Federal Helmet Law Coming?

HeavyDuty

I wish we'd get rid of jaywalking laws too. Why should the government tell me where I can and can't cross the road? And what about if I want to put diesel in a red fuel can. Now they want to control the colors of my fuel cans? And damn it, I want to drive on the left side of the road too. Stupid laws telling me what I can and can't do.

I wish we'd get rid of jaywalking laws too. Why should the government tell me where I can and can't cross the road? And what about if I want to put diesel in a red fuel can. Now they want to control the colors of my fuel cans? And damn it, I want to drive on the left side of the road too. Stupid laws telling me what I can and can't do.

All my red cans say flammable liquid nothing about gasoline. Plus the cans have almost tripped in price so I'm putting whatever the he'll I want in them. I always choose to wear a helmet but not always a seat belt. I refer to my seat belt as a suicide belt

all excellent points, especially the last one.  just cause you can't handle risking a head on collision at a combined 180 mph, doesn't mean i can't, pussy.

Nope, but I tutored physics and philosophy in college....

Such duality. One line of thought telling you how everything works and another line telling you nothing exists as you know it.

No helmets = higher rates

death = lower health costs

no helmets = lower health cost.

Good for morticians, bad for insurance companies I guess.

Such duality. One line of thought telling you how everything works and another line telling you nothing exists as you know it.

Both are a form of inductive reasoning. First questions "what do we know, and what are we trying to figure out?"

I thought philosophy classes were for teaching people how to make espresso drinks.

How do you get a philosophy major off your porch? Pay for the pizza and close the door.

Not quite the same thing.

Smoke free Ohio is/was exactly the same thing. It takes away business owners' choice of whether or not they want to allow smoking in their establishments.

I hated smoke in bars, but that doesn't mean I think there needs to be a law to accommodate me. No one forces me to patronize such establishments. No one forces anyone to apply to work at them either.

I think smoking is less dumb than riding without a helmet, really, but which one is regulated in private businesses?

Smoke free Ohio is/was exactly the same thing. It takes away business owners' choice of whether or not they want to allow smoking in their establishments.

I hated smoke in bars, but that doesn't mean I think there needs to be a law to accommodate me. No one forces me to patronize such establishments. No one forces anyone to apply to work at them either.

I think smoking is less dumb than riding without a helmet, really, but which one is regulated in private businesses?

Flat wrong.

I don't have to share anybody's skull. They're free to splat it all over the road if they like and I have no part in it.

I DO share the same air in public places. It sucked to come home from a bar or restaurant and have everything down to my shoes stink. And the "it's your choice" bit is epic fail. They're called public places for a reason.

• Upvote 1

I'm generally for the government staying out of the "choice" area, but in this case I'm all for it. It's not the government or insurance companies that suffer for people getting in accidents when not wearing a helmet...it's the taxpayers. The government funds end up picking up a lot of that junk, and we're the one that pay for it.

On top of it, nobody wants their 16 year old kid to have to see a fool not wearing a helmet get his skull blasted in half because they got in a simple accident. Generally, the people that don't wear a helmet are also the ones that aren't as careful about their riding. 1 stupid stunt and that person's face is smashed in half on the back of an SUV.

LoL.. it's all about you, huh? Never mind the establishment owner's opinion. :lol:

lol - Yep. All about me.

But I could turn the same argument against the smokers. It's their right to stink the place up for everyone. Right?

No prude or tobacco hater here. Shit - I've owned the stock! Helluva dividend. Light 'em up! Just don't do it where I have to work or eat/drink.

Really, what I was arguing against was "smoke free" is "exactly the same" as mandatory helmet laws, which is utter bullshit.

So...Once more, with feeling:

Not wearing a helmet = stupid but no harm to anyone else. (Except maybe the insurance companies and the loved ones of the un-helmeted.)

Smoking in public places = affects anyone nearby.

• Upvote 1

lol - Yep. All about me.

But I could turn the same argument against the smokers. It's their right to stink the place up for everyone. Right?

No prude or tobacco hater here. Shit - I've owned the stock! Helluva dividend. Light 'em up! Just don't do it where I have to work or eat/drink.

Really, what I was arguing against was "smoke free" is "exactly the same" as mandatory helmet laws, which is utter bullshit.

So...Once more, with feeling:

Not wearing a helmet = stupid but no harm to anyone else. (Except maybe the insurance companies and the loved ones of the un-helmeted.)

Smoking in public places = affects anyone nearby.

Have you ever heard of a "no smoking section"?

Shouldn't it be a business owner's right to allow legal activities within their own establishments?

Have you ever heard of a "no smoking section"?

Shouldn't it be a business owner's right to allow legal activities within their own establishments?

Have you ever heard of a "no farting section?" Just about as effective.

Ya mean like free speech? Like yelling "fire" in a theatre?

I'm having a banner day. Taking counterpoint from IP and Mags.