Muzzle loaders

speedytriple

I was taught to carry some wet patches and dry patches in my ditty bag.  After a shot and still in the field, to swab the barrel with a wet one, then a dry one then reload.  That helps keep some of the build up from the powder in the barrel.  After all that, the second shot will not zero in the same as the first shot did.  Mine is consistently off a bit high and slightly to the right, iirc.  So you can adjust your aim to account for this, so I would practice with a first shot (clean barrel), and also practice some on second shots, however you are going to do that, so you can see where your aim goes after that first shot.  Another thing you might want to also do this so you can practice some speed ( and how to keep quiet) at reloading to get that second shot off.

just my $.02.....

Wow, that looks like an awesome muzzy....all set for a scope.  Get the very best you can afford.  I like my leupold......it gathers a ton of light so shooting in lesser light scenario's is cool.  Too bad you're all the way up by Cleveland, would like to go out target practicing sometime.  Well, get lots of practice in so you can make a clean kill first shot.

Best of luck!

LOL, when I bought my muzzy I bought the scope along with it, had it mounted up.  I think the gun cost me like $99 and the scope....several hundred dollars.  Like I said tho, I am very glad I did it and have killed plenty of deer with the combo so it works for me!

When I bought it, it had a beautiful wood stock.  Then one morning I was pulling the gun up into my treestand and the rope broke and when the gun hit the ground it broke the stock in half.  The only stock I could find without ordering one, was a black synthetic one.  It works, but man do I miss the looks of the wood stock.

I'm probably going to pick up a CVS AccuraV2 at some point this year. Between the CVA and the TC no one seems to be doing much better than 1-1.5" at 100 yards so the extra coin for the TC isn't really justified IMO. Honestly I would like one of the Ultimate Firearms muzzle loaders but they are in the $2500+ range of which I'll pass on at this point.

Honestly the only reason Ill grab one is to allow me a bit more opportunity for meat in case I haven't filled my tags with the bow or shotgun by then. From an accuracy perspective I can manage 1-1.5" groups @100 yds with my 12 gauge running the 300gr Hornady SST.

Edited by flounder

Disclaimer - I have no experience with in-lines, but I've been hunting with a muzzleloader since I built mine from a kit from TC in '78.  Personally, I wouldn't buy a gun this close to season and hunt with it.  I'd buy it during the summer and spend time with it on the range.  Warm weather is better for the job since you're not hurrying to get in out of the cold or short-cutting to get ready for season.  Not saying you're not capable or anything else!  Just my two cents.  I've used my muzzle loader for ground hogs to keep me sharp and extend my season.  Talk about fun!

The good advice in posts in this thread condensed:

Clean your barrel between shots for zero.

Clean at least every third shot during practice

Mark your ramrod.  Very important

Carry wet patches in a ziplock

Leave your gun in the garage or trunk where it can acclimate to the cold before you load.  Condensation is your enemy.

Practice loading a follow up shot.

Other tips:

Occasionally check your load with your ramrod if you're walking around a bunch while hunting, especially if you carry barrel down.  You should never have a problem with this, but shit happens.  And if you decide on a more "trad" gun later and shoot round balls, this is a little more important.  Make sure your load hasn't moved in the barrel (Marked Ramrod, right?)

Carry speedloaders or premeasured powder in 35mm film canisters.

Before you load your nice clean gun for hunting, snap two to three caps to clear any residual oil from the breach and nipple.

Don't just zero at one distance, know your trajectory at a couple distances.  My Hawkin is dead on at 100 yards and 6 inches high at 50...  Big difference.

Hope this helps.

Hint for cleaning - I just tried some TC Foaming Bore Cleaner. That stuff is like magic. Bore looks like new after a day of shooting. Let my bro use it to try to get the breach outta an old bolt action muzzy he had and actually got it free after letting it soak. I was very impressed.

Thanks for all the input guys, I am still gonna go with the cva v2. I will get in as much practice as I can before the season hits for deer. We have a range day planned for Sunday this weekend at my buddies house. He is picking up a 30/30 and I am getting my muzzle loader. We are planning to shoot out of the back of his barn with a heater running. Should allow for up to a 200 yrd shot. I am looking to zero at 50 and 100 with the muzzle loader. Planning to break it in and zero it this weekend. Have plenty of time to get in two or three more shooting  sessions before Jan hits for deer season. I will have to look for some of the foaming bore cleaner when I get the gun this weekend. I will be sure to mark the rod when I first load it clean to make sure it is more consistent. Just wondering if the "better" barrel is worth the money?

I plan to use it on yotes at my buddies house he has been having a problem with them coming up to the house to close. We were out deer hunting Sunday and saw prints within ten feet of his house. His wife was not pleased and wants them dispatched right now. He had prints over top of the sled prints where he was pulling his kid around earlier that day. He is getting a call and one of those moving rabbit tail decoys to set up. The one set of prints is as big as a labs paw print. Plan to practice some on the yotes before deer season hits. 

Tempting, but what kind of scope is it? I can get the camo/ss with just scope rings version from fin that is 3 miles away from me for $279. It is a 2 1/2 hour drive for me to get to any cabelas stores. The one in Mich is just as close as the one in c-bus is to me. If it has a decent scope on it might be worth checking out. 

The flyer says its the konus illuminated reticle. I have no knowledge of them except for it seems like it is who CVA uses for their combos per their website.

Fuel savings alone, not including your time, FFF seems like the better option for you

sent from a treestand on the back forty

Well went and picked up the muzzy today and a bunch of the stuff to get started. Cva optima v2 in camo/stainless with the fiber optic irons. I added a set of leopold see through rings with a bushnell banner 1.5x4.5x32 scope. On sale for $289, scope was $89 plus the weaver base and rings.

post-10447-0-10216300-1387046849_thumb.j