Man Gets lots of Anal Probes for Traffic Stop

just_some_dude

I'd be interested to see if there was any other basis for the warrant (either legal or illegal) such as the man's prior history.   It seems to be a total waste of police time if nothing else.  Cops I know are not immune to stretching or breaking the rules on search and seizure if they truly believe they will find something - but the idea that they would go to these lengths without some other indication of the presence of drugs (even indications that do not qualify for a warrant, such an anonymous tip or prior convictions) seems at odds with what I have heard from officer.

As for the driver - sue anyone and everything.  He will win, and rightly so.  He should sue their asses.  Wait, that's insensitive.  He should sue the pants off them.  Wait, err, I mean sue the shit out of them.. Wait, errr..  You know what I mean,.

Edited by Scruit

More information from CNN:

http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/06/justice/new-mexico-search-lawsuit/index.html?hpt=ju_c2

Eckert voluntarily consented to a search of him and his vehicle, the affidavit states. A K-9 dog subsequently hit on a spot in the Dodge's driver's seat, though no drugs were found.

"Hildalgo County K-9 officer did inform me that he had dealt with Mr. Eckert on a previous case and stated that Mr. Eckert was known to insert drugs into his anal cavity and had been caught in Hidalgo County with drugs in his anal cavity," the affidavit said.

That explains why the cops wanted to search him.  Question is, is that enough for a judge to issue a warrant?

Also, I thought an x-ray was a pretty effective way to find drugs inside someone.  If the x-ray found nothing then why do a physical search?

Edited by Scruit