone?

I believe so, especially for teenagers. I think adults are allowed to take a call but still no texting.

Looks like the Jeep faired a little better in that accident. Look on the bright side, you could've been in that car and hit by a truck/SUV.

Edited by TRMN8TR

The campaign shouldn't be "don't text and drive" but 'don't text, facebook, email, surf the web and drive'. Or for short PUT DOWN THE FUCKING PHONE AND DRIVE.

it's not just phones, I've seen people reading the newspaper while driving, reading books...craziness.

I believe so, especially for teenagers. I think adults are allowed to take a call but still no texting.

Looks like the Jeep faired a little better in that accident. Look on the bright side, you could've been in that car and hit by a truck/SUV.

the problem is it's still a secondary offense, make it a primary offense, $5,000 fine for first time and the second time $10,000 dollar fine and 2 year suspension. I think drunk drivers are safer to be around than those using cell phones.

Did she admit to running the red, or is she claiming he had the green? Witnesses?

She confessed when we first got out of the car, not sure what she told the cop. A witness did stay to back me up. When leaving the cop told me she was at least getting "failure to abey a traffic signal"

Edited by Sapphy