Thinking of buying a van to haul bike but i have some questions.

cOoTeR

I need a bike hauler since i sold my truck awhile back. Trucks out here are expensive but vans are pretty easy to come by. I've known a few people who have hauled bikes in cargo vans and others who have hauled dirtbikes in conversion vans. I have found a couple of decent vans around $1k which seem to be close to nada rough value.

The one I'm leaning towards most is a 99 e-150 econoline conversion van with 189,000 miles. Supposedly great condition. It's one of the ones with carpet all over captains chairs and the back seat turns into a bed. Does anyone know how hard it is to remove the seats in one of these? Does anyone know if a sportbike will fit thru the rear opening? I don't mind if I've got to remove the windshield. If not it has a tow package so I can pick up a small trailer. I think it would be convenient to

be able to haul the bike and be able to sleep in the same area.

Are there any issues that the 99 e150's are know to have? Any idea on what normal gas mileage is for these? Does anyone know how hard it is to mount the pitbull tie down system(i think its called the trs) in a van? Any advice about using a van for hauling a bike?

Edited by cOoTeR

The gas mileage is 12mpg.

They chew up ball joints pretty frequently. Hard on brakes.

If you can find an E250 or 350 they are much better units for racking up trouble free miles.

Chevys 1/2 tons eat brakes and transmissions like crazy. Don't know a thing about dodges except the starters sound weird and they are the #1 choice of creepers, unless said creeper is gnome-like, then it's Astro all the way.

The beds in most conversions I believe are typically bolted in. I may be wrong as most of my experience is with cargos.

The bike should fit no problem. My buddy used to haul his super chicken to mi and back in an astro with bins by folding up the mirrors and pulling the windshield.

I hauled a katana in a ford cargo and don't think I took the windshield off.

They are a bitch to work on.

Hope that helps.

I used a enterprise e150 to haul my XX home when i bought it in Jersey. Fit no problem, even had room to sit on it and pretend i was riding it...

I averaged about 18 mpg for the trip across pa.

Seats and stuff should be as easy as unbolting...

I'd drop some d rings in those holes for strapping down the bike...

Edited by magley64

I'd be willing to sell my 1997 E350 van.  It has been so damn great to own that I am wanting a newer one with a diesel.  So, I may sell this one. 

I have a couple of options. 

1) I sell it as is and would be asking about $10k.  Pretty fair as the components on this thing are NOT just springs and spacers.  It is a legit lift that was well designed and looked to as being the best pre-runner setup you can buy.  Specs are below.  Again...  maybe less...

2) buy it as stock with the new components from the new van I buy and essentially take it back to stock.  I would sell it for $6k OBO.

Specs:

-130k miles

-Auto

-SCT Tuner for mapping

-Pre-runner (NOT 4x4 like it appears)

-Action Van lift that has control arms, blocks, springs, bushings, Bilsteins, brackets, and Bilstein steerin damper.  Kit cost $3k

-Teflon coated American Racing 17" wheels wrapped in Hankook tires with a full size spare.

-Bushwhacker fender flares

-Aluminess rear spare tire carrier

-Aluminess front brush and light bar

-Curtis tow package

-full exhaust with Magna Flow muffler

-Limo tint all the way around.  NOBODY can see inside what you are hauling.

-Removed carpet in back and replaced with 1/2 marine grade plywood that has been stained black to avoid chips and visible gouges.

-Rubber truck bed mat to protect the wood and provide sound deadening.

-E-Track front and rear to haul bikes

-Pit Bull removable front wheel chock

-Pit Bull trailer Restraint base for TRS

-Kenwood DVD/stereo with iPod connect, Navigation and movie play on the go setup

Had the following done recently:

-Plugs replaced at 100k

-New battery at about 120k

-New transmission lines (T-line at side of tranny) replaced about 5k ago

-New brake lines replaced about 10k ago

-Transmission fluid and filter change at 5k ago

Basically, she is solid and runs great.  HAS SOME RUST as all these vans do.  You will not find a pre-2000 without the rust where this one is showing it.  Several 2000-2004s are rusted to hell and back actually.  It's tough finding them...

Anyways, if you're interested.  If not, take a look at the pics below and at least you will see what I did.  All the seats are still here, but I remove them in order to use the back.

driverfront2.jpg

driverside.jpg

back-1.jpg

Insidefloor1-1.jpg

Van3.jpg

I'd be willing to sell my 1997 E350 van.  It has been so damn great to own that I am wanting a newer one with a diesel.  So, I may sell this one. 

I have a couple of options. 

1) I sell it as is and would be asking about $10k.  Pretty fair as the components on this thing are NOT just springs and spacers.  It is a legit lift that was well designed and looked to as being the best pre-runner setup you can buy.  Specs are below.  Again...  maybe less...

2) buy it as stock with the new components from the new van I buy and essentially take it back to stock.  I would sell it for $6k OBO.

Specs:

-130k miles

-Auto

-SCT Tuner for mapping

-Pre-runner (NOT 4x4 like it appears)

-Action Van lift that has control arms, blocks, springs, bushings, Bilsteins, brackets, and Bilstein steerin damper.  Kit cost $3k

-Teflon coated American Racing 17" wheels wrapped in Hankook tires with a full size spare.

-Bushwhacker fender flares

-Aluminess rear spare tire carrier

-Aluminess front brush and light bar

-Curtis tow package

-full exhaust with Magna Flow muffler

-Limo tint all the way around.  NOBODY can see inside what you are hauling.

-Removed carpet in back and replaced with 1/2 marine grade plywood that has been stained black to avoid chips and visible gouges.

-Rubber truck bed mat to protect the wood and provide sound deadening.

-E-Track front and rear to haul bikes

-Pit Bull removable front wheel chock

-Pit Bull trailer Restraint base for TRS

-Kenwood DVD/stereo with iPod connect, Navigation and movie play on the go setup

Had the following done recently:

-Plugs replaced at 100k

-New battery at about 120k

-New transmission lines (T-line at side of tranny) replaced about 5k ago

-New brake lines replaced about 10k ago

-Transmission fluid and filter change at 5k ago

Basically, she is solid and runs great.  HAS SOME RUST as all these vans do.  You will not find a pre-2000 without the rust where this one is showing it.  Several 2000-2004s are rusted to hell and back actually.  It's tough finding them...

Anyways, if you're interested.  If not, take a look at the pics below and at least you will see what I did.  All the seats are still here, but I remove them in order to use the back.

driverfront2.jpg

driverside.jpg

back-1.jpg

Insidefloor1-1.jpg

Van3.jpg

I appreciate the offer but that's more than I'm looking to pay I'm just going to use it to haul a bike or 2 a handfull of times a year. Plus getting that from you to me is easily going to cost a grand in gas. But have you ever fit a bike inside the back? If so do you have any pics?

I've hauled numerous things. Diavel with mirrors, hyper, 1199, RC8, two dirty bikes and three brand new dirty bikes. Take some thought, but the first time you haul your bike and it's raining or snowing? Sold!!

And even with the van lifted 6", it is still lower than a stock pick up.

post-9483-0-86530400-1385042238_thumb.jp

post-9483-0-76015900-1385042271_thumb.jp

post-9483-0-54243400-1385042337_thumb.jp

post-9483-0-31954900-1385042409_thumb.jp

Be cautious. Once they click 100k, they tend to start eating turbos and parts...

Damn that sucks as they all have 100k-300k.

What else fails and why does the turbo fail so soon? Figured Mercedes engine would be more durable.

The turbos need to be replaced a good bit.  I had a couple of friends that had them since new and ran them to those miles and had some turbo issues.  I think the newer ones are OK, but they are a lot more.

I think it was all turbo related.  I will ask them and maybe tell you what I find out for you to know.  They are certainly bad ass and I want to do one with a lift look or maybe big tires and racks, etc.  But, couldn't find one with decent miles and not white...

We sell Sprinter vans.....beware.....premature failures galore. IF you're lucky, the major components will take a dump under warranty. We get these in the shop constantly with EGR valve issues, intake manifold issues, injection system issues, transmission/tc issues, driveline issues, differential bearing failures, electronics etc.....you name it and we've likely had to replace/repair it. The earlier Sprinters ( the older VA model ) with the I-5 are better if they've been babied with young miles.