potential project- need opinions.

oldschoolsdime92

My grandfather gave me two of these rifles. They are hamilton 27s, He gave me one of each. There is a model 027 and a model 27. The 027 had a nicer walnut stock than then 27. They originally sold for 1.50 for the 27 and 1.75 for the 027. Heres my questions.

The 027 seems to have a broken trigger mechanism. The 27's trigger functions fine. Should I combine parts from both to make one good rifle, or should I just leave them be?

433C5DC3-ADD0-4EB3-9864-843C6CED4679-696

48C784E8-724E-45D9-AD57-CCDD063D474E-696

E2636896-D545-4DAD-AFF2-9D3995278B60-696

Edited by oldschoolsdime92

If you repair by replacing parts, NRA value is "good", although no one might ever know about repairs.

If you trade parts, you wind up with two "poor" to fair" pieces, although no one might ever know about the swap.

We're only talking about $35 to $135 each though.

Unless the remaining metal finish is very good or fine. (more than 30%)

I'd leave them as is, and repair that trigger. Might be only a few dollars for parts.

I get the impression it was easy to break a trigger group, and easy to booger up the trigger when trying to repair it.

Shoot the good one first, and then decide? Not much lost if you do swap parts, and could swap back anyway.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Hamilton-33277/NO2722Cal-36456.htm

http://home.comcast.net/~jimringbauer/HamiltonRiflesindex.html

edit: it appears it's .22 short and .22 long. No .22 LR. And check the barrel bore, they were often made of brass and cracked. And I notice your article says don't shoot it at all, modern ammo isn't compatible.

Edited by ReconRat

Gotta agree with ReconRat, repair and preserve.  Those are cool old rifles that would be awesome to own not only for what they are but also for the family history.  I tend to agree with the one statement from that linked article, if you do want to shoot them then stick with the CCI CB shorts or the Aguila Super Colibi ammunition.  Those old guns usually don't take well to high velocity ammo.  I have an old Stevens model 70 visible loader.  It will shoot all day on CB's and low velocity shorts, the first modern LR round you put in it and it is jammed up tighter than heck and requires tools to get working again.

I hadn't planned to shoot them, due to the possibility of further damage . I just thought I'd get them both functional. They aren't in very good shape , the blue is rough on both of them . They both are both sloppy in the locked position. I don't want to lose and eye! ( I hear Christmas story in my head, " your going to shoot your eye out!) thanks for the input and the link for parts. Repair and preserve sounds like the hot ticket .

My opinion would be either leave them as they are or try to repair. Being from a grandparent I'd want to have both in either the condition you receive them or both functioning without changing them too much.