Dishwashers

Gump

I got mine 19 years ago, it's an old reliable model I picked up at a fast food joint. Can't comment about being under the counter, I usually let her wander around the house as she pleases and occasionally I tell her she looks pretty. :D

Edited by 2talltim
  • Upvote 2

Honestly, this is a topic I often discuss with the wife, upgrading appliances.  We have a super basic stove and dishwasher and honestly, I think the basic ones are just fine.  Seem to clean just as well as any of my friends high end stainless interior ones, etc.

I actually was just looking today and believe ours is original so 15+ years old and the sprayer thing broke, 30 for a new one, but it still works, just comes off the base sometimes.  I figure when it finally goes, I will replace it, but I won't be buying an ultra expensive one.

Similar to my belief of clothes washers, I have the most basic model W/D and it works and has been for 6 years straight knock on wood.  About 8 loads a week, and trust me, these are overloaded loads.

I recommend ABC warehouse, Appliance Smart, Sears outlet, or HD/Lowes for their 12 months SAC only.

I took a peek a pricing. seems $300 to $900 is common. Any comments on what to avoid? I don't need fancy, it just needs to work. What about the water pressure topic, do they have their own pump?

Edited by Gump

Yeah they do, basically they just tap the water line, put clean water in the tank and then recycle it using their own pump/heater, etc.  It's a self contained unit once the water is in it.  Then it flushes out the pressure wash water that is first used and brings more in for the soap cycle, or at least for the final rinse cycle.

If it were me I would want one that has a full sprayer up top.  My parents got a real nice one like that at ABC warehouse or Sears outlet and it cleans real well.  Mine just has some thing that like expands up from the bottom sprayer and has 2 jets that's it.  Meaning that the water pressure and cleaning up top is far less than sweet.

Something like this is what I would get, http://www.homedepot.com/p/Frigidaire-24-in-Front-Control-Dishwasher-in-Stainless-Steel-FFBD2406NS/203512725?N=c3njZ1z10atj#.UpIOhtJavE0

I use HD as I have SAC offers all the time.  I was thinking about replacing ours once our kid starts eating real food, something more efficient and slightly newer/improved.  

Shit, I had no idea these were so cheap now, I don't even need stainless look just white, but for this price I might be upgrading sooner than later.  It has everything I want.

Our crappy old builders-special died about this time last year, so we replaced with a Black Friday deal on this one: http://www.kenmore.com/kenmore-elite-24inch-built-in-dishwasher-stainless-steel/p-02213963000P?prdNo=1&blockNo=1&blockType=G1

Its a Kenmore Elite model #13963

We paid $699 I think, and its been great.  VERY quiet except for about a 30 second period in the middle of its cycle.  Otherwise you don't really hear it.  

Very happy with it. 

Note:  Looking at the recent reviews, there are a lotttt of pissed off buyers, and may be quality control issues.   But like I said, ours has been great. 

Edited by YSR_Racer_99

I've got a $499 kenmore/maytag with turbo zone. Never used the turbo zone, I just turn the smart wash on and let it go. I also always turn the heated dry OFF. the water is hot enough a couple hours after running everything is dry unless a measuring cup gets flipped over

Over $400 you're paying for a quieter unit. You can buy one of the cheaper ones and wrap it in an old blanket to quiet it down. They supply them with a piece of foam sheeting to muffle the noise. Putting them in is pretty easy as long as you have electricity available somewhere close to where it's going.

Over $400 you're paying for a quieter unit. You can buy one of the cheaper ones and wrap it in an old blanket to quiet it down. They supply them with a piece of foam sheeting to muffle the noise. Putting them in is pretty easy as long as you have electricity available somewhere close to where it's going.

Kinda what I was thinking, ours is loud as crap but I bet the same model is like 250 at any outlet store, it's so basic.  Never thought about the blanket, but that, or just the packing foam sheet or an insulation board would probably work just as well or better. 

I don't use the heated dry either, just put in the rinse aid and fill it a few times a year.  Way cheaper than the energy it takes for all that, and my stuff is dry within a few hours easy.  

I got a kitchen aid on the 4th of July.

A lot of the new ones have a screen in them you have to pull out and clean. F-that.

Mine doesn't and it has 4 blades. It's really quiet and does really well. I can get you the model number.

I think I paid 620 iirc.

not exactly. Once you get over the 400 dollar mark, you get optical sensors to sense how dirty the water coming from the dishes is. It saves a ton of water because the machine will use only the amount of water truly necessary

I got a kitchen aid on the 4th of July.

A lot of the new ones have a screen in them you have to pull out and clean. F-that.

Mine doesn't and it has 4 blades. It's really quiet and does really well. I can get you the model number.

I think I paid 620 iirc.

F that? Because it takes all of 60 seconds to unscrew it and rinse it over the sink and screw it back in? Keeping any larger partials from clogging the drain line?

Thanks for all the info. I'll make sure it has sprayers up top. Anyone know what term of warranty is expected? Is 1 year normal or 3?

General rule of thumb, city water = no extended warranty, well or cistern water = probably not a bad idea to buy the extended warranty.

I'm a freak about clean dishes. I won't even let my wife do them. I do all the dishes in my house. I fucking hate dirty, spotty dishes. I don't think there's a dishwasher on the planet that I would be happy owning. :lol:

unless it was made by Ducati, minus the motor belt and water jet nozzle adjustments every 30 washes
  • Upvote 1

I have bought three in the last 17 years. Last one was a kitchen aid and it cleans so great you normally don't have to wipe off peanut butter before the wash. And it is so quiet I can barely hear it when I am in the kitchen a few feet away.

No regrets so far.